Barry Jackson 3-15 article on UM's LBs

canefrank

Redshirt Freshman
Here’s the message UM’s three linebackers are getting from a former Canes great

BY BARRY JACKSON

The willingness of former Hurricanes greats to mentor current Canes is one of the wonderful dynamics of the UM football program, and at no position is that now happening more than at linebacker.

Shaquille Quarterman said Jon Beason texted him with tips, thoughts and video clips after games last season.

And D.J. Williams and Jonathan Vilma also have offered mentoring and on-field advice to junior-to-be linebackers Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud.

Williams said McCloud suggested the three linebackers get together as a group with Williams, Beason and Vilma.

“But I said, ‘Vilma, Beason and I all played totally different,’” Williams said recently at UM’s Sports Hall of Fame bowling event at Splittsville in South Miami.

Williams said he told McCloud: “We’ve all got totally different philosophies, so if you would sit in a room with us all at one time it would be mixed messages. I would attack a play different than Vilma or Beason would attack a play. I said it’s better to sit with each of us one on one and whatever that knowledge gives you, if you like the way my technique was, go out and try it. If it works for your game, you use it. If not, you use Beason’s or use Vilma’s.”

Williams said he has spoken to each of the linebackers “individually. But I’ve talked to them collectively in a group before. I’ve got a group chat with them on social media. We joke back and forth. Sometimes we don’t even talk about football.”

Here’s the advice/message Williams has given each of the three:

▪ Williams’ message to Quarterman: “He reminds me of myself, meaning his size; he’s a big kid. I told him, ‘You came in, you’re 18, 19, you’re already 250. You’re only going to get bigger or stronger.’

“I said you’ve got to start learning how to eat correctly now and take care of your body. I said, honestly, ‘you’ve got to get down [in weight].’ You saw from his freshman year to this past year, he lost about 10 pounds and he looked a lot quicker and more athletic.

“I told him, ‘You’ve got to keep going [down].’ I let him know 235, 240 is max. In the NFL, you don’t have to be huge. You look at all the great linebackers right now. [Pittsburgh’s injured Ryan] Shazier weighs 225 pounds. [You need] speed, durability. Shaq, I told him to start learning now. Because when you get to the NFL, what are you going to have? More free time, more money, more steak and lobsters.”

▪ Williams’ message to Pinckney: “With him, I say, ‘Just trust your instincts’ because he’s so fast and so athletic. I told him at the next level it’s good to use that but at some point in time, you’ve got to use that before plays as well because guys are afraid of your speed.

“Attack them like you’re going to run away from them. Use their momentum and then you can run through them. When you’re a smaller guy, you can’t just run through a guy. You’ve got to finesse a little bit, get them off balance and then use your strength.”

▪ His message to McCloud: “I love Zach. He’s the hard hat and lunch pail guy. I told him just be consistent. When you play SAM linebacker, out of the three it’s not the most exciting. You don’t get a lot of recognition or notoriety and don’t get to make a lot of plays in the stat book and numbers wise. But that position is one of the more important linebacker positions because that’s the book end of the defense. I told him just be consistent and don’t worry about the accolades. I told him coaches will be able to see you can play.”

What will Williams advise them to do if any of the three wants to turn pro after their junior seasons?

“They’re all different individuals,” Williams said. “It will depend on their situations. I will [remind them] that once you go, you can’t come back. I told them last year, ‘You guys have a chance to be the best linebacker corps in the history of the University of Miami if you guys all stay here together for four years. That’s the only way it’s going to happen.’

“But it’s a different day and age. I let everyone do what they want to do. I stayed because I was having fun, but it was a different mind-set back then.”

Williams — who has seen several second- and third-day UM prospects turn pro the past two years — said he doesn’t believe the prime motivator is money.

“It is not so much making money; it’s the monotony of class and all that staff,” he said. “They are student-athletes, but at the same time a lot of these guys are coming here to ball, if we’re being honest. That’s what wears guys down. That’s why guys retire from the NFL. That’s why I retired. It’s the meetings, the offseason.”

Incidentally, Williams, Brett Romberg, Vilma and Antrel Rolle have combined on a website — outthehuddle.com — that offers their in-depth analysis of Canes personnel.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article205382489.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Wil be interesting to see who gets drafted first, Shaq or Pickney. Pretty sure it will be Shaq because he is so big, smart and reliable, but Pickney at times seems to be much more explosive and capable of making more big plays.

Nice read. It's always great to see the bond between the former greats and the current guys. This is uniquely Miami in terms of the level our former players take it to.

As much as I love our starting 3 LBs, they need to keep working towards realizing their potential because they are clearly not there yet. That's not a knock on them it's just the honest truth and I'm sure they would be the first to agree.

Of the 3, Zack McCloud has the most to improve on but I'm not down on him like some here are. It's a fact Zack has struggled with taking bad angles, misdiagnosis of plays and generally looking lost in coverage but the kid has the talent and ability IMO to overcome that and develop into a very good player. Going into his junior year I would not be a bit surprised to see McCloud start to put it all together and have a breakout year but I need to start seeing it this year. This is a very important year for #53. Both the 2018 season and this off season leading up to it.

Shaquille Quarterman is a tough hard working and reliable Mike backer who has the skills and potential to finish his career as an AA. Obviously he needs to take the next step and that means asserting himself more in terms of being a consistent play maker. I want to see more big impact plays from Shaq. I agree with Stefan Adams when he wrote that Shaq had a tendency to disappear for certain stretches during games and that is unacceptable for a player of his caliber. Having said that, Im not worried about Shaq at all. He was only a true Sophomore and I am certain that he will take the next step in his development this year.

Michael Pinckney has shown great instincts in his first 2 years at Will LB. Pinckney is quick and explosive with a knack for making big plays. Pinckney's weakness however has been consistency as well as his proclivity for taking himself out of a play due to his overaggressiveness. Pinckney needs to learn to control his game and to channel his explosiveness and aggression within the framework of the defense. He needs to learn to let the game come to him at times and not to press so much. I expect Mike Pinckney to take a big step this year and possibly have an AA type of year. I expect to see much more disciplined, consistent and even play from him as he cuts down on mistakes like hitting the wrong gap. I look for Pink to potentially have a monster year.

If all 3 stay healthy I believe we will see a quantum leap from the LB unit as a whole as they get closer to earning the lofty Bermuda Triangle 2.0 nickname that we as fans have placed on them since the beginning.

Advertisement
“I told him, ‘You’ve got to keep going [down].’ I let him know 235, 240 is max. In the NFL, you don’t have to be huge. You look at all the great linebackers right now. [Pittsburgh’s injured Ryan] Shazier weighs 225 pounds. [You need] speed, durability. Shaq, I told him to start learning now. Because when you get to the NFL, what are you going to have? More free time, more money, more steak and lobsters.”
I'll leave this here for all the "_______(insert player name) needs to get bigger!!" bozos.

I'll leave this here for all the "_______(insert player name) needs to get bigger!!" bozos.

Just goes with what I’ve been saying all along.

Everyone is different when it comes to food, strength training, metabolism. Some people just put on weight, and some have a hard time putting on weight. Depending on their age, and their metabolism.

Maybe Shaq is just one of those people that even working out like a madman, he still has to watch what he eats. It’s all variable. There are people that can eat a whole pizza pies by themselves at night and just don’t put weight on. It might catch up in their 40s, but not when they’re young. Probably Shaq is one of those people that to watch his carb intake post workout. I’m not saying I actually know, I’m just saying that metabolism is so variable among individuals.

Advertisement
Nice read. It's always great to see the bond between the former greats and the current guys. This is uniquely Miami in terms of the level our former players take it to.

As much as I love our starting 3 LBs, they need to keep working towards realizing their potential because they are clearly not there yet. That's not a knock on them it's just the honest truth and I'm sure they would be the first to agree.

Of the 3, Zack McCloud has the most to improve on but I'm not down on him like some here are. It's a fact Zack has struggled with taking bad angles, misdiagnosis of plays and generally looking lost in coverage but the kid has the talent and ability IMO to overcome that and develop into a very good player. Going into his junior year I would not be a bit surprised to see McCloud start to put it all together and have a breakout year but I need to start seeing it this year. This is a very important year for #53. Both the 2018 season and this off season leading up to it.

Shaquille Quarterman is a tough hard working and reliable Mike backer who has the skills and potential to finish his career as an AA. Obviously he needs to take the next step and that means asserting himself more in terms of being a consistent play maker. I want to see more big impact plays from Shaq. I agree with Stefan Adams when he wrote that Shaq had a tendency to disappear for certain stretches during games and that is unacceptable for a player of his caliber. Having said that, Im not worried about Shaq at all. He was only a true Sophomore and I am certain that he will take the next step in his development this year.

Michael Pinckney has shown great instincts in his first 2 years at Will LB. Pinckney is quick and explosive with a knack for making big plays. Pinckney's weakness however has been consistency as well as his proclivity for taking himself out of a play due to his overaggressiveness. Pinckney needs to learn to control his game and to channel his explosiveness and aggression within the framework of the defense. He needs to learn to let the game come to him at times and not to press so much. I expect Mike Pinckney to take a big step this year and possibly have an AA type of year. I expect to see much more disciplined, consistent and even play from him as he cuts down on mistakes like hitting the wrong gap. I look for Pink to potentially have a monster year.

If all 3 stay healthy I believe we will see a quantum leap from the LB unit as a whole as they get closer to earning the lofty Bermuda Triangle 2.0 nickname that we as fans have placed on them since the beginning.
I agree..no further comments needed

I told Shaq he needs to start this season no more than 230.. Last I checked he was 237... he finally agrees now that everyone else is telling him. Kids

Around 230 is going to be a perfect weight for Shaq. Nice combination of size/force but gives him a little extra in the movement dept. He’s already strong so that’s not changing.

Is he working with the nutritionist?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back