Bags, no. Alternatives, maybe.

lurk

Recruit
Background Hypothesis: First of all, it is accepted "fact" the almost all of the top football schools do find a means to lure players with "bags". That said, we at Miami are at a major disadvantage because we shouldn't and don't play those games. We can't because we have so many fans of opponents around that will be thrilled to turn us in to get the death penalty.

What we can do (1)- main idea: There is no rule that says we can't "overpay" coaches and ancillary services. Our wealthy donors can't and best not pay players (per the above reasons), but why not use that "savings" to pay, for example, 1.5 times the going rate for the best coaches in the business?

What we can do (2)- minor idea: There is no rule I know of where a current player (with very rich family) can't buy his teammates gifts, pay for meals, lend him his fancy car from "his" stable of vehicles. We just need some of our very caring boosters and rich former players to have decendants that are conceivably good enough to be walk-ons or scholarship atheletes for the Canes.

I'm sure others have equal or better ways to legally use our potential resources. Feel free to share.

Again...it's sillt to talk about us ever having a bag game. We can't and shouldn't do that, but we can use those potential resources in legal and significantly positive ways.

Advertisement
Background Hypothesis: First of all, it is accepted "fact" the almost all of the top football schools do find a means to lure players with "bags". That said, we at Miami are at a major disadvantage because we shouldn't and don't play those games. We can't because we have so many fans of opponents around that will be thrilled to turn us in to get the death penalty.

What we can do (1)- main idea: There is no rule that says we can't "overpay" coaches and ancillary services. Our wealthy donors can't and best not pay players (per the above reasons), but why not use that "savings" to pay, for example, 1.5 times the going rate for the best coaches in the business?

What we can do (2)- minor idea: There is no rule I know of where a current player (with very rich family) can't buy his teammates gifts, pay for meals, lend him his fancy car from "his" stable of vehicles. We just need some of our very caring boosters and rich former players to have decendants that are conceivably good enough to be walk-ons or scholarship atheletes for the Canes.

I'm sure others have equal or better ways to legally use our potential resources. Feel free to share.

Again...it's sillt to talk about us ever having a bag game. We can't and shouldn't do that, but we can use those potential resources in legal and significantly positive ways.
We can barely get our boosters to pay for decent facilities, but you think we can get them to pony up to pay, on a yearly basis, for top notch coaches above market rate? Alabama has boosters that pay almost all of Saban's enormous salary....plus as a "gift" for his successes, they also paid off his mortgage (a few more million dollars) a few years ago. We simply don't have the booster network to even begin to approach the top schools for legitimately paying top dollars for coaches.

I always like to ask this of the "we shouldn't" crowd. Why?

Is it because the NCAA in your eyes has been so honest, professional and ethical when dealing with UM?

Is it because you view the University of Miami as some sort of moral superior to other Universities?

Is it the age old "death penalty" argument that Alabama laughed at when they hired Saban after being warned for the "last" time?
You do see SMU still playing ball don't you? They were given that very death penalty to never return from...and they have been playing pretty decent here of late....would likely beat our sorry ***.

Again, all morality issues aside (whatever those are)....the FACT of the matter is that an inconsistent arbiter of winners and losers like the NCAA should not exist at all.
"Cheating" in college football recruiting is breaking the rules of a dirty, unethical governing body claiming amateurism is the holy temple they have to defend as they cheat in their investigations, make **** tons of money for themselves and their dirty leadership...and decide to investigate only those they choose to investigate for major violations.

Sorry, but outside of UM can't ....I don't buy into that bull****.

UM

We should and we do buddy.

Just can’t compete with the big boys

Advertisement

We already do a lot of that.

Hilarious, because we have been so dominant we have others waiting to turn us in.
Stupid

Like you said, all major programs have bags. That includes us. We're just not on the same level as the big boys.

Like you said, all major programs have bags. That includes us. We're just not on the same level as the big boys.
Will Zo help offset some of the major bags?.
My cousin , Curious George wants to know?.
Our Canes have to do something to get back on track. This is a certainty.

Advertisement
OP - I think you're underestimating the true value of superior bag men.

They're dedicated, persistent, creative, and got cash.

Show ME cash - I'm your friend! Right then, right there.

Only way to compete with bags is have coaches with proven records on getting players into the 1st round. Thats where we need to be dumping our $$. As ive said in nimberous threads. You guys want to keep some of these 5 star DBs? Hire Raymond as the DC/db coach. Our head coaches job just got that much lighter with the hire of Zo, so he should be able to help out the DC. Raymond isnt 1 of the coaches that only recruits off bags like Hartley, Coley. He pumps his players into the 1st round like nobody else.

I always like to ask this of the "we shouldn't" crowd. Why?

Is it because the NCAA in your eyes has been so honest, professional and ethical when dealing with UM?

Is it because you view the University of Miami as some sort of moral superior to other Universities?

Is it the age old "death penalty" argument that Alabama laughed at when they hired Saban after being warned for the "last" time?
You do see SMU still playing ball don't you? They were given that very death penalty to never return from...and they have been playing pretty decent here of late....would likely beat our sorry ***.

Again, all morality issues aside (whatever those are)....the FACT of the matter is that an inconsistent arbiter of winners and losers like the NCAA should not exist at all.
"Cheating" in college football recruiting is breaking the rules of a dirty, unethical governing body claiming amateurism is the holy temple they have to defend as they cheat in their investigations, make **** tons of money for themselves and their dirty leadership...and decide to investigate only those they choose to investigate for major violations.

Sorry, but outside of UM can't ....I don't buy into that bull****.

UM
That's because you want to this program gone.

Only way to compete with bags is have coaches with proven records on getting players into the 1st round. Thats where we need to be dumping our $$. As ive said in nimberous threads. You guys want to keep some of these 5 star DBs? Hire Raymond as the DC/db coach. Our head coaches job just got that much lighter with the hire of Zo, so he should be able to help out the DC. Raymond isnt 1 of the coaches that only recruits off bags like Hartley, Coley. He pumps his players into the 1st round like nobody else.
So what if Raymond doesn't want to come here? And don't give me that "make him come" bull because if he doesn't want to, he ain't. Point blank. Period.

Advertisement
So what if Raymond doesn't want to come here? And don't give me that "make him come" bull because if he doesn't want to, he ain't. Point blank. Period.

but what if he does? Who the **** knows. But you offer him DC position and DC $. Hes from louisiana, maybe he wants to stay there. However when were discussing bringing guys home to coach, home doesnt mean anything lol. Most position coaches constantly move around and look to advance. Double his salary and see what happens

Advertisement
Back