Baseball recruiting question

Papa Rox

Recruit
What would you do if your son was a D1 recruit and grew up a Miami fan? Quick back story, the NCAA changed the age/class to juniors and seniors last summer and my kid was hurt.
Ok now he’s in the 98th% for his grade in velo BUT UM had offered 3 2026 lefties who committed. Do you push for the dream school that may have spent their NIL for him to be like the 12th lefty arm on the roster or not even try? Honestly I tell him all the time to let UM go and focus on teams that aren’t overloaded at his position but he tells me he wants to commit the moment he got offered there. What would you tell your kid? Side note extremely large colleges are following him and we expect offers August 1st

Advertisement
What would you do if your son was a D1 recruit and grew up a Miami fan? Quick back story, the NCAA changed the age/class to juniors and seniors last summer and my kid was hurt.
Ok now he’s in the 98th% for his grade in velo BUT UM had offered 3 2026 lefties who committed. Do you push for the dream school that may have spent their NIL for him to be like the 12th lefty arm on the roster or not even try? Honestly I tell him all the time to let UM go and focus on teams that aren’t overloaded at his position but he tells me he wants to commit the moment he got offered there. What would you tell your kid? Side note extremely large colleges are following him and we expect offers August 1st
If it's his dream, let him follow it. Odds are he won't ever make his living throwing a baseball, so, why not go to his dream school for 4 - 5 years, and get a good education to boot. And w the portal, he has options many others never had if it doesn't work out.

He has a few friends in his class committed that have NIL deals. We have set up camps (that’s what’s allowed currently) with some schools that follow him. We need to see what the best financial decision is. If he can get REAL free and maybe $ or pay money for his dream school he’s going to pay that on his own. We need to see what’s out there. Hopefully both situations fall in line. It’s hard because any State Florida school is REAL free (bright future and baseball) and if there’s NIL that’s cash.
That’s my thinking now

He has a few friends in his class committed that have NIL deals. We have set up camps (that’s what’s allowed currently) with some schools that follow him. We need to see what the best financial decision is. If he can get REAL free and maybe $ or pay money for his dream school he’s going to pay that on his own. We need to see what’s out there. Hopefully both situations fall in line. It’s hard because any State Florida school is REAL free (bright future and baseball) and if there’s NIL that’s cash.
That’s my thinking now
Don't let $$ deter you or him - there's plenty of financial aid to be had. And w the state of student loans in today's society, he may only have to repay a fraction of it. With the new SAVE calculations, many student loans will never repay even a nickel of principal.

Some of those kids will be getting drafted and there is a pretty good chance they might never step foot on campus.

Advertisement
If he is that set on it pursue it. If Miami gives him the “we’d love to have you but we are full right now”

What about Juco for a year. It’s a gamble on himself because if he doesn’t put up numbers it could backfire but it could also lead to even more. To the point of even letting Miami know this is where I want to play and get my degree I’m willing to go to a Juco to prove my worth and/or let the roster shake out a year.

If he is that set on it pursue it. If Miami gives him the “we’d love to have you but we are full right now”

What about Juco for a year. It’s a gamble on himself because if he doesn’t put up numbers it could backfire but it could also lead to even more. To the point of even letting Miami know this is where I want to play and get my degree I’m willing to go to a Juco to prove my worth and/or let the roster shake out a year.

Absolutely. If you're UM caliber, you'll prove it and then some at the JUCO level. If you're not UM level, the JUCO will get you to an appropriate spot. Win-win situation.

He was supposed to throw in front of them at a thing in Ft. Lauderdale a few months ago. That got rained out so instead of driving back to the east coast he went to a USF thing. Threw 87 at 15yrs old and got a great write up. As far as Miami or JUCO goes he’s going to an SEC school in 2 weeks, big 10, big 12, PAC 12 and another SEC rounds out the scheduled summer. I don’t know if there’s more than 20 lefty 15yr olds throwing 87 in the US so there’s a lot of interest. He also has a 4.2GPA.
We have discussed that if for some reason JUCO is the only option he’s going to just go to college and not play sports. Bright future is free and he can focus on the diploma if the possibility of playing pro was not reachable.

I don’t know if I said it before but I play cornhole tournaments with some minors players and all of them to a man who went to UM, FSU and Bama say to go mid major. Get the PT and move on quicker.
My cousin played at FSU and it was a bad experience
Lots to think about. I was just hoping some others went through this. We have some insight but there’s a lot going on. It’s hard to not look at schools sending 1-2 invites a week and try to push a dream that doesn’t know he exists

One more thing I have been pushing him and his buddy to USF because I can catch every game and it’s free free. It’s amazing how the coaches here sh I t on that school for baseball. Tampa has some of the best high school baseball teams in the country and I have had ZERO coaches tell me to send him there. It’s unreal.
What I’ve heard UF over recruits and guys that could’ve went in the too 3 rounds sit, USF over recruits and brings in too many guys out of the portal, FSU new coach, Kentucky has a a s s bag coach. Texas tech has baseball NIL, and to look into school’s building facilities that might not be in the top 10

Advertisement
Well you’d be surprised on LHP’s who are in that 84-87 range but that GPA changes the game.

If your son has the frame on top of it (taller, loose, etc) he def will have plenty of suitors due to being a LhP. But I appreciate his dream. I’d still try to get get to an event Miami might be at the next few months. Never know how things can change. Esp if he goes out there and is another tick or two up in velo.

Keep us posted it will be fun to hear about the journey.

Well you’d be surprised on LHP’s who are in that 84-87 range but that GPA changes the game.

If your son has the frame on top of it (taller, loose, etc) he def will have plenty of suitors due to being a LhP. But I appreciate his dream. I’d still try to get get to an event Miami might be at the next few months. Never know how things can change. Esp if he goes out there and is another tick or two up in velo.

Keep us posted it will be fun to hear about the journey.
Thanks yeah he’s 6’3.5” 175lbs and won’t be old enough to drive for a while. I see a lot of 2026 85-87 lefties but 90% are reclassed. Go on PG or PBR there’s not many. His pitching trainer said with his frame and path he’ll graduate HS mid 90’s +
Hopefully that happens. That type of speed used to mean a lot more but man even D2 schools are stacking 90mph kids! Plyo balls have changed the game

That’s a nice sized young kid. I def wouldn’t give up on the dream if he truly wants it. Those are big time traits. Not sure what plan he is on…but if I can give one suggestion - get him to a high level pitching/strength trainer to get an assessment on any weaknesses/imbalances he may have. (If he hasn’t already). Get out in front now early in his development. Not sure of your area but I know Cressey has a Florida location now. Good luck.

Thanks yeah he’s 6’3.5” 175lbs and won’t be old enough to drive for a while. I see a lot of 2026 85-87 lefties but 90% are reclassed. Go on PG or PBR there’s not many. His pitching trainer said with his frame and path he’ll graduate HS mid 90’s +
Hopefully that happens. That type of speed used to mean a lot more but man even D2 schools are stacking 90mph kids! Plyo balls have changed the game
With that frame and velo for a 26 kid, I'd say keep working your *** off. Especially if he gains about 15-20lbs in the next two years. Make sure arm care is a top priority. Long toss, long toss, arm care, arm care.

If he projectable, he will get so many more looks.

The weight gain alone may get you 3-4 more mph on the velo, this time next year will be crucial.

I have coached 25s for quite awhile and saw tons of development with the players that busted their *** over the last year. Saw one righty go from 86 to 92 in about 15 months. He's going to USCe now. Another righty hit 87 at WWBA and was asked to come throw for the Clemson coaches topped 89, and get an offer. He's about 6'5.

Take advantage of as much exposure as you can without breaking the bank. If he can get some exposure at WWBA, Jupiter or some of the bigs tourneys next year, that's going to be huge.

And also with landscape of college baseball, due to transfers and NIL, going JUCO route could be big as well. Lots of the bigger schools are hunting for starters or midweek guys in the portal, just because they are proven at the 'next level' but it's a big gamble.

Advertisement
Carolina thats the plan. Last year went full on but his speed was 80 and he was on one of the National teams with 5 kid’s throwing 85 plus. Reclass all of them… now he’s on another national team and he’s the 4th fastest. He will be at USC’s prospect camp in august. We like it up there. It’s safe and we have family in Columbia.

Philly is wild you brought that up. One of the things that has helped him since we moved to Tampa is things like a high level pitching/strength trainer. He got an assessment on any weaknesses/imbalances. He went for the first time Tuesday and got the evaluation. The science of that is insane. They measured (I’m still pretty ignorant to this) different pressures like grip and pushing some sensors with different joints of his body, they looked for hip angles, shoulder, core, legs and so on. We were there 1.5 hours of that then they developed a 4 day a week workout plan designed based on the results of that. It’s nuts what’s available in Tampa for these kids. He will get checked either one a week or once a month moving forward and the trainers are there monitoring these workouts. One pro strength guy and one more medical guy there 100% of the time.

His actual pitching coach has done amazing things with him this winter. He was
Topping 80mph 4 months ago now he’s sitting 83-84

His high school coach pitched in the majors for over 10 years.

The one thing we haven’t agreed on is his path. Some want huge schools (helps promote their business with large school commitments) some say mid major to not waist his limited time throwing at a high level. I want safety and a good school. I got to pick one camp and I chose Utah. They’re putting a lot of $ into their baseball program and aren’t loaded up with lefties.

Alright guys thank you! I’m loving the feedback

Yeah the biomechanics of it are so in depth.

But one small imbalance can be throwing something off somewhere else so it’s so valuable.

I used to talk to my guys about how the body is the most complex but smartest machine on the world. It takes the path of least resistance when throwing. So let’s fix any issues and get it on the right path to optimize and avoid injury.

Which was tough because I was at D2/d3/ naia schools so we didn’t always have the highest level techs or even S&C guys. So take advantage of it and it sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders but just keep preaching the long game. It’s not a 1 month fix. What he is doing now might not show up for months. But in 2 years if he is 15lbs heavier and his mobility is even better and he’s throwing 92 but it’s easy and maybe his slider has a higher spin and more bite…etc. that’s the process he just started.

Advertisement
Papa I can speak from experience. My son just went through what I predict is about to happen to yours. My son is also a lefty pitcher and was able to pitch for team Fla. at the 2025 Futures game. Best tourney/showcase for players out there. He probably had 150+ coaches watching him at that event.

On 8/1 this year he had over 35 colleges call him. From UM FSU UF Tenn Clem and many other ACC/SEC. Calls started at 7:30 in the morning. He received 7 texts with videos the night before at midnight. One of his travel team mates is one of the 2026 Lefty’s committed. By the way he’s a stud.

My recommendation is to hear out what everyone has to offer. Some schools offered my son books and tuition and others offered him a full ride. Some even talked about NiL. Enjoy the process and everything that comes with it and take visits. I gave him all the positives and negatives of each. But in the end I made him make the decision.

Good luck and enjoy everything coming because I’m sure he’s earned it.

If you have any questions fill free to ask.

Bro thank you! Yeah it’s getting pretty crazy. And yes he’s getting a ton of follows and a lot from big schools. We’ve sent him to a few showcases at specific schools. We think he’s going to get the invite to the futures game.

Anyway his name is out there. He’s 2026 so obviously he’s 7 months out from real communication. He’s done the PG showcase (yesterday) pretty sure he was the fastest lefty but only threw 85, He’s done a PBR and hit 86 and just got back from Auburn ( he sat 84 which was dope) and they seemed to really like him. With all that said did you/would you continue to send your son around? We are thinking he’s going to get all the exposure this summer on his travel team so we are kinda thinking about relaxing and focusing on HS.

I sent him a list last night of the schools that could use him the most based on their 24-26 lefty commitments. My suggestion is we focus on 2 of those this summer and work for 90mph.

One more. He has the build for the spot. Do we push 90 or let it happen? What concerns me is these schools filling spots in the meantime but there’s risks involved with pushing velo. Plainly did you all continue to do velo pushes 1-2 months a year?

Thanks!!

Please DM me who your son chose!

Papa I can speak from experience. My son just went through what I predict is about to happen to yours. My son is also a lefty pitcher and was able to pitch for team Fla. at the 2025 Futures game. Best tourney/showcase for players out there. He probably had 150+ coaches watching him at that event.

On 8/1 this year he had over 35 colleges call him. From UM FSU UF Tenn Clem and many other ACC/SEC. Calls started at 7:30 in the morning. He received 7 texts with videos the night before at midnight. One of his travel team mates is one of the 2026 Lefty’s committed. By the way he’s a stud.

My recommendation is to hear out what everyone has to offer. Some schools offered my son books and tuition and others offered him a full ride. Some even talked about NiL. Enjoy the process and everything that comes with it and take visits. I gave him all the positives and negatives of each. But in the end I made him make the decision.

Good luck and enjoy everything coming because I’m sure he’s earned it.
Nothing about PBR futures games because he hasn’t done a showcase for them but he was invited to PG’s Junior Nationals showcase last night. Huge! His buddy got offered at it last year by FSU who as of last week started following my son too. The list is getting longer! My son told me yours got up to 91 last week. Also huge!

Advertisement
Back