Banda outlines safety depth, talks Bubba Bolden arrival

View as article
You can look up and down Top 10 teams in nation secondary coaching and you won’t see this much indecision or a coach come to conclusion about rotating after 6 practices. From a mental standpoint and former football player. A coach talking about rotating to the media just doesn’t put your starters at ease going into a huge game.

clemson started the same guys all playoffs and regular season. 3 are all

Clemson had the same four guys start the season. No changes in secondary. 1 just got drafted in Trayvon Mullens, but AJ Terrell, Wallace and other safety all were the same. You have to buiid that communication and I agree with competition totally but it’s to early in camp to talk about rotating as a coach. You haven’t even played live scrimmage yet.

We are talking about rotating during the game, not rotating who starts. Apples and oranges. And maybe I’m wrong about Clemson but I thought they were running guys in all the time on defense during the game.

Advertisement
Stoops was the best DB coach we’ve had over the last 20 years, and his best players stayed in the game. Unless they were injured, or it was a blowout, they took all the meaningful snaps. Our Def. had its best overall year under Manny last year with less rotation in the back seven - and much less zone.

Don’t fix what ain’t broken.

Never understood this rotation bs. Best players stayed in the game for the most part maybe an occasional brake here or there. The dumbest coaches rotate a bunch of players. There's no ***** reason to do it. Play your best players all the time.

Because if we have 4 guys who can play then guess what? 4 guys will play. Its not a hard concept and I never spoke on "significantly" rotating safeties I said if we have 4 guys who can play to a high standard then theres no reason to not play them. I find it funny people try to talk down on his resume when hes literally sent the only 4 guys hes started to the league. In my post i give an example of us using 3 safeties at once so why is it rotating an issue?
I've heard the coaches talk about the need for guys to get reps so they're prepared if **** goes down. I also saw some rotations last year that I consider too much. I don't talk about Banda's resume because I really don't care what he did before, only what he does here and he's already been here 4 seasons.

My issue, and I've even mentioned this about Coach Diaz with his LBs at times last season, is be a little more restrictive about forcing guys out there for reps in critical scenarios. And, if you feel the absolute need to, pick and choose your spots and how they're mixed with other (DB) rotations.

There were moments the last couple years I'd cross all my fingers and toes because we trotted out Mike Smith and another backup LB, Knowles and Carter. Yo, you're playing against a 1st team Offense in a meaningful enough game (we still lose to ****** teams). Let the primary safeties get their looks. It really helps. That's even more important this year for young guys who need more time to recognize (vs Jaquan and Redwine last year).

And, yeah, we'll use 3 Safeties at once. I'm sure we'll see more of that this season. If we determine Hall is the superior Safety, I'd like him to get 75% of the snaps, though, as an example.

Advertisement
That's poor coaching IMO.
If you played D Smith and Carter more in 2018 (or just as much as 2017) they would be much more experienced this year and be ready to take over.
They would be able to play full speed knowing exactly what they are doing.
I
We are talking about rotating during the game, not rotating who starts. Apples and oranges. And maybe I’m wrong about Clemson but I thought they were running guys in all the time on defense during the game.
I think the scrimmage will tell us more about this safety room. I’m all for it if it wins games but it’s hard to find a rhythm rotating guys

You doubting his coaching hes did it w Jenkins and Carter then Johnson and Redwine? Why cant he do it w better athletes? I agree with the flow but thats why i said a "high standard" if theres no dropoff you rotate and keep guys fresh. I mean we saw Amari on the field with Jaquan and Red last year why cant we see that again this year?

He did what? I’ve never been impressed by his development with any of those guys. Any of them guys were first rounders or ALL-ACC 1st team? What about consensus all Americans?

Carter went undrafted partly bc...in their 3 safety look, Banda would keep him deep at FS in the one high look instead of being in the box where his strengths clearly were.

Jaquan imho was better as a junior than he was as a senior. I thought he regressed some.

Jenkins & Redwine were drafted where their talent level and production indicated but I guess some credit is due. It’s not like he made them worse.

Does he credit for Rayshawn?

How are they supposed to keep from getting injured if they are playing every down of a 40 min defensivd game?

The weight room & conditioning program...that’s how. Those things are not solely to just improve as a football player..it’s moreso for injury prevention.

There’s an in-season weight training program also.

The weight room & conditioning program...that’s how. Those things are not solely to just improve as a football player..it’s moreso for injury prevention.

There’s an in-season weight training program also.
I understand that. But even Ed Reed would take breathers. Not a player that doesn’t get those. Everyone agrees best players play and should do so often, 90% or more of the plays. But if have a couple plays that tax you, you’re not going to be the best player on the field for a play or two which is all it takes sometime to make mistakes. You gotta have depth that can spell is all I’m saying. Great players can’t be great without help.

Advertisement
Outside of DL, I always thought we rotated too much without rhyme or reason. The starters are starters for a reason and we aren’t even close to the point where were “stacked“.

Look at LSU last year on their big run early. We had backups in at DL, LB (Jennings), and DB (Knowles).
If our offense stays on the field, I would expect our defense to rotate less. Our offense last year was so bad that our starters on defense were gassed.

Outside of DL, I always thought we rotated too much without rhyme or reason. The starters are starters for a reason and we aren’t even close to the point where were “stacked“.

Look at LSU last year on their big run early. We had backups in at DL, LB (Jennings), and DB (Knowles).
we pretty much had the entire 2nd D out there that play smh

I understand that. But even Ed Reed would take breathers. Not a player that doesn’t get those. Everyone agrees best players play and should do so often, 90% or more of the plays. But if have a couple plays that tax you, you’re not going to be the best player on the field for a play or two which is all it takes sometime to make mistakes. You gotta have depth that can spell is all I’m saying. Great players can’t be great without help.

Ed Reed took breathers in blowouts...watch the film.

Advertisement
You're comparing any safety, let alone ours, to Ed Reed?

Why stop there? Why didn’t Al Golden win Championships like Jimmy?

What college did Ed Reed play at again? What board is this again? Are you retarded? Who brought up Ed? You did.

What about Mo Sikes, James Lewis, Darryl Willlams, Al Blades Sr, Brandon Merriweather, Kenny Philips. Do you even understand the standard of Miami Hurricane football? No you do not.

Advertisement
What college did Ed Reed play at again? What board is this again? Are you retarded? Who brought up Ed? You did.

What about Mo Sikes, James Lewis, Darryl Willlams, Al Blades Sr, Brandon Merriweather, Kenny Philips. Do you even understand the standard of Miami Hurricane football? No you do not.
I realize that Ed Reed is the greatest safety of all time. He’s an outlier. Statistical analysis almost ALWAYS throws out the outlier because it’s not a source consistent truth.

You tell me Quan or Bush or Merriweather didn’t come off cool. Because that’s the truth. That’s fair comparison. You just threw out Ed Reed because it was the only way to support your flawed argument. You told me to watch film but I doubt you have. Bring me a film study if you’re so sure you want to throw out insults. Tired of your rudeness bro.

Isn't Banda Manny's boy? He was on his way to Rutgers before Richt offered him a co- DC position and more $$$$. He must be impressing someone. If you guys **** on Banda you are sh1tting on Manny too who is giving him the responsibility to coach in this defense. I say let this play out and then react instead of reading what we want to read in his coach speak to media and freaking out.

That's poor coaching IMO.
If you played D Smith and Carter more in 2018 (or just as much as 2017) they would be much more experienced this year and be ready to take over.
They would be able to play full speed knowing exactly what they are doing.

Nah they get reps in practice to show if they’re ready you don’t use a real game like it’s a practice and it’s okay to make mistakes everyone’s jobs are on the line.

Derrick Smith is showing out in practice which is why he’s currently beating out Carter for the starting SS spot. Carter isn’t fluid enough to be a safety or Striker imo. I think he would be a very athletic linebacker though.

Advertisement
Back