Barry J. article 2/24/20

Advertisement
It says ticket sales are up. BUT without the billboard, ticket sales would surely have been up more. So, in reality, ticket sales are DOWN and perhaps significantly. A fav politician argument.

▪ Sophomore Keontra Smith, a well-regarded safety prospect, has been moved to striker in advance of the start of spring practice next week.

UM moved Smith to safety when he arrived; he played in seven games.

With Romeo Finley’s eligibility having expired, UM needed depth at striker, a pseudo safety/linebacker position that Manny Diaz added to the defense two years ago. Smith now will compete with Gilbert Frierson for striker duties; Frierson was Finley’s backup last season.

Miami believes Smith has the coverage skills needed to thrive in that position; the striker often must cover running backs and tight ends in the passing game.

UM already has plenty of depth at safety, with Gurvan Hall, Amari Carter, Bubba Bolden and three natural freshmen.

Defensive coordinator Blake Baker remarked last summer how Smith occasionally “pops up out of nowhere and does something really well.”

▪ UM has informed select people around the program that the spring game has been scheduled for April 11 at Traz Powell Stadium in Miami.

Asked why Miami opted for Traz Powell instead of Hard Rock Stadium, UM athletic director Blake James said Hard Rock was not available that day. Traz Powell, which has hosted UM scrimmages in past years, is on the campus of Miami Dade North Community College, at 11380 NW 27th Ave. That will be the only Canes spring scrimmage open to the public.

Unlike some years in the past, the spring game will not conflict with the first Saturday of the NBA playoffs, which open April 18 this year.

▪ UM hopes its move to the spread offense could help Tate Martell, who will compete with N’Kosi Perry for the backup quarterback job behind D’Eriq King.

“Since I got here, I sat down with all those guys and I told them, ‘It’s a fresh start. You’ve got a clean slate with me,’” new offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said. “So far, they’ve been great. Look, they’re both going to be juniors, so if they don’t have some urgency, then that’s probably going to be tough on them.”

▪ Diaz said UM’s 2020 schedule - featuring only one bye, at the exact midpoint of the season - is “a much better schedule than a year ago in terms of spacing of games. Six games and a bye and six. Starting with three at home gets people excited to see D’Eriq King play and see the style of offense [that UM is implementing].”

UM starts spring practice on Monday (two days later than originally planned) and then will have sessions on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday before adjourning for spring break. Those practices next week are closed to the public. Then UM will have four more practices before players get another eight days off.

▪ Quick stuff: Former UM great Alonzo Highsmith, who was let go by the Cleveland Browns after the team made changes above him, has resurfaced as a draft consultant with the Seattle Seahawks and could end up there in a full time role. Highsmith, of course, spoke to UM about a front office job in January but said he never received an offer.

Advertisement
I swore to myself I wasn't going to get season tickets again and waste another year driving 5 hours down and back for this continuous ****show. But, after they hired Lashlee and made that commitment to change the offense I decided to give them another shot. Let's hope Manny learned something last year and doesn't get outcoached almost every game this time time around.....

I still think the Smith move to Striker is suboptimal. I love the kid's talent, so I'm sure he'll do well there. But Carter or Huff would have been the better choice.

That backup QB spot is going to be super interesting and certain to be the cause of many arguments on Canesinsight. May the best man win. I'm so glad the drama queen has transferred.

I refuse to put money into this **** show. Any of you going spend $ need to look no further than the mirror when the product is ****** again. You are not allowed to complain because you are financing the ****tiness

Then return the hat you bought that one time and leave.

It's a private school. If you don't support it financially, you don't support it.

Good riddance.

Advertisement
The Miami Hurricanes fanbase are the "battered women" of college football. No matter how bad they smack us around, we also go back.
Nah, they’re more like the chick who ignores you for years until she finds out you made some money and then pretends she’s been in love with you from day one.

I refuse to put money into this **** show. Any of you going spend $ need to look no further than the mirror when the product is ****** again. You are not allowed to complain because you are financing the ****tiness
Have to believe with Lash that it's going to get better. If I still lived in Miami, I would 100% want to be at games this season. We've been wanting to see an offensive explosion via spread concepts for how long now? I'd so be there. I say this realizing I (we) have been sucker punched by this program for 2 decades.

Advertisement
"...Despite the 6-7 season, UM - from a season ticket renewal standpoint - says the Canes are pacing about 10 higher than they were last year at this point. New sales are also pacing about five percent higher than last year.

The move to a spread offense and the signing of quarterback King have caused a jump in sales in recent weeks.

But merchandise sales remain flat at area retailers that sell Canes clothing..."

Well, there you have it, the market has spoken. Manuela likely only needs 6-7 Ws to stay on for 2021.

JFC.

The sky is falling!!! The sky is falling!!!!
Chicken-Little-Mom.gif

Advertisement
I still think the Smith move to Striker is suboptimal. I love the kid's talent, so I'm sure he'll do well there. But Carter or Huff would have been the better choice.

That backup QB spot is going to be super interesting and certain to be the cause of many arguments on Canesinsight. May the best man win. I'm so glad the drama queen has transferred.
Carter sucks in space and can’t cover

Have you seen our depth at LB? No chance we are moving Huff to Striker.

Advertisement
Back