Beating a dead LB horse

Advertisement
I'm sorry, but if Brooks hasn't gotten it by now. And if Avery Huff hasn't gotten it by now..

Why is it that Flagg can step in an ball, but we're handicapped when we try to play athletic linebackers?

Flagg and Steed have made the headiest plays to date from the LB position.

We really do have an issue with getting linebackers these past few years and something needs to change.
Call me crazy, but I'd be willing to bet Flagg has had better coaching before he arrived here than most of our LBs have had their entire lives, including at UM. There's a reason he looks natural out there, and most of the others do not. We don't have a coach on our staff that teaches LB play, because they don't know LB play. How many of them played LB? ****, how many coaches on that side of the ball played football at all?

Call me crazy, but I'd be willing to bet Flagg has had better coaching before he arrived here than most of our LBs have had their entire lives, including at UM. There's a reason he looks natural out there, and most of the others do not. We don't have a coach on our staff that teaches LB play, because they don't know LB play. How many of them played LB? ****, how many coaches on that side of the ball played football at all?

You don't have to be a former player to teach others, but I agree with what else you said.

We can't just keep recruiting 215 pound linebackers thinking they're going to be a beast.

How many fast linebackers have we recently missed on? Wilder, Avery Huff, Sam Brooks... How many transferred? I missing a few.

Really, we just want production. That's it. lol.

Avery Huff was a late admission last season. No spring and virtually no fall practice time. This year no spring and limited fall.

For being as athletic as he is, even considering his situation, it's still depressing.

If Huff hasn't cracked the lineup with out current backers, he's going to need a brain transplant to step foot on the field.

You don't have to be a former player to teach others, but I agree with what else you said.

We can't just keep recruiting 215 pound linebackers thinking they're going to be a beast.

How many fast linebackers have we recently missed on? Wilder, Avery Huff, Sam Brooks... How many transferred? I missing a few.

Really, we just want production. That's it. lol.
No, you certainly don't have to be a player at a position to coach. Thing is, how many of our D coaches played at all? Manny included. It just seems our LB play is so bad because they are not getting coached properly. It looks to me like we don't have a coach that understands what it takes to be a good LB, and I think part of that is because we have so few coaches on that side that played.

We have not had one LB get better in the last 5 years. Not one. That is coaching, or lack of it. I don't believe it is a coincidence that position group is the one that has had the most corching.

Advertisement

People complained about Michael Barrow when he was here, he played at the highest level.
Fans will be fans and find something to complain about.
We are 4-1 yet almost every thread on the first page here is negative.

I disagree as to Brooks. Maybe its because I am comparing him to McCloud and Jennings, but his speed pops off the screen. I'll take Brooks with Flagg and hopefully a lot more help coming next year and continued development of Austin-Cave and Huff.

People complained about Michael Barrow when he was here, he played at the highest level.
Fans will be fans and find something to complain about.
We are 4-1 yet almost every thread on the first page here is negative.
So we should just ignore what we can all clearly see are weaknesses?

Just for fun, name me one LB that has improved the last 5 years.

I'm sorry, but Manny can coach on D. He's done a good job on that side since he's been here. We've had a fair share of draft picks on the d-line and in the secondary. I saw Corn Elder this weekend make a heck of a play. Take a look at Harrison-Hunte this year. I don't think it's coaching, as much as I just don't think the LBs are as talented as we think they are. That may be a recruiting/talent assessment problem but I don't think it's fair to point it at coaching.

Advertisement
Advertisement
So we should just ignore what we can all clearly see are weaknesses?

Just for fun, name me one LB that has improved the last 5 years.

You wrote that our coaches are bad cause none played the game.
My point is Barrow did play it and still people complained.
4-1 is all I have to say, people like to pick on the LBs but they haven't been that bad.
When we have struggled our problems have been WRs, QB and OL.

Yet people love to pick on the LBs.

PFF can suck my fúckin áss.

We are 4-1 with our only loss to the #1 team/program in the country.

Our defense has been dominant.

Fúck the haters!

GO CANES!!!

you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. Believe me they are getting good coaching. No matter what it comes down to how bad the kids want it. If they truly wanted to be on the field and have the athletic ability then it just comes down to the fact that they are not putting in the work! I promise the coaches want them on the field

Advertisement
This one blows my mind, in his small amount of pt he stayed around the ball. And he’s moves a lot better than the sloth brothers.
the kid had his first and third years in the program totally wiped out by knee surgeries. i hope he continues to develop as well but it's not that hard to understand why he hasn't played much.

I’d love to see Flagg and Steed start with cave and Huff as backups, but “experience at linebacker” is what matters to the coaches.

Give me more Steed, Brooks, and Flagg. Don't care what PFF says about Brooks. He is young and will make some mistakes but has flashed more skills than Jennings/McCloud with far less time.
Brooks got 12 tackles in the bowl game, how bad can he be : I really don't understand how hard it is to coach LB's but it seems historically we have place big time linebackers in the league: it's just recently there seems to be an issue : Mccloud has been here for 5 years and seems more lost then the day he got here. I liked the kid but there was one play on Saturday he literally never got out of his stance till the receiver caught the ball next to him, and I think he had the TE down by the goal line, and let him walked right by him, just like he did at Clemson:

The more I read this thread and consider it, the more I disagree. Shaq was a 4-year starter. He's on a **** NFL roster. Last time I checked, Pinckney is on the Pats practice squad. Obviously, NFL folks think enough of them to have them on the team. Was either one (or anyone on the current roster) Vilma, Dan Morgan, Beason, DJ, etc., no but that's also a high standard. Unfortunately, we're not going to have 1st round picks on every team.

I do agree that we could use a speed upgrade at that position, particularly with the way offenses are structured now-and that is a fair criticism-but if you read this thread, you'd think Manny and co. have fielded bums at LB and that's not the case.

BTW-not picking on anyone in this thread in particular-but when we recruit the small, fast types (think Sean Spence), we criticize recruiting smaller backers that aren't physical enough and can't get off blocks, etc. "Why are we so small compared to Bama?" "Swasey sucks, bro." When we recruit the bigger guys, well, they're not fast enough. Unfortunately, 235 lb thumpers that run 4.5 don't grow on trees. (And when we've largely sucked for years, we're not going to get the pick of the litter either.)

Advertisement
Back