Banda runs down safety group following Tues. drills

View as article
I would be shocked if anyone who’s ever played Safety at any level where skill position players run under a 5.0 40 says they prefer being rotated out.

You straight up see the game totally differently from the sideline. A lot of your keys show tendencies over the course of the game. That lazy, oversized TE starts setting up his stance differently from Q1 to Q3 and you’re able to notice when he’s going to block down or go vert even before the ball is snapped. That overanxious slot tells you when it’s a running play and when he’s more likely to run a pattern. RBs give away a ton just from their stance or depth.

And, sure, some of that can be picked up when you’re on the sideline, but a lot of it happens from a combination of film and flow of the game.

I understand their logic in ‘building depth’ via guys getting live snaps. Yet, I find it freakin’ weird we use this rationale for Safeties, but when we were paper thin at LB last year, it was immediately apparent our LBs - even a guy like Shaq who’d been here for 53 years - weren’t cross-trained enough that we had to play a walk-on (last year, anyway) in critical times. Does each position group just decide on its own ‘yeah, we’re gonna roll out whoever the f, whenever the f, Bc depth.’

Let the primary Safeties get the overwhelming # of defensive snaps, please. You want to roll some other guys out there? Create sub-packages or wait till we’re up by 35, if that happens. You want to rotate DEs? I’m in. For analytical positions, let the players feel out the game. Maybe if we did Amari would have lined up on the correct hash when UF went bombs away to the field side last season. Maybe not, who knows.

Advertisement
I concur; leave Hall and Bolden out there. Keep the teeth of the defense razor sharp, dominate, and when we’re up 3TD’s let the youngins get their time to shine.
this is the biggest issue. Every good team has 4-5 cupcakes a year that they are up 21 on by half time. Perfect time to rotate guys in and protect your starters. But when your 17-12 against C. Michigan or dare i mention losing to FIU etc. It completely f*cks the entire gameplan up.

At some point this team is going to have to start imposing their will against lesser teams so that critical guys aren't forced to play in 60-70 snaps against Duke, G. Tech etc.

I like Banda but please STOP ROTATING SAFETIES!! Leave Gurvan and Bubba back there. And unless one of them gets hurt... LEAVE THEM ALONE!! I spoke with Hall’s uncle yesterday and he expressed Gurvan’s frustration with the rotating, and I don’t blame him!!
Cmon tho...great interview. Gotta give him that.

No other position group has gotten drafted more than our Safeties within the last 4 years...

I get that it's popular to wanna take shots at Banda, but in comparison to the rest of the Defensive staff he's earned the right to have leeway with his group.

Meanwhile we haven't had a CB drafted above the 5th round & only one LB drafted in the last 4 years, but yeah go off lol...

LMAO at the new low level of production that’s being accepted at Miami. I don’t feel the need to choose one or the other. Both positions are not being developed - and are not playing - up to Miami standards. We are in a BANDA thread responding to a BANDA interview about rotating guys like Carter when he’s clearly not a MIAMI caliber Safety.

Odd right?

Now tell me about developing depth so I can politely point to what they DID NOT DO in 2018 in regards to “rotating” players...

Advertisement
Banda can’t help himself. Played Robert Knowles last year way too often.. Manny and Baker are no different. If Scott Patchan doesn’t transfer, he 100% gets snaps over Jahfari Harvey this year. This coaching staff has this obsession with 5th year Jag’s. They better not give Bubba Bolden and Gurvan Hall’s snaps away to Amari Carter. But we know it’s coming.
2nd & 15 and they rotate Knowles & #44 out there. This defensive staff runs the D like it's Pop Warner where everybody has to play...amateur hour Bro:

Last edited:
2nd & 15 and they rotate Knowles & #44 out there. This defensive staff runs the D like it's Pop Warner where everybody has to play...amateur hour Bro:

Knowles was actually decent last year, but he had no business playing anytime before that. He gave up multiple huge, game changing plays in that LSU game and it was horrible coaching.

Rotating the safeties so frequently is dumb imo, however, if the safeties are all badass, it makes more sense.

Usually take the coach's side on these but I have to agree. In 2001 Reed and Lewis basically never came out unless they were crazy winded or we were way up. Same with ST and Sikes the next 2 years.
He's been doing it since Jamal and rayshawn were here, that's how you build depth, which was actually why jaquan stepped right in and took over and excelled early. That'll keep them boys hungry out their too, and mentally engaged knowing at any moment their number will be called. Also, not only does it build depth, but it keeps depth coming in, all these safeties not committing and signing for nothing, they see 1st hand how banda runs things so it has obviously helped with recruiting as well cause guys can see with their own eyes, they can actually earn their way on that field, it's a good look and safety hasn't been our problem since banda got here.

He's been doing it since Jamal and rayshawn were here, that's how you build depth, which was actually why jaquan stepped right in and took over and excelled early. That'll keep them boys hungry out their too, and mentally engaged knowing at any moment their number will be called. Also, not only does it build depth, but it keeps depth coming in, all these safeties not committing and signing for nothing, they see 1st hand how banda runs things so it has obviously helped with recruiting as well cause guys can see with their own eyes, they can actually earn their way on that field, it's a good look and safety hasn't been our problem since banda got here.

The frequent rotating has to stop. We’ve lost games bc of it.

Advertisement
This is all theoretical. In reality, as we've seen, it doesn't work. Good players are taken off the field and poor players are put on the field. Its a diaz gimmick-version of the Clemson style of building depth. Depth and game experience is good, but do you see clemson rotating safeties? No, because its dumb.

I'll grant you there wasn't as much up-tempo spread back then and sometimes the rotation is necessary to keep guys fresh but Banda seems to do it regardless.
These Defenses weren’t on the field nearly as much as these past few D’s either. There were a lot of 3 and outs from the opposing offenses and a lot less from our own.

The frequent rotating has to stop. We’ve lost games bc of it.
Not really, I'm not sure why people keep trying to focus on banda, but since 2016, defense has hardly ever been our problem, no need in people trying to focus on proven coaches, coach banda knows WTF he's doing, the 2 you might want to keep an eye on his patke but more importantly blake baker, the way sam brooks closed out the season, about the only question mark we'll probably have over their is baker.

This is all theoretical. In reality, as we've seen, it doesn't work. Good players are taken off the field and poor players are put on the field. Its a diaz gimmick-version of the Clemson style of building depth. Depth and game experience is good, but do you see clemson rotating safeties? No, because its dumb.
LoL, we're not Clemson, and I don't watch their games or GAF what they doing over their, if you're focusing on coach banda and what he's been doing, than your focus is definitely on the wrong side of the ball and person. Do you think that many safeties co.mitting is "theoretical" or they have complete confidence that they'll be in good hands and coach banda knows what he's doing. You guys have amnesia, he helped to coach the top secondary in the nation and even than people made themselves into clowns still complaining.

This program started being rebuilt under coach richt the right way, and our safety play has barely been our problem, and we got more athlete's in the fold to play back their now, competition is way up , so again, coach banda or our Safeties is not the problem!

Advertisement
Rule #1- No more jumping into each other when celebrating. Bolden's injury was almost as dumb and comical as when Bill Gramatica tore his ACL jumping up and down after kicking a field goal in the first quarter of a game.

I've only seen about fifty players injure themselves for the season doing that bumping crap.

Why act like this is your first game/TD/interception/fumble recovery?

I never saw Ed Reed jumping around like he had ice down his shorts when he made a play.

Advertisement
Back