Barry Jackson with UM AD Blake James 3-1-18

Lmao for the folks that Blake is doing a bad job. Let's go ahead and bring back Opey (Shawn Eichorst). He's currently available right now, and I'm sure he would die to have another shot a major program lol

Advertisement
Opey was the worst. Was hired, and literally hid under his desk the whole year he was here. The only AD in the history of sports administration that was unknown in the department.

I'm surprised the Shalala slurpers here haven't jumped in to start white knighting her again.

Criticism of Blake James is ridiculous. Unlike Donna who hired Coker, Randy and Golden on the cheap, Blake put up the big bucks to bring in CMR and his staff. Immediate payoff.

Then, he pushed for the IPF, Addidas and the wildly improved Gameday experience at Hard Rock. Big payoff that keeps on giving.

New student dorms will push UM even further along. The football program is in great shape. No question the basketball and baseball programs are not yet at elite levels. More work for Blake. But, he’s due a ton of credit for where we are in football. Well done.

Advertisement
Was that him, or was that Kirby “Cowboy boots” Hocutt?

Oh that was him. If I remember anything about him, I remember he did that bull****! Which makes sense, cause he resigned Mike Riley at Nebraska. We got lucky he bailed on us. That was such a blessing in disguise, cause he would had set us back to the point of no return if he stayed any longer.

Oh that was him. If I remember anything about him, I remember he did that bull****! Which makes sense, cause he resigned Mike Riley at Nebraska. We got lucky he bailed on us. That was such a blessing in disguise, cause he would had set us back to the point of no return if he stayed any longer.

I don’t honestly remember. Wasn’t sweat pits extended right at the end of his first season in 2011? I’ll look it up later maybe

Advertisement
It wasn't him who fired Al Golden. It was Frenk. It was Frenk who pulled the trigger. It also came two seasons too late.

As for Blake and Donna.

Are you aware Donna "hired" him, right?

Are you aware that he literally fell into that gig?

This is how some things kind of work under Blake. But for things happening outside of his control, they don't happen.

1. AD leaves, he falls into the position.

2. Richt gets fired, he is hired as our coach. But for UGA firing Richt, who knows what would happen? Who knows if this was his hiring because it wasn't Blake who fired Golden.

3. Soffer family wants to donate money (and have been for awhile), we can build an IPF. What I mean is he didn't "land" this donation from nowhere. This was a family that has donated before..."Soffer is a lifelong champion of the University of Miami football program and athletics department, and an active member of the University community. Originally from Chicago, Soffer has been a Golden Cane Society donor for over 20 years and supported many Miami Athletics initiatives, most recently the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence project."

If this donation came out of nowhere (from a non-current donor) then sure, Blake would get more credit. In addition, Richt was really the guy here who got it done.

-----------------------------

Not that you're celebrating the Adidas deal but for those that do. Obviously it was better than our current deal. But was it a good deal?

We land 12 Year Deal with Adidas ($90 Million). Some time later, UL lands 10 Year Deal with Adidas ($160 Million).

UL was able to land a shorter deal and for more money. I know the deals are not purely cash deals, but UL is getting $16 Million per season in stuff. We're getting $7.5 Million per season in stuff. UL's deal is for twice as much "stuff" per season and a shorter contract.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...trike-12-year-merchandise-marketing-agreement

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...-adidas-apparel-contract-extension/600482001/
Well, as you describe it, the AD job at Miami is little more than managerial. There’s no decision making involved. If that’s the case, then I’d say Blake is doing a pretty good job managing. He hasn’t ****ed anything up, and really what more can someone do in that position?

As far as the Adidas deal, I don’t know the specifics or the financials behind it. Taken at face value, it would appear we got screwed. Is that Blake’s fault? Maybe. But if he doesn’t have decision making responsibilities, maybe not.

Bottom line for me tho is that since Donna left the athletic department has made good moves.

Advertisement
Back