Behren Morton

JMR13

sauce chef

Was locked in and ready to sign to Texas Tech, but then they fired Yost who he committed to and posted on twitter last night, hes gonna "reflect" and look around at his options.

Has already come out and said he is hearing from Texas TCU OK State and Miami. We haven't offered yet (at least not according to 247 profile.)

Kid is your prototypical Texas gunslinger, a three sport athlete, baseball, basketball and football and has started since his Sophomore year on Varsity. Has a cannon for an arm and can make any throw on the field.

YearYearGradeTeamGPCATTYDSC%AVGY/GC/GTDTD/GINTLNGQB RTG
Varsity Totals346139488807.64714.4259.018.0852.51593118.0
20-21SeniorVarsity132663883613.68613.6277.920.5372.8676123.4
19-20JuniorVarsity101502492521.60216.8252.115.0292.9378128.3
18-19SophomoreVarsity101852952435.62713.2243.518.5181.8493103.4

Watch the film and let it speak for itself, but this is a kid I would personally take over Garcia without a second thought. ( I do think Garcia ends up in this class unless him and his dad decide to take Herm up on his offer.)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Small, small town competition. Physical attributes are there. I just don't know. You always gamble on these small town kids.
That's true...but...small town football in a place like Texas isn't your usual small town football in say a place like Arkansas or Oklahoma. These Texas towns literally shut down for the evening to go watch/support the high school football scene. I'm always okay with taking a TX kid especially at QB.

That's true...but...small town football in a place like Texas isn't your usual small town football in say a place like Arkansas or Oklahoma. These Texas towns literally shut down for the evening to go watch/support the high school football scene. I'm always okay with taking a TX kid especially at QB.

Trust me, I know.... 22 years ago I graduated from one of the schools prominently featured in Morton's highlight reels, lol. Whole lot of passion, but the athleticism gap from there compared to Miami Northwestern, for example, is insane.

Small, small town competition. Physical attributes are there. I just don't know. You always gamble on these small town kids.

I get that but attributes are what I'm mainly looking at when evaluating a HS kid's tape, obviously kids can only play whats in front of them. This may sound dumb to some of you but this kids tape is very similar to me of a 2014 Texas QB who also happened to go to Ttech. Alot of scrambling off-balanced shortstop like throws and the arm power to basically make any throw on the field while making it look easy. Now in no way am I comparing him to that player, just saying their films out of high school look similar to me.

Advertisement
Triple sport athlete that plays Basketball, Baseball & Football. In Baseball had a .300 batting average 42 hits 22 RBI's 34 runs 26 stolen bases, with a .396 On base % & .371 in slugging.

Finished his HS career with 8,807yds 85TD's & 15INT's in 3 years as a starter, his Senior this year had 3,613yds 37TD's 6INT's at 68.6%cmp with 893yds & 19TD's rushing. He even played Safety & had 35tcks 5PBU's 3TFL's & 1INT, he was also his team's Kickoff Kicker & Extra point Kicker making 7/8 XP's.

Super versatile QB with a loose arm, quick trigger release, he gets very good velocity on the ball throwing pure bullets in the intermediate routes threading the needle into tight Windows, but can also take a little off the fastball & throw with anticipation & touch. Can throw from multiple platforms changing his arm angles on a whim when escaping the pocket & throwing the ball on the run. He's a highly accurate strong armed QB with surprisingly good athletic traits, he runs an official 4.7 40 & 4.22 shuttle (The opening) and as a basketball player has very good coordinated feet. His most impressive feat is his Football IQ, he's allowed to make checks & audibles at the line, he runs a classic Texas Air Raid offense, but they also call quite a few designed runs for him as well, so his trajectory transitioning to the college level will be smooth, he's not just a one read & go style QB.

He's a 3 time district MVP & was 5th in the final Elite 11 rankings.

He's been a staunch Texas Tech commit since October of 2019, but since Matt Wells fired OC David Yost, he decided to hold off on signing on Wednesday.

The last triple sport athlete QB that signed with Texas Tech was none other than Pat Mahomes, not saying this kid is as good a Pat, just saying that these Big XII programs can identify QB's with crazy upside better than any ACC program not named Clemson. If we miss on Garcia, we'd be insane to not offer & try to steal him.

He's one of my favorite QB's in this class, I would take him ahead of Garcia in a heartbeat, but I think our staff is just too in love with Garcia, but this is why our recruiting strategy needs to change because had we offered this kid months ago & continued to work on'em we'd be in a much better postion to land a kid with an extremely high ceiling like this.

Trust me, I know.... 22 years ago I graduated from one of the schools prominently featured in Morton's highlight reels, lol. Whole lot of passion, but the athleticism gap from there compared to Miami Northwestern, for example, is insane.
That's hit or miss. Kellen Winslow played against garbage competition - San Diego parochial and prep schools and it didn't matter once he got here. Willie Dixon played against similar competition and his balls shark 10 sizes once he saw corners and safeties as big as him and nearly as fast.

Triple sport athlete that plays Basketball, Baseball & Football. In Baseball had a .300 batting average 42 hits 22 RBI's 34 runs 26 stolen bases, with a .396 On base % & .371 in slugging.

Finished his HS career with 8,807yds 85TD's & 15INT's in 3 years as a starter, his Senior this year had 3,613yds 37TD's 6INT's at 68.6%cmp with 893yds & 19TD's rushing. He even played Safety & had 35tcks 5PBU's 3TFL's & 1INT, he was also his team's Kickoff Kicker & Extra point Kicker making 7/8 XP's.

Super versatile QB with a loose arm, quick trigger release, he gets very good velocity on the ball throwing pure bullets in the intermediate routes threading the needle into tight Windows, but can also take a little off the fastball & throw with anticipation & touch. Can throw from multiple platforms changing his arm angles on a whim when escaping the pocket & throwing the ball on the run. He's a highly accurate strong armed QB with surprisingly good athletic traits, he runs an official 4.7 40 & 4.22 shuttle (The opening) and as a basketball player has very good coordinated feet. His most impressive feat is his Football IQ, he's allowed to make checks & audibles at the line, he runs a classic Texas Air Raid offense, but they also call quite a few designed runs for him as well, so his trajectory transitioning to the college level will be smooth, he's not just a one read & go style QB.

He's been a staunch Texas Tech commit since October of 2019, but since Matt Wells fired OC David Yost, he decided to hold off on signing on Wednesday.

The last triple sport athlete QB that signed with Texas Tech was none other than Pat Mahomes, not saying this kid is as good a Pat, just saying that these Big XII programs can identify QB's with crazy upside better than any ACC program not named Clemson. If we miss on Garcia, we'd be insane to not offer & try to steal him.

He's one of my favorite QB's in this class, I would take him ahead of Garcia in a heartbeat, but I think our staff is just too in love with Garcia, but this is why our recruiting strategy needs to change because had we offered this kid months ago & continued to work on'em we'd be in a much better postion to land a kid with an extremely high ceiling like this.
Would take him in a heartbeat over Garcia..I still think Garcia is very overrated but that’s just me...

Advertisement

And at the time, no one really thought much of Mahomes as he was just a 3-star. I'm all for this guy quite honestly. You want multi-sport athletes, especially at QB.

Advertisement
AJ Highsmith was incredibly out of position. Dewey had a career ending injury, iirc.
Oh we recruited Highsmith as a QB and he couldn't play at this level so we stuck him at safety because he had literally nothing there. I think his pro day numbers were 5'9 185 4.8.

I remember Dewey had a high school injury but when he recovered there was just nothing there.

Advertisement
Back