before I go back to the Charlo PPV, a few quick thoughts...

k9cane

Senior
- two weeks in a row on prime time ABC, our time to showcase this program and our offense shined. This is a great recruiting pitch at this point. We needed home runs, Lashlee hit two grand slams like Roy Hobbs with 'the Savoy Special'

-- I dont care how putrid FSU is , after that 7 game streak, and the fact they are our rivals, it feels great. Four in a row. And this wasn't even close, complete domination. We killed that program for the next decade, I really believe that. What kid in Dade County would want to go there over UM, at this point? This is why a blowout was vital

- Can you imagine if this was in front of a real crowd at Hard Rock? We get this thing right and we'll have one of the most consistently electric and intimidating home field advantages in the country

- Im watching this game over and over, it'll be like my new 'Bad News Bears' or 'Karate Kid'. Anyone that had to live through the 1997 FSU blowout will understand. I'll be able to sing along to it like 'the Rocky Horrow Show' by next week

- One minor quibble, our defense frustrates me with their poor situational awareness. FSU on 3rd and longs, were going with draws or that misdirection play, they weren't dare letting that Oline block the UM front. They kept getting beat on that play and gave up chunks. Again, I know, we killed'em, but this is really about the future as we play better teams

- Onto Clemson, hey, onto Death Valley. Lets see what we're really all about.

Last edited:
Advertisement
- Can you imagine if this was in front of a real crowd at Hard Rock? We get this thing right and we'll have one of the most consistently electric and intimidating home field advantages in the country
I was thinking about this all evening. In some ways it would have been great ... ....BUT... ...not hearing their stupid band do their stupid tomahawk chop was fantastic.
I think it evens out in my mind.

- two weeks in a row on prime time ABC, our time and offense shined. This is a great recruiting pitch at this point. We needed home runs, Lashlee hit two grand slams like Roy Hobbs with 'the Savoy Special'

-- I dont care how putrid FSU is , after that 7 game streak, and the fact they are our rivals, it feels great. Four in a row. And this wasn't even close, complete domination. We killed that program for the next decade, I really believe that. What kid in Dade County would want to go there over UM, at this point? This is why a blowout was vital

- Im watching this game over and over, it'll be like my new 'Bad News Bears' or 'Karate Kid'. Anyone that had to live through the 1997 FSU blowout will understand. I'll be able to sing along to it like 'the Rocky Horrow Show' by next week

- One minor quibble, our defense frustrates me with their poor situational awareness. FSU on 3rd and longs, were going with draws or that misdirection play, they weren't dare letting that Oline block the UM front. They kept getting beat on that play and gave up chunks. Again, I know, we killed'em, but this is really about the future as we play better teams

- Onto Clemson, hey, onto Death Valley. Lets see what we're really all about.
This is why I come to CIS. Well said.

He is everything that was advertised and more.
Truly a dynamic QB. Nothing he can't do and a real leader. Special player and we are lucky to have him.

Advertisement
He is everything that was advertised and more.
Truly a dynamic QB. Nothing he can't do and a real leader. Special player and we are lucky to have him.

D-King has been a Godsend, no doubt about it. It was impressive tonight how he was just dropping back, surveying the field and just putting it on guys consistently

alright, so upon closer re-watch (without being distracted by the fights) some more thoughts:

- that's the most satisfying blowout (and I dont mean vs Beth Cookmeameal, et al) since Washington 2001. Because as I mentioned before, national TV, prime time vs a rival. It seemed like our staff and players understood the importance of it. Im not going to say we're 'back', but this feels pretty **** good

-- Gilbert Freirson is really coming on as a player. I think he needs more snaps. Last two weeks he has made plays, and he's playing fast and aggressive. Really like what I've seen from 3.

-- Also Nestor Silvera is starting to become a bit of a trench bully, becoming more consistent week to week inside.

-- Bradley Jennings will always struggle out in space, that's just the reality. Saw more of Sam Brooks today, which I think is a positive. Have to be faster overall at this spot.

- Love how much we are going for it on 4th down, with this new offense and it's proficiency, it's the right move on many levels

-- Offensive line, still might be a bit of a work in progress, but they were outstanding in pass pro (as were the young freshman backs) But yeah, system and coaching matters.

-- X-and-O gurus, was I wrong in stating that UM ran more basic stuff defensively, rushing four, dropping seven? Or when they brought pressures, it wasn't that delayed stuff we all hate? And to me, that was fine, with Miami's ability to rush upfront with guys like Phillips and Roche, just be basic and let your athletes be athletes -- then add an occasional wrinkle.

the only time UM got hit last night was on those QB draws and misdirection plays on 3rd and long situations

- Looking at FSU, it's not THAT long ago they were dominant program and won the title in 2013. They even made the playoffs the following year. But how quickly and far this program has fallen is a lot like Miami in the 90's (or maybe after 2003) but this was without probation and they had Jimbo Fischer (who is highly regarded as a head coach). I recall them having a lot of highly recruited classes after 2015.

But post-Dalvin Cook -- who bailed them out plenty -- they have been bad. I really think they have a toxic culture. I have never seen a group of players who keep yapping their mouths, pushing, shoving trying to start fights, etc, while getting blown out. Even worse they dont seem to have any self awareness about it. They have a lot of bad apples, a bunch of front runners. Right now, if they are a stock, they are Enron in 2001.

Just looking at that roster, outside of Amari Gainer and Samuels Jr. how many of their guys could play a significant role at UM? There are a good number of guys who spurned UM for FSU, that had to be a factor in how they behaved last night as they were getting emasculated. They know they made the wrong choice.

Meanwhile, I haven't seen a UM players have this much fun in years. They are really enthusiastic and engaged. I have to give Jaelen Phillips credit, he seems to really love being a Hurricane and leading out there, setting the tone emotionally. The time off from football has really given him a purpose. It's too bad he's already in his contract year.

- About Harley and Pope, yeah, they had some flubs, again. But I'll give them credit, early on, they made the routine plays when they were called on, and they extended drives. I get it, they're not Kevin Williams or Santana Moss, but as long as they can do this, this offense will be fine. The way 'Netflix' Lashlee schemes things up, you will get open, just catch the ball, and honestly, you don't even need to get all that much YAC, just hold onto the ball. Get up, get the ball back to the official for him to spot it and run another play. Which is my point: just average WR play can make this offense run. Regardless, I'd like to see Wiggins and the younger guys involved more moving forward

-- Finally, I'll make the assumption that our game vs Clemson will be the ABC prime time game. That's three in a row. Cant remember the last time ANY program had that stage. Another big opportunity for the U. Y'know, Im not afraid of this game...that much, lol

Advertisement
Back