Be Patient Look how long it took these guys.

8-4 Progress brother!
And there will be people here blaming it on defensive tackles or cornerbacks. And then when they fall back to 6-6 in 2025 it will be “oh we didn’t have Cam and the schedule was tougher” and then when it’s another 7-5 year after it will be something else.

It’s now or never. I think Mario is well aware of that. It’s why he went so hard on one year rentals in the portal. He knows he’s been a failure so far. He’s desperate to right the ship.

Advertisement
No, my guy, the standard is not w/e u accept it to be, it’s what a program have set it to be.

If we were SuntanU, then yes, what we’ve experienced for over 20 yrs would be the standard; but, when u flex as a Blue Blood, those standards change.

It’s quite unreasonable to think a team should win a championship every year, but when u’re a Blue Blood or want to be considered one, it’s not unthinkable to expect to be competing or vying for those titles.

U brought up UGA’s drought, & one thing I wish this fan base will immediately stop doing is comparing ourselves to others b/c they not like us (pun intended).

What I’ll do is provide championship droughts between programs that’s won the last 4 titles, & let’s see what happened during their championship droughts:

1. Meechigan - Drought from 1998-2022 (25 yrs):
10 win seasons: 11 (44%)
Conference Titles: 6 (24%)
Divisional Titles: 2* (17%)
Bowl Victories: 7 including 2 NY6 bowls (28%)
CFP: 2* (22%)
Top 25 Finishes: 17 (68%)
*Divisions in B1G didn’t begin until 2011
*CFP wasn’t created until 2014

2. UGA - Drought from 1981-2020 (40 yrs):
10 win seasons: 17 (43%)
Conference Titles: 5 (13%)
Divisional Titles: 8* (28%)
Bowl Victories: 23 including 7 NY6 bowls (58%)
CFP: 3* (43%)
Top 25 Finishes: 27 (68%)
*Divisions in SEC didn’t begin until 1991
*CFP wasn’t created until 2014

3. Bama. Drought from 1993-2008 (15 yrs):
10 win seasons: 6 (40%)
Conference Titles: 1 (7%)
Divisional Titles: 5 (33%)
Bowl Victories: 6 including 1 NY6 bowl (40%)
CFP: N/A
Top 25 Fnishes: 8 (53%)

Now, let’s compare to us.

Miami. Drought from 2002-present (22 yrs):
10 win seasons: 3 (14%)
Conference Titles: 2* (9%)
Divisional Titles: 1* (5%)
Bowl Victories: 4 including 2 NY6 bowls (18%)
CFP: 0 (0%)
Top 25 Finishes: 8 (36%)
*Conference Titles came from the now defunct Big East
*Joined ACC in 2004 & began divisional play

****, for chits & giggles, let’s compare us to USC

USC. Drought from 2005-present (19 yrs):
10 win seasons: 9 (47%)
Conference Titles: 5 (26%)
Divisional Titles: 3* (27%)
Bowl Victories: 8 including 4 NY6 bowls (42%)
CFP: 0 (0%)
Top 25 Finishes: 12 (63%)
*PAC-12 Divisions were from 2011-2021

Are u seeing a glaring difference? Even programs who went through or are currently going through long droughts still gave their fans something to hang on to, whether that was a top 25 finish 2/3 yrs, a 10 win season 2/5 yrs, or a bowl victory 2/5 yrs.

We’ve been well below this simple standard, & it’s not close.
These numbers are startling and probably deserve a thread on its own but you can just quote for the be patient threads from now on.. my gawd :ohhdamnn:

If we had back to back 10 win seasons Mario would be praised as a hero on CIS. Michigan is th exception to the rule IMO. Usually you know what you have after 3 years with a head coach. If Mario Crashes and burns this season, he will more than likely fail here IMO.
Not only will he fail here, he'd have a hard time finding a decent HC job anywhere. The whole QB killer moniker will go into overdrive if he screws up with Cam Ward. ***** this up, and he really has a problem moving forward. A very, very big problem. Especially in today's game.

Starting to wear out a theme, but every year CIS says the schedule is favorable; all other teams are trash bc of last year, our talent, nevermind our last 2 decades, make or break year, 10 wins floor...

Other teams on our soft schedule might not be so soft.

I see 2 likely wins (but MTSU) and the rest are tossups in this cupcake schedule of ours.

I like @Dwins analysis and pray he's right, but I see injuries on the horizon, Mario's coaching, and other teams wanting to win too with equal or similar talent, hence; 7-5 incoming.

Advertisement
The sad truth is that usually you know what you have after 2 years.

But I think most of us still want to believe and have hope in Mario so we're making this mythical 3 year timeline our new reality.

But every National Title head coach in the modern era has shown a significant and meaningful improvement on their team by year 2.
We absolutely showed improvement in all categories except for the ability of to get out of the way and let his coaches coach. Offense was much better even though our QB got exposed then we started other bums 3 games (one being a true freshman with below average physical ability). He and TVPee ***ked up the GT game for sure. Defense improved tremendously as well. You’re blind if you say the team didn’t improve significantly!! It just didn’t show as much in the win category as we wanted.

Patience! Again I say, patience! We all do not develop at the same pace. The fact that Harbaugh won more games than Mario in year-2 does not necessarily mean that Mario is doing a poor job. You’ve got to look at the team each inherited, recruiting success of each, player efforts from their teams etc. Clearly Mario inherited more problems than Harbaugh. He is recruiting at a hire level as well. Mario’s teams are fighting to the end and don’t give up like prior UM teams. The wins will start coming soon with more high level recruiting.

Who would Miami hire today to replace Mario that can recruit at the same level as Mario? I don’t see any right now that is feasible. Therefore, we need to give the man more time. This is not the do or die year for Mario.

We absolutely showed improvement in all categories except for the ability of to get out of the way and let his coaches coach. Offense was much better even though our QB got exposed then we started other bums 3 games (one being a true freshman with below average physical ability). He and TVPee ***ked up the GT game for sure. Defense improved tremendously as well. You’re blind if you say the team didn’t improve significantly!! It just didn’t show as much in the win category as we wanted.
Improved from year 1, definitely. Because he took like 10 steps back in 2022.

But not significantly improved from Manny's teams.

Starting to wear out a theme, but every year CIS says the schedule is favorable; all other teams are trash bc of last year, our talent, nevermind our last 2 decades, make or break year, 10 wins floor...

Other teams on our soft schedule might not be so soft.

I see 2 likely wins (but MTSU) and the rest are tossups in this cupcake schedule of ours.

I like @Dwins analysis and pray he's right, but I see injuries on the horizon, Mario's coaching, and other teams wanting to win too with equal or similar talent, hence; 7-5 incoming.
We don’t have an opponent on the schedule who has equal talent. This isn’t the Al Golden years where we thought we’re good because he was signing 18th ranked classes. This team has recruited significantly better than that and has the luxury of adding a top 5 quarterback and top 5 running back through the portal. All things equal, there isn’t a Miami team in the last 18 or more years that’s as talented as this one. It would take a tremendous effort of garbage coaching and significant injuries to ***** this one up. I mean it could technically happen but if that’s the case, they need to scrap the whole thing and start all over again because that would make this staff the worst staff in football history and I personally don’t think they’re that bad.

Advertisement
Mario helps Dan pull together program support for a Top 10 NIL program
Mario signs 2 Top 10 classes in a row
Mario replaces pretty much every coach any fan had a beef with (except Salave'a who is our Islander pipeline)
Mario brings in the top QB and RB from the portal, and fills holes at WR, OL, DB, LB and DL

Miami now has a stronger team on paper than any opponent it plays, thanks to Mario...

... FiRe tHE GUy iF wE dON't WiN thE Acc AnD mAKe ThE pLAyOffS!

Mario replaces pretty much every coach any fan had a beef with (except Salave'a who is our Islander pipeline)
Mario brings in the top QB and RB from the portal, and fills holes at WR, OL, DB, LB and DL

Miami now has a stronger team on paper than any opponent it plays, thanks to Mario...

Honestly, if we don't at the very least, make the ACC CG, then it's time to talk about buyout

Which is exactly why he should be expected to WIN NOW.

It makes ZERO sense, to say we have a stronger team on paper than any opponent we play, while simultaneously saying we shouldn't be expected to win those games?

Explain to me how a team that's better than every team they play on their schedule shouldn't have high expectations??? Like how does that work?

Advertisement
Which is exactly why he should be expected to WIN NOW.

It makes ZERO sense, to say we have a stronger team on paper than any opponent we play, while simultaneously saying we shouldn't be expected to win those games?

Explain to me how a team that's better than every team they play on their schedule shouldn't have high expectations??? Like how does that work?
It’s gold medal level mental gymnastics.

U do realize this can easily be construed as case study 101 of oxymoronic statements, correct?

Advertisement
"Miami has the best team we've ever had in the last 2 decades.."

"So we should expect win 10+ games right?"

"No"

"Why not?"

"Because the HC needs more time.."

That's what some of yall are saying & that's why you're getting push-back because that's illogical.

I appreciate you trying to have a reasonable discussion, whereas some of the other guys go straight to the ad hominem attacks. At least one adult in the room.

First, when did I ever say we shouldn't expect to win 10 games? I expect to win 9 or 10, just like Vegas expects. When did I say the coach needs more time? I don't think he needs more time to win 9 or 10 games. I said not winning the ACCCG and not going to the playoffs is excusable. All 9-win teams and 2 10-win P5 teams from last season would not have made the playoffs. So I am being consistent with my logic.

Second, I feel you guys are just fed up with Mario, and unwilling to give him any breaks at all. Emotion is clouding your judgment. If Mario hadn't built up such a great, it is clear you would have thought it inexcusable we are headed into season 3 with him at barely .500. I would have agreed with you under these circumstances.

But Mario DID build up a quality great roster. And to me, BECAUSE he built up such a great roster, with more on the way in 2025, it makes no sense to say it is inexcusable for him if he doesn't win the ACCCG and make the playoffs. It is inevitable he will do both based on the talent he is accumulating.

You can point to Jimbo all you want, he's an outlier who thought of himself as an offensive genius and interfered with the OC play calling. He also didn't build nearly the level of cultural discipline that Miami has under Mario. Nor did he sustain talent acquisition and do it across positions at depth. Mario is doing this, IMO.

So for me, talent is king, and one or two historic outliers are irrelevant. Mario's roster talent will result in championships. We just need a little patience.

Last edited:

None of that matters if it doesn’t translate to actual wins. What good is signing top clases if you don’t win? Who gives a **** about recruiting rankings if it doesn’t lead to titles. Why should any coach who has a talent advantage over every team he plays not be held to higher standards? STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR BAD COACHING.

Advertisement
Back