Basketball Team's Potential

moldycheese432

Freshman
Obviously haven gotten off to a strong start to the season, we are still essentially down three rotation players: Burnett, Reed, Cruz Uceda. Everybody comes back next year, save for Joe Thomas, who may be pushed out of the rotation when Cruz Uceda is back. Given the underclassmen talent on this team, and the addition of Lawrence to next year's team, it's looking like Coach L has built us a perennial top-25 team--a far cry from the football team (couldn't resist).

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Agreed. This team can be really, really good for a few years with this crop. Newton is only going to get better.

Don't forget about Kamari Murphy. Guy started a bunch of games for one of the better teams in the Big 12 last year and averaged 6 and 6. I see us looking like this:

Rodriguez - Newton
Lecomte - Burnett/Reed
McClellan - Palmer
Murphy - Sherman
Jekiri - Cruz

Really tough to know especially without seeing Cruz play one game. I said we were a tourney team this year, we're better than that and that is without Cruz Uceda.

Yeah.

I'd really like to see how this team runs with ICU.

Nice to see ShelMac coming to play. Manu and Palmer are looking good so far and if TJ can be putting up double doubles, we can definitely compete.

Advertisement
Two Words. Angel Rodgriguez.

Kid is the goods. He gets a little out of control at times, but he will keep us competitive.

The typical UM fan macro view on everything, relax, and enjoy the games without trying to give a 5 year outlook

I have no idea how far this team can go but they are a pleasure to watch. They play great team basketball on offense. All three freshmen are very impressive but my favorite so far is Omar Sherman. He has a sweet stroke, soft touch, plays good defense, and rebounds. Even though he does not have much of a post game right now he has the ability to be productive in the post and will be in his UM career. The guard play is outstanding and TJ is improving each game. He has learned not to foul on every play and will make it tough for teams to score in the paint on us. He's also making his field goals and has improved scoring down low. If we can get 10 and 10 from him each game that will allow us to compete on another level this year.

It's only 5 games, but you have to like the trends of these numbers.

canes through 5.jpg

Reeks of in game adjustments.

Advertisement
Anybody follow basketball recruiting much? As everyone knows, SF is a hotbed for football talent. How is the basketball talent? Would like to know if our recruiting has gotten much better under Coach L. Obviously I don't expect to see 5* going to start rolling in anytime soon and we turn into Kentucky or Duke recruiting wise or anything like that. Just want to know more about SF in general and how we've done in recruiting since Coach L came here.

it's looking like Coach L has built us a perennial top-25 team--a far cry from the football team (couldn't resist).

That's going to be a tough feat in the ACC where you can be a pretty good team and not be in the conference Top 5...

Next year will be special, National Champions special, with all the players coming back and getting Okie transfer Murphy. Next year could make us a favorable destination for 5* and that would put us perennial Top25!

Really tough to know especially without seeing Cruz play one game. I said we were a tourney team this year, we're better than that and that is without Cruz Uceda.

Considering that it was really against an inferior opponent, I caught some of a game they were playing in Spain and Uceda looks to have a decent inside/out game.

He can post up a bit and hit it from the outside. Not saying as good as Dirk but that style of play.

Anybody follow basketball recruiting much? As everyone knows, SF is a hotbed for football talent. How is the basketball talent? Would like to know if our recruiting has gotten much better under Coach L. Obviously I don't expect to see 5* going to start rolling in anytime soon and we turn into Kentucky or Duke recruiting wise or anything like that. Just want to know more about SF in general and how we've done in recruiting since Coach L came here.

Need to find joshdacane

He knows EVERYTHING related to college bball

Advertisement

Need to find joshdacane

He knows EVERYTHING related to college bball

Not joshdacane, but I've been around south florida basketball my whole life so I can chime in.

IMO south florida basketball is very underrated. Recently we have had guys like Brandon Knight, Kenny Boyton, Khlye Marshall, Fab Melo all come from South florida. In this 2015 class, we have High D1 guys like Haanif cheatham, prince ali, keith stone and John Collins (WPB). However, you will see more guys Jose Morales, Lance crawford, Keyshawn evans, etc. who are undersized point guards but still all great players.

Every year you can find at least 2 guys that have Miami basketball talent. That does not sound like much, but relative to basketball it is enough to help us.

Last edited by a moderator:
To continue on my point Lance Crawford is averaging 10.2 points per game already as a freshman at UMASS-Lowell

Advertisement
Back