Basketball Practice Facility

He's signed 4 kids who graduated from a high school in the state for Florida since he took over in 2011. One was Beverly who transferred after starting in Michigan and another was Tonye who moved to Florida less than a year before he committed. The other two were Dewan and Amp. Recruiting the state won't ever be a thing for L.
And that's my issue with recruiting. There have been over 20+ guys out of Florida high school's (not including the basketball factory's like IMG, Montverde, etc.) since 2011 who weren't recruited by Miami and eventually made it to the NBA. Not sure about you, but that's a major problem. Like wtf are we doing. This ain't the 70's and 80's where the northeast reigns king supreme in the world of grassroots basketball and Florida is only producing football and baseball. Like Larranaga has got to get with the times.

Advertisement
And that's my issue with recruiting. There have been over 20+ guys out of Florida high school's (not including the basketball factory's like IMG, Montverde, etc.) since 2011 who weren't recruited by Miami and eventually made it to the NBA. Not sure about you, but that's a major problem. Like wtf are we doing. This ain't the 70's and 80's where the northeast reigns king supreme in the world of grassroots basketball and Florida is only producing football and baseball. Like Larranaga has got to get with the times.
Does it really matter since the program has been largely successful outside of the FBI years? Coach L will likely hang it up once his contract is up, and I doubt he will change what has been working for him for most of his career now.

Does it really matter since the program has been largely successful outside of the FBI years? Coach L will likely hang it up once his contract is up, and I doubt he will change what has been working for him for most of his career now.
I'm appreciative of what Larranaga has done at Miami and with the Elite 8 run this past season, he's the most successful coach in our program's history. However, when you compare Larranaga's tenure here to that of the other in-state P5 schools we're sitting 3rd behind fsu and uf. Just frustrating to see what could be or could've been had Larranaga recruit Florida guys. I guess the old adage "can't teach an old dog new tricks" is very fitting for L.

He's signed 4 kids who graduated from a high school in the state for Florida since he took over in 2011. One was Beverly who transferred after starting in Michigan and another was Tonye who moved to Florida less than a year before he committed. The other two were Dewan and Amp. Recruiting the state won't ever be a thing for L.
Outside of having all recruiting momentum stripped away thanks to a garbage NCAA Investigation, L has recruited decently throughout his tenure. Miami recruiting the Atlantic seaboard isn't anything new: Ham did it, same with Frank Haith. L extended it further up into places like Boston(Bruce Brown) and Philly. That's the big difference. He's also more open to international guys, something that wasn't really a thing under Haith.

DeAndre Burnett was an L signing too.

Advertisement
The success of the UF back to back NCAA Championship teams (2005-07) was mostly built on out of state players. Taurean Green from Lauderdale was a very key guy to be sure; and Chris Richard from Lakeland was a nice big off the bench. That's two players! The rest, including the key guy, Joakim Noah from NY/NJ, were all from OOS, iirc. I think that trend has continued and the Castleton kid from Deland was the ONLY Fla HS recruit on their roster last season.

Coach Ham has really, IMO, been a global recruiter at FSU. A lot of bigs from Africa, a lot of top-tier JuCos from all over the country and, yes, some very good Florida players. I couldn't say though that it appears he particularly targets guys from Fla high schools, other than the obvious super talents like Scottie, who everyone tried to recruit. He'll take them from anywhere.

Think I did some research a few years back that covered recruiting of Fla HS players by UF, FSU and UM. Surprisingly, we hadn't done THAT much poorer in-state, over the last 20 years or so, than the two schools up north. Think I also found Coach L held his own with Ham, Perry and Frank in getting Florida HS players. No real drop off, if any.

Advertisement
Yep, think it was a medical waiver. Still counts as a recruit to me. He could've gone anywhere after deciding not to attend DePaul.
He needed to be closer to home and Miami allowed for that and to not sit out. It was anxiety driven from reports and being closer to home helped get that waiver. So not sure he could've gone anywhere if he wanted to play right away. He committed to Depaul before L was hired. He wasn't an option to recruit.

L also took Angel Rodriguez who played high school ball in Miami. I don't remember the specifics and maybe Frank Martin had that on lock but don't remember much traction there. L aint against taking a transfer that played high school ball in Florida. His history suggests he doesn't have much interest in recruiting them straight from high school.

He needed to be closer to home and Miami allowed for that and to not sit out. It was anxiety driven from reports and being closer to home helped get that waiver. So not sure he could've gone anywhere if he wanted to play right away. He committed to Depaul before L was hired. He wasn't an option to recruit.

L also took Angel Rodriguez who played high school ball in Miami. I don't remember the specifics and maybe Frank Martin had that on lock but don't remember much traction there. L aint against taking a transfer that played high school ball in Florida. His history suggests he doesn't have much interest in recruiting them straight from high school.
Zach Johnson and Keith Stone as well.

The success of the UF back to back NCAA Championship teams (2005-07) was mostly built on out of state players. Taurean Green from Lauderdale was a very key guy to be sure; and Chris Richard from Lakeland was a nice big off the bench. That's two players! The rest, including the key guy, Joakim Noah from NY/NJ, were all from OOS, iirc. I think that trend has continued and the Castleton kid from Deland was the ONLY Fla HS recruit on their roster last season.

Coach Ham has really, IMO, been a global recruiter at FSU. A lot of bigs from Africa, a lot of top-tier JuCos from all over the country and, yes, some very good Florida players. I couldn't say though that it appears he particularly targets guys from Fla high schools, other than the obvious super talents like Scottie, who everyone tried to recruit. He'll take them from anywhere.

Think I did some research a few years back that covered recruiting of Fla HS players by UF, FSU and UM. Surprisingly, we hadn't done THAT much poorer in-state, over the last 20 years or so, than the two schools up north. Think I also found Coach L held his own with Ham, Perry and Frank in getting Florida HS players. No real drop off, if any.
Take a look at this long list of Florida prospects since 2011 and tell me which player you wouldn't have wanted to see sign at Miami. I am not at all saying our roster should be stacked with Florida prospects, but it baffles me how year in and year out there are top nationally ranked Florida prospects going out of state without even a mention of Miami recruiting them. It's mind-blowing.

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/um-must-recruit-florida-hs-basketball.168757/

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yep, think it was a medical waiver. Still counts as a recruit to me. He could've gone anywhere after deciding not to attend DePaul.

Larranaga getting so many Florida prospects who transfer back to Miami just solidifies to me the poor job he's doing of recruiting these same guys while they're in high school. Many of those kids left Florida without an offer from Miami coming out of HS. Take a kid like Zach Johnson from Miami Norland. He would've killed to get an offer from Larranaga while he was at Norland. An offer? Johnson never got a single call from Miami while he was in high school. I could go on and on about many others.

You're right. The waiver was all about him being closer to home (was that Orlando?). Guess that could've meant UCF, FSU, USF, UF, FAU, MIami.

Spot on with Larkin. Angel wanted to leave after Frank Martin bolted but stayed on another year after Weber took over. Decided to come to Miami in order to be closer to his family who was still living in PR at the time.

Advertisement
That is true, still doesn't change the fact that college sports does best in smaller markets where there isn't much in regards to competition for the entertainment dollar.

if you look at the tournament numbers in SFL (tv numbers), its really bad. college hoops never really took off in south florida from tournament games (we hosted a couple first round and second round games at the triple A and still were empty along w poor tv ratings) to college reg season. we get a big crowd for the duke/unc games but thats it pretty much.

if you look at the tournament numbers in SFL (tv numbers), its really bad. college hoops never really took off in south florida from tournament games (we hosted a couple first round and second round games at the triple A and still were empty along w poor tv ratings) to college reg season. we get a big crowd for the duke/unc games but thats it pretty much.
Very true.

Advertisement
Back