Barry Jackson on the future of UM basketball

FYI, for those who are interested, Ivan Uceda's first round NJCAA game (and all subsequent games, if there are any) will be streamed and hopefully archived at NJCAA.org. His first game is today (Monday) at 3 eastern, and here is the direct link - http://www.njcaatv.com/njcaatv

Last edited:
Advertisement
Josh,

How do you think Ivan most helps us next year? It appears as though we will run a lot of guards next year (maybe 3 at time like Coach L said), so do you see him at the 4 or the 5 next year.

Josh,

How do you think Ivan most helps us next year? It appears as though we will run a lot of guards next year (maybe 3 at time like Coach L said), so do you see him at the 4 or the 5 next year.

I should caveat that this by noting that I have only seen him once, so it's that set of observations plus what I have read that will inform my response.

Ivan is a 4/5 in my mind - he's 6'10", 230 to 240 pounds. He is big enough to bang inside, and I think that ability will only improve once he gets into our strength and conditioning program. With the convenient preseason trip to Spain, he fully intends to come directly to Coral Gables after he graduates in May to participate in all offseason activities.

I think that there are two areas where he will be key for us. The main one is that I think offensively, he will be our most reliable inside player. Tonye produced 4.2 PPG, mostly on layups and putbacks. I expect him to improve, but to still remain inconsistent. Kelly produced 6.0 PPG in relatively limited minutes, but mostly on mid-range jump shots. Ivan is capable of producing double-digit points relatively consistently on a mix of all of the above - he has shot over 45 percent from 3 this year, but also 62 percent overall, and can score not only on face up jump shots and putbacks, but on jump hooks, turn arounds, and the like. He also shot about 72 percent from the line. I think he is a player who you can dump the ball into when you really need a bucket, but who can also score and pass well in the flow of the offense, and who doesn't necessarily need to be the focal point to be effective.

The second major way is rebounding. We're going to be undersized, pending a 5th year transfer, and Ivan will be the second biggest guy on the team. He is his school's all-time leading rebounder and was top 15 in total rebounds (6th in defensive) and top 20 in rebounding average nationally. He has really good hands and seems to do well positioning himself, though I'm not sure he is athletic enough to be an "out of area" rebounder. Our leading rebounder this year was Rion Brown. I don't expect another guard to be our leading rebounder next year, whether it is Ivan or Tonye.

WOW, I watched a couple of Uceda's games when he first committed last year and wrote a little about him then. I wasn't overly impressed with him then but was later informed that he was coming off an injury then. I am incredibly impressed with him today through 4 minutes of game time. He is a very good passer regardless of his size. He is very active on the glass and the defensive end and has shown an ability to drive to the basket. Josh you were right his injury played a major role in that game. I agree with Josh that he is definitely big enough, long enough and active enough that he can play center here.

Uceda also plays for a very selfish team. Many times today a guard penetrates and Uceda finds the open spot at the basket and the guard will throw up an off balance or contested layup. Once he's down here with Rodriguez, Newton, Lecomte, etc he will get those drive and dishes.

Advertisement
I was talking with a good friend of mine the other day about next season's basketball team and I half-jokingly said " Everyone was so mad about Dalvin cook going to FSU...including myself. But wouldn't it be something if in 3 years we're like ' ****, we got the right brother.' " I legit can see DeAndre burnett blowing the **** up as that classic undersized scoring 2 guard. He has all the familiar symptoms of one

Uceda also plays for a very selfish team. Many times today a guard penetrates and Uceda finds the open spot at the basket and the guard will throw up an off balance or contested layup. Once he's down here with Rodriguez, Newton, Lecomte, etc he will get those drive and dishes.

Selfish players at the JUCO level...no way:p

Uceda will contribute immediately next year, what we really need is for Kelly to get his ****e together mentally and find ways to get to the rim a la Swoope did this year when the light bulb went on for him.

Advertisement
WOW, I watched a couple of Uceda's games when he first committed last year and wrote a little about him then. I wasn't overly impressed with him then but was later informed that he was coming off an injury then. I am incredibly impressed with him today through 4 minutes of game time. He is a very good passer regardless of his size. He is very active on the glass and the defensive end and has shown an ability to drive to the basket. Josh you were right his injury played a major role in that game. I agree with Josh that he is definitely big enough, long enough and active enough that he can play center here.

Mostly cross-posted from another board:

I watched his first game on Monday and the first quarter of his game yesterday (I'm sick and went to bed, sue me). I agree that his offensive ****nal is pretty varied - I am always impressed with his ability to catch and go right up with the ball, rather than to have to think threw his moves - and, if nothing else, his passing will be a huge boost to our shooters. I'm not sure anyone looked that closely, but Kirk had 5 assists the entire year (to 39 turnovers). Moving the ball both in AND out of the post will be helpful. Regarding his rebounding, he has looked a bit tentative to me - some due to foul trouble, and maybe some due to playing with a 7'1" guy who has had double digit boards each of the last two games. (FYI, so far in the first two games, he is putting up 15.5 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 3 APG on 13-20 shooting and 3-5 from 3PT).

FYI:
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN Mar 18
No hotter commodity these days in college hoops than productive 5th-year transfer. Especially big man. Temple's Anthony Lee finding out now.
Temple transfer Anthony Lee's list continues to expand. He's heard from Louisville, Ohio State, Florida, FSU, USC, Miami, Pitt, NC State.More schools for Temple transfer Anthony Lee -- Maryland, Iowa, Butler, Ole Miss, St Johns, Providence, Seton Hall, Arizona.
Lee (cont'd): in addition to the ones I already mentioned: Iowa State, Illinois, Marquette, Indiana.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 17m
Latest 5th-year transfer to blow up is Tennessee State 6-8 forward MJ Rhett. Averaged 11 and 9 last season. Check out this list- per Rhett.
Rhett said offers already from Oklahoma St, Wichita St, Memphis, Villanova, Miami, Ole Miss, Tenn, Ga Tech, Illinois, Minn, Texas A&M.

Advertisement
Anthony Lee is QUALITY: about 14 PPG and 9 RPG at 31 MPG [6'9 PF]

MJ Rhett is no schlub either: 11 PPG and 9 RPG at 32 MPG [6'8 PF]

I would take either especially with Kelly's unknown future. Taking one of these guys allows you redshirt Sherman.

Advertisement

I would take either especially with Kelly's unknown future. Taking one of these guys allows you redshirt Sherman.

FWIW, there are some rumors about Lee not being happy being asked to play inside and not being much of a defender. Rhett seems a bit more blue-collar, though he obviously played at a lower level and produced a bit less. Also, Temple lists Lee at 6'9", 230, and Tennessee State lists Rhett at 6'9", 235. I think either one of them would be useful to the team.

FWIW, there are some rumors about Lee not being happy being asked to play inside and not being much of a defender. Rhett seems a bit more blue-collar, though he obviously played at a lower level and produced a bit less. Also, Temple lists Lee at 6'9", 230, and Tennessee State lists Rhett at 6'9", 235. I think either one of them would be useful to the team.

As for Lee, he seems like an inside guy too me. I don't think we have a good chance if this article is right.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/3/20/5526506/anthony-lee-transfer-rumors-maryland-basketball-news

As for Lee, he seems like an inside guy too me. I don't think we have a good chance if this article is right.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/3/20/5526506/anthony-lee-transfer-rumors-maryland-basketball-news

Some interesting takes here, though there is obviously an extremely high ratio of sour grapes to honest analysis.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=186&f=3506&t=12749469&p=1

Advertisement
Back