Basketball Notes from Barry Jackson

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
UM HOOPS

A few snippets from Jim Larranaga’s pre-season news conference today:

### Angel Rodriguez, the former Kansas State point guard, has been slowed by an injury but will be “our floor leader” and Larranaga expects him to be an excellent defender. But Larranaga said Manu Lecomte --- last year's primary point guard --- will play with Rodriguez at times.

### New shooting guard Sheldon McClellan, the transfer from Texas, “needs to be a high octane scorer. He has the green light to attack the basket, shoot threes, get to the free throw line. We expect him to be dynamic in the open court. We’ll be running a good deal more than a year ago.”

### UM has nine players who have never played in a game for the Hurricanes. And of the other three players, one is out for a while with an injury (Davon Reed).

Larranaga didn’t rule out the possibility of redshirting Reed this season: “Davon and I are going to be talking constantly about his status and what we feel would be best for him.”

### Center Tonye Jekiri “needs to step up in every category…. Everything it takes to be an ACC caliber
. I told my coaches today that Tonye can expect me to be a blanket on him. I’m going to wear him out. He’s such a vital part of this team. We expect him to be a double-double guy. Anything less than that, he can expect me not to be happy.”

### Unless UM opts to play small, Joe Thomas, the Niagara transfer, would start at power forward, at least until Ivan Cruz Uceda returns from a half-season NCAA suspension. “We expect [Thomas] to defend and rebound but he’s very much a role player.”

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Still can't get over the fact that he had a winning record with last year's roster.

Advertisement
Back