Barry Jackson on the future of UM basketball

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
UM's basketball season ended Thursday (barring some postseason invitation that Jim Larranaga has said is not going to happen). But good news looms for Larranaga's program: Next season’s team should be considerably better, more potent offensively, and more interesting to watch.

UM will get a boost from high-scoring guard DeAndre Burnett (who missed this season with a wrist injury) and two transfers who were ineligible this season: former Kansas State point guard Angel Rodriguez and ex-Texas guard Sheldon McClellan.

McClellan, who averaged 13.5 points for the Longhorns in 2012-13, is “a very, very talented offensive player --– kind of a combination of Durand Scott, Rion Brown, Trey-McKinney Jones,” Larranaga said. “He has size, length, jumping ability, shooting ability, driving ability, can make free throws. He hasn’t become the defender he should be. Most of the really good offensive players rest on defense. We can’t afford that.”

Senior guard Rion Brown calls McClellan “a freak of nature. He’s athletic even just passing and dribbling!”

McClellan said he came to Miami because of Larranaga and “how he handles players. And transfers have done well here” – include Shane Larkin and McKinney-Jones.

He said “motivation and time management” were problematic for him at times at Texas, but he has improved in both areas. “I’m in the gym more now,” he said, adding that a backcourt duo of himself and Rodriguez “can be pretty scary.”

Players rave about how Rodriguez has become the team’s vocal leader even though he wasn’t eligible to play this season. He has corrected players when they do something wrong at practice, even yelling when needed.

Rodriguez, who averaged 11.4 points and 5.2 assists at Kansas State last season, “can create for a lot of people,” freshman guard/forward Davon Reed said. “He’s a guy you want to play with because he makes the game easier for you.” And he’s a skilled defender.

UM is expecting a lot from Burnett, who averaged 36 points for Carol City as a senior two years ago. “He's a great scorer,” Reed said. “He can catch and shoot, can go off the dribble.”

Larranaga said UM will play a lot of small ball next season, because most of its best players will be guards: Rodriguez, Reed (who will see a lot of time at small forward), Burnett, McClellan, Manu Lecomte (improved considerably as the season progressed) and two newcomers: four-star point guard JaQuan Newton (rated the nation’s 35th-best recruit by rivals.com) and three-star shooting guard James Palmer (rated the 114th-best player). “Scoring will not be an issue next year,” senior Erik Swoope said.

UM’s incoming class has two three-star power forwards (6-8 Omar Sherman and 6-9 Ivan Cruz Uceda), but no natural center unless UM finds one with its last scholarship available, which Larranaga prefers to use on a senior transfer.

Larranaga said it’s “impossible" to find a big man "with skills who knows how to play.”

“There are not a lot of those guys out there. Those guys are so highly recruited. There are not a lot of those guys in the NBA anymore, guys like Dwight Howard."

Sophomore seven-footer Tonye Jekiri hasn’t progressed as much offensively as UM hoped.

“Last summer, he worked at it, but he didn’t kill himself,’ Larranaga said. “He really needs to become fanatical if he wants to score at all. The only baskets he’s really getting are right at the rim. He makes a jump shot once every five games.”

Larranaga privately has said his biggest regret was not playing Swoope more earlier this season. But Swoope said: "What we did this year was a testament to his coaching. We could have been way below .500. He got the most out of this team."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
I LOVE COACH L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The future is going to be incredibly bright.

I've never loved a coach more than I do Coach L. I hope he can give us another 5 years!

And yes, next year should be a tournament year. I have no doubt that all our new talent will mesh and play well together.

Look at this team next year (in no particular order):

PG: Rodriguez
SG: McClellan
SF: Reed
PF: Kelly (hopefully he gets his head right)
C: Jekri
--------

PG: Lecomte and Newton
SG: Burnett and Palmer
F: Sherman and Uceda

I hope we can find that transfer who can help out at Center.

Advertisement
He wasn't amazing, but I wish we had Kirk next year too (or next year, instead of this year).

Look at this team next year (in no particular order):

PF: Kelly (hopefully he gets his head right)
C: Jekri
--------

PG: Lecomte and Newton
SG: Burnett and Palmer
F: Sherman and Uceda

I hope we can find that transfer who can help out at Center.

While I also hope we get a 5th year, I think Barry is wrong on Uceda as "just a forward". He's 6'10" (and close to legitimately 6'10" - he told me Harcum wanted to list him at 6'11") and 235 pounds or so. He can easily play center, especially with some work in the weight room.

Advertisement
Me thinks Davon Reed takes a massive step forward when next year rolls around. He has the tools to be a star.

Reed has a deadly 18-20 foot pull up, I don't care if there is a 6-7 guy in my face, jumper. His 3 point shot is also either money, or an airball. He is going to be a stud. He produced a lot more than I expected this season, and he was asked to do a lot more than should have been expected, same with Manu. Both Reed and Lecomte with have diminished roles next year with Rodriguez and McClellan/Burnett coming on board respectively, but that's not a bad thing.

I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR

Advertisement
There's so much talent that I don't even know who starts, the transfers and Reed are obvious favorites but nothing would surprise me.

All I know is " ***** about to get real" next year. Can't wait.

My guess on the starters will be..

PF: Kelly
C: Jekiri

Basically, what Consig put above. McClellan and Rodriguez are that good. They'll start for sure. Lecomte will backup Rodriguez and Burnett will back up McClellan.

My guess on the starters will be..

PF: Kelly
C: Jekiri

Basically, what Consig put above. McClellan and Rodriguez are that good. They'll start for sure. Lecomte will backup Rodriguez and Burnett will back up McClellan.

Burnett is the one guy I could see pushing for a spot at 2 or 3 . He's the goods, wouldn't be shocked.

I think the Uceda kid is the sleeper, euro big men are perfect for college game , even though most never come over. They normally play pro ball right out of hs and then jump to league.

He's the perfect stretch four,that's huge in cbb , and I'm sure a great flopper.

Advertisement
Reed has a deadly 18-20 foot pull up, I don't care if there is a 6-7 guy in my face, jumper. His 3 point shot is also either money, or an airball. He is going to be a stud. He produced a lot more than I expected this season, and he was asked to do a lot more than should have been expected, same with Manu. Both Reed and Lecomte with have diminished roles next year with Rodriguez and McClellan/Burnett coming on board respectively, but that's not a bad thing.

Lecomte yes but I think Reed starts as a 3rd guard for us and plays real well with McClellan.

Lecomte yes but I think Reed starts as a 3rd guard for us and plays real well with McClellan.

I have Reed in my projected starting lineup, but I still think he'll be asked to do a little less. He actually handled the ball a lot this year, along with Adams because aside from Lecomte, we had no other PG. Next year, he'll solely be off the ball. That's all I meant.

I'm surprised we didn't make the NIT. 17-15 record and a 7-11 record in the ACC should get you into the NIT no doubt. Especially when teams like LSU, Mizzou, etc have similar records in inferior conferences.

Anyway, I'm very excited about next year. We really need to stick to playing small next year, Reed needs to get 1-15 minutes a game playing the 4, just to maximize the backcourt depth we have. We have 6 guys who can legitimately play the 1 thru 3 positions in the ACC on our team, 7 if you include Palmer who I think would benefit greatly from a redshirt. Newton is the most ready freshman coming into college for this program since Darius Rice.

Also Swoope is a class act, I wish that kid nothing but the best in the future. Hopefully he thinks about joining the football team next year, with his body, athleticism and tenacity he could be a decent contributor for the team next year but he could have a great NFL future.

I'm surprised we didn't make the NIT. 17-15 record and a 7-11 record in the ACC should get you into the NIT no doubt. Especially when teams like LSU, Mizzou, etc have similar records in inferior conferences.

Not surprised at all. There were 13 spots to automatic qualifiers (regular season champs who didn't make the NCAAs), and that left 19 spots. Our RPI was 110, and the lowest team in the field was West Virginia at 88. Obviously, it's not a straight RPI thing for either tournament, but other teams were definitely ahead of us.

Advertisement
Back