Bain not interested in the U

I think the staff knows a lot more about who's on their board and what they have on the team then any of us do.
Lest anyone forget we do have 8 dt's on the roster. Moore, Briscoe and Ivery and Corey King were all guys everyone thought would be good
by their junior and senior seasons, you know...like all DT commits.
It takes time to develop both d line and o line players.
Everybody here keeps harping that we need an impact D lineman, like some freshman is going to come in here and dominate like they did in high school.
Every DT we have if you look at their HS tape dominated in high school. Even the so called plan C recruits dominated in high school.
The fact of the matter is that there isn't one DT available no matter the stars that is going to come in here and dominate.
Boy strength versus man strength.
I think it is realistic to say that every DT we have on the roster right now is a better college DT then any high school DT in the country.
Players need time to develop, even superstar talent needs time to develop and adjust.
Same as when college stars go to the pros. It's a rare player that stars on the next level instantaneously.
The top 1% of high school players play in college and only the best in college go to the pros.
We've had a lot of dominant DT's here at Miami. A lot of them, and NONE of them were dominant as freshmen. Not Rubin Carter, Lester Williams, Kevin ***an, Tony Chickillo, Jim Burt, Jerome Brown, Damione Lewis, Greg Mark, Vince Wilfork, Warren Sapp, Matt Walters, William Joseph, Daniel Stubbs, The Tez, Russell Maryland. NONE of them.

Give our guys the chance to earn your disdain or your praise. Just like in the past I'm sure there will be some stars out of our current group, because there always has been and always will be.

This. And at the end of the year, Olsen Pierre was starting to really play well. I think some of the guys on the roster will develop into solid player, maybe not superstars, but solid players.

Advertisement
I've also noticed that many of our better players recently were recruiting after thoughts.
Guys like Orlando Franklin, LaRon Byrd, Travis Benjamin, Brandon Washington, Miconor Regis, Malcolm Bunche, Shayon Green, Allen Hurns, Shane McDermott, Eddie Johnson, Rashawn Scott, Phillip Dorsett and last but not least Stephen Morris who only had a few offers and none from what anybody would call a top football power.

That's just recently. I won't even go back into the past where we could start with Jim Kelly and work our way up through a list of all time great NFL players who weren't highly recruited at all.

5 stars are great, but our record just like everyone else's record with 5 star prima donna's is hit and miss.
The line between average and great at D tackle is pretty fine and oftentimes is just a matter of a player flipping an internal switch and actually "getting it."

I think the staff knows a lot more about who's on their board and what they have on the team then any of us do.
Lest anyone forget we do have 8 dt's on the roster. Moore, Briscoe and Ivery and Corey King were all guys everyone thought would be good
Everybody here keeps harping that we need an impact D lineman, like some freshman is going to come in here and dominate like they did in high school.
Every DT we have if you look at their HS tape dominated in high school. Even the so called plan C recruits dominated in high school.
The fact of the matter is that there isn't one DT available no matter the stars that is going to come in here and dominate.
I think it is realistic to say that every DT we have on the roster right now is a better college DT then any high school DT in the country.
Players need time to develop, even superstar talent needs time to develop and adjust.
Same as when college stars go to the pros. It's a rare player that stars on the next level instantaneously.
The top 1% of high school players play in college and only the best in college go to the pros.
We've had a lot of dominant DT's here at Miami. A lot of them, and NONE of them were dominant as freshmen. Not Rubin Carter, Lester Williams, Kevin ***an, Tony Chickillo, Jim Burt, Jerome Brown, Damione Lewis, Greg Mark, Vince Wilfork, Warren Sapp, Matt Walters, William Joseph, Daniel Stubbs, The Tez, Russell Maryland. NONE of them.

Give our guys the chance to earn your disdain or your praise. Just like in the past I'm sure there will be some stars out of our current group, because there always has been and always will be.

This. And at the end of the year, Olsen Pierre was starting to really play well. I think some of the guys on the roster will develop into solid player, maybe not superstars, but solid players.

Agree with u buddha, but guys want a Jcuo dt bad because that can help us be a great team next year. If Pierre comes along thats great but hes one guy, I dont expect Brisco to do nada, Ivery and Moore still need another year IMO. We need 2 guy that can get some sort of push in the middle.

On a completely different position, I noticed a plan C or plan D guy just won the Heisman trophy. Some 3 star guy who was 6' 175lbs when he was a true freshman and redshirted.
Players need time to develop.

Colin Klein was a WR too I am pretty sure

He might be a tight end in the pros. He might be a classic example of a great college qb without the physical arm strength, motion and release to make an impact at qb in the pros. He sure tore our *** up two years in a row.

Your right though because Suh took 3 or 4 years if I remember. The thing is the SEC gets the ready to make an impact guys every year while we cant find a JUCO kid that can qualify. I know AG must hate that with a passion, im pretty sure he has lost alot of guys because of this.

Advertisement
We just assume the JUCO guys are ready because they are older, but for these guys the jump to D1 is pretty much the same as it is for a high school player in terms of the competition they've faced. Darius Smith, Kayne Farquehson and Gunter might be the first to tell you that.
I live in L.A. and Pierce College is on the west side of the Valley. Sandland plays there and I've seen them play and I can tell you that Booker T kicks their ***. Sandland is the best player they have, maybe the only player they have and will probably be a stud, but how many JUCO DT's have you ever seen that went D1 and were dominant their first year? Off the top of my head filled with useless football knowledge I can't think of any.
It's like these prep schools. You would think they have roster completely full of D1 talent waiting to qualify, but they don't. Same thing with JUCO.

Agree with u buddha, but guys want a Jcuo dt bad because that can help us be a great team next year. If Pierre comes along thats great but hes one guy, I dont expect Brisco to do nada, Ivery and Moore still need another year IMO. We need 2 guy that can get some sort of push in the middle.

I think what we really need from our D line next year and our defense in general is for the guys we have right now to get bigger, stronger, faster and more intelligent football wise. I noticed that when our defense played the scheme they were supposed to play they did pretty well. When they didn't we had 99 yard td's against us. Misdirection has hurt us because we run real fast the wrong way. Gunter looked lost half the time. A supreme talent like Howard looked as clueless as the last 5 star db we signed Brandon Harris. You guys remember how good Harris looked after his freshman year? He looked like a completely different player. All of our Defensive linemen looked good this year and they also looked bad. We desperately need a middle linebacker to step up as for most of the year we played defense like we didn't have one. We need Denzel to stay healthy. We need EJ, that plan D signee, to pull his head out of his butt, and just be a wrecking ball.
We don't need dominant DT's, we just need good ones. DT's that can shed a block would be nice. DE's with more than a bull rush.

After last year's defense, we can only go up. If we are only a good defense next year we have a good chance to run the table.

On a completely different position, I noticed a plan C or plan D guy just won the Heisman trophy. Some 3 star guy who was 6' 175lbs when he was a true freshman and redshirted.
Players need time to develop.

Colin Klein was a WR too I am pretty sure

He might be a tight end in the pros. He might be a classic example of a great college qb without the physical arm strength, motion and release to make an impact at qb in the pros. He sure tore our *** up two years in a row.

Yeah just saying that when you start talking about star rankings and whatnot, for some reason a lot of it is based on their pro potential. With how guys are used differently in college it's easy for guys to be missed even with all the media access we have these days,

LMFAO at guys writing off 18 y/o Briscoe because Ariz said he plays video games.

Advertisement
LMFAO at guys writing off 18 y/o Briscoe because Ariz said he plays video games.

Seriously. The kid turned 18 two weeks ago. He's still got baby fat on his arms.

But you can't teach the size he brings to this team.

Advertisement
Back