Basketball Fundamentals: Offense

SmokeyRone

All-ACC
Purgatory
Layups and foul shots win games. We all know that. But you dont get layups and FTs unless you execute fundamentals. Lets list 'em.

1: ALWAYS use the backboard inside! Unless dunking, anyone finger rolling or soft touching without using the backboard is committing a crime against humanity. (I used to love sailing from the key and finger rolling, but if I ever missed, I would have killed myself and it would have been the right thing to do)

2: ALWAYS rub right off the pic! I'd kill my entire team if I was a NBA coach, because players always lazily run off a pic leaving a 3 foot gap.

3: ALWAYS drop step and pin the defender when you set a pic and the D switches. If you set a pic, and the D switches, and you drop step, pin, and cut to the hoop, you are WIDE open for a dunk, EVERYTIME!

4: BOUNCEPASS! Bounce passes inside (or anywhere) NEVER get stolen, and the geek you are passing to has a much better chance of catching the Cotdman ball.

5. THREE DRIBBLES! I used to play my team in 1 on 1 from the top of the key. 3 dribble rule. If you cant score or make a play with 3 dribbles, you cant score or make a play. This isnt Curly Neil and they aint the Generals! 3 dribbles and give it up, you got nothing!

6: V Cuts! V cuts, that means CUt HARD from the wing towards the hoop. If you are covered, stop and cut back out. NO WAY you are still covered! None of this stagger step, jinking, shucking, jiving, etc. Cut one way, and if need be, cut back the same way you came from.

7: Set a COT**** pic! ON the defender! This isn't some high school joke, running the Princeton Flex! You dont "air pic" just because its part of your sorry *** set play offense. You set a pic on the teamates defender! If you dont make contact, you didnt do it right.

Follow these rules, and whether you play a motion offense, pic away from the ball or on the ball, you will have mastered the fundamentals and thus be light years ahead of almost every other team no matter how talented.

THIS is why I go crazy watching basketball. To me, failure to play fundamental offense is not just a sin, its a crime worse than any **** committed in WWII! If I had me druthers, we would have a new Nuremberg Court just to try s that dont use the backboard!

Advertisement
I looked at this post and thought, hmmmm this is probably going to be awful but I'll give it a shot.

First sentence says layups and foul shots win games... Warriors and Cavs say hi.

Didn't read anything else except the last sentence, where he compared killing Jews to bad fundamentals in basketball.

Yeah, this is my least favorite post in my time on this board. No hyperole.

I looked at this post and thought, hmmmm this is probably going to be awful but I'll give it a shot.

First sentence says layups and foul shots win games... Warriors and Cavs say hi.

Didn't read anything else except the last sentence, where he compared killing Jews to bad fundamentals in basketball.

Yeah, this is my least favorite post in my time on this board. No hyperole.

****, I didn't even get that far.

Advertisement
Let me guess, Smokey is that guy at the gym that thinks he's Pete Carrill, never mind the fact that the guys playing pickup are just there to get some exercise, and maybe get a couple of shots up. Yes, fundamentals are important, but there are a ton of ways to skin a cat, and there's a ton of ways to win basketball games.

By the way, offenses now use brush screens, where you barely make contact with the defender, if at all. People use feint screens, to create that bit of indecision as well, knowing full well that the person with the ball doesn't need much more than that. I guess people like Coach L don't have a clue what they are doing, merely because they aren't telling their guys to set every screen like George Mikan did in the fifties.

Advertisement
Layups and foul shots win games. We all know that. But you dont get layups and FTs unless you execute fundamentals. Lets list 'em.

1: ALWAYS use the backboard inside! Unless dunking, anyone finger rolling or soft touching without using the backboard is committing a crime against humanity. (I used to love sailing from the key and finger rolling, but if I ever missed, I would have killed myself and it would have been the right thing to do)

2: ALWAYS rub right off the pic! I'd kill my entire team if I was a NBA coach, because players always lazily run off a pic leaving a 3 foot gap.

3: ALWAYS drop step and pin the defender when you set a pic and the D switches. If you set a pic, and the D switches, and you drop step, pin, and cut to the hoop, you are WIDE open for a dunk, EVERYTIME!

4: BOUNCEPASS! Bounce passes inside (or anywhere) NEVER get stolen, and the geek you are passing to has a much better chance of catching the Cotdman ball.

5. THREE DRIBBLES! I used to play my team in 1 on 1 from the top of the key. 3 dribble rule. If you cant score or make a play with 3 dribbles, you cant score or make a play. This isnt Curly Neil and they aint the Generals! 3 dribbles and give it up, you got nothing!

6: V Cuts! V cuts, that means CUt HARD from the wing towards the hoop. If you are covered, stop and cut back out. NO WAY you are still covered! None of this stagger step, jinking, shucking, jiving, etc. Cut one way, and if need be, cut back the same way you came from.

7: Set a COT**** pic! ON the defender! This isn't some high school joke, running the Princeton Flex! You dont "air pic" just because its part of your sorry *** set play offense. You set a pic on the teamates defender! If you dont make contact, you didnt do it right.

Follow these rules, and whether you play a motion offense, pic away from the ball or on the ball, you will have mastered the fundamentals and thus be light years ahead of almost every other team no matter how talented.

THIS is why I go crazy watching basketball. To me, failure to play fundamental offense is not just a sin, its a crime worse than any **** committed in WWII! If I had me druthers, we would have a new Nuremberg Court just to try s that dont use the backboard!

I just imagine an angry old man puffing a cigar typing this post out, wearing nothing but a wife-beater and a "Las Vegas" visor, cackling incoherently about the "kids today".

OP is a certified potato...

_CMG5023.jpg

Advertisement

I just imagine an angry old man puffing a cigar typing this post out, wearing nothing but a wife-beater and a "Las Vegas" visor, cackling incoherently about the "kids today".

You aren't far off

What kind of anti-Semitic crap is this? Reproted!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back