Awesome tribute helmet for Mike Leach

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Chantz didn't bother to actually look at the 2021 Tulane season, when they played OU close as ****, when they had multiple close losses. They couldn't catch a break. If they just went .500 in one score games, which is average, they would have been 4-8 or 5-7. That's been their MO for most of the Fritz tenure. Fritz did a ton this season, the key is whether it is sustainable long term. I don't know if it is, especially at a school like Tulane.

Chantz didn't bother to actually look at the 2021 Tulane season, when they played OU close as ****, when they had multiple close losses. They couldn't catch a break. If they just went .500 in one score games, which is average, they would have been 4-8 or 5-7. That's been their MO for most of the Fritz tenure. Fritz did a ton this season, the key is whether it is sustainable long term. I don't know if it is, especially at a school like Tulane.
they just had the biggest 1 year turn around in college football history and it wasn't by talent acquisition. no matter which way you slice it, it's impressive

reality is both matter, but with competent x's and o's we should have won at least 8 games this year

they just had the biggest 1 year turn around in college football history and it wasn't by talent acquisition. no matter which way you slice it, it's impressive

reality is both matter, but with competent x's and o's we should have won at least 8 games this year
Yes, with better X's and O's we win more games, but long term, the kind of coach that would have maximized that roster would have been unlikely to upgrade the talent needed to exceed that ceiling. That was the big debate between Mario Cristobal and Lane Kiffin. I'm convinced that Lane Kiffin would have won 8+ games with this roster. The problem is that I don't think that he would have been able to recruit the same kind of class Mario did, even with that huge season. Look at Mike Norvell, has big season, still recruits at a suboptimal level.

There are few and I mean few coaches that are superior x's and o's guys, AND can recruit at a championship level.

Yes, with better X's and O's we win more games, but long term, the kind of coach that would have maximized that roster would have been unlikely to upgrade the talent needed to exceed that ceiling. That was the big debate between Mario Cristobal and Lane Kiffin. I'm convinced that Lane Kiffin would have won 8+ games with this roster. The problem is that I don't think that he would have been able to recruit the same kind of class Mario did, even with that huge season. Look at Mike Norvell, has big season, still recruits at a suboptimal level.

There are few and I mean few coaches that are superior x's and o's guys, AND can recruit at a championship level.
it's not an OR situation, a good coach should be able to assemble a staff that can do both

it's not necessary to tank in order to obtain new talent to be successful in the long term, it's an approach that mario is taking and we'll see if it works out.

tulane will be fine because winning also elevates recruiting. Mike norvell recruits at a sub optimal level but he is getting the most out of talented players like jordan travis and he's also doing well in the portal.

There are several avenues to success, mario will get us there but his way isn't the only way. plenty of head coaches have been successful this year in just year 1 and there's no reason to believe that any of these coaches won't continue to be good down the road as well. We're making it seem like having instant success is a bad thing here on the board to help justify mario and the staff's failures this year and that's just *** backwards

LSU, USC, TCU (in the national Championship game and beat michigan (would we have beaten michigan this year? and we're more talented than TCU), washington, duke, etc (even oregon maintained with a brand new head coach)

all these programs were elevated in year 1. No reaon why weren't even competitive in 5 out of our 7 losses, absolute embarrassment of a coaching job by our staff and all these other coaches proved that it can and should be done in year 1, especially by someone getting paid 8 million per year

Advertisement
it's not an OR situation, a good coach should be able to assemble a staff that can do both

it's not necessary to tank in order to obtain new talent to be successful in the long term, it's an approach that mario is taking and we'll see if it works out.

tulane will be fine because winning also elevates recruiting. Mike norvell recruits at a sub optimal level but he is getting the most out of talented players like jordan travis and he's also doing well in the portal.

There are several avenues to success, mario will get us there but his way isn't the only way. plenty of head coaches have been successful this year in just year 1 and there's no reason to believe that any of these coaches won't continue to be good down the road as well. We're making it seem like having instant success is a bad thing here on the board to help justify mario and the staff's failures this year and that's just *** backwards

LSU, USC, TCU (in the national Championship game and beat michigan (would we have beaten michigan this year? and we're more talented than TCU), washington, duke, etc (even oregon maintained with a brand new head coach)

all these programs were elevated in year 1. No reaon why weren't even competitive in 5 out of our 7 losses, absolute embarrassment of a coaching job by our staff and all these other coaches proved that it can and should be done in year 1, especially by someone getting paid 8 million per year

Let's look at LSU, USC and TCU. LSU and USC were talented programs, that had recruited well for years. In the case of LSU, they had a coach that was more concerned with getting laid than running the program. Kelly inherited a ton of top end talent, all he had to do is bring in some pieces and he was up and running. USC brought in the best playcaller in football, AND a Heisman quality QB and the best WR in the country. TCU is a unique outlier, they had a coach that had aged out, and the program had taken a step back. That said, they had a well established identity and culture that was solid, and they finally got some good injury luck. That combined with hiring the perfect coach for them(Dykes runs a scheme that is very similar to what they were running under Patterson), led to a magical season.

That said, you look at the teams that are CONSISTENTLY in the hunt, it's obvious that high end recruiting matters more so than X's and O's. Georgia isn't running some crazy diverse offense, but they bludgeon people to death with their high end talent. Same with Bama, same with Michigan. Ohio State is a unique combination of both a solid tactical coach and a ton of high end talent. The issue with them is that it's obvious that they lack physicality, and that may limit them on the big stage. Yes, you need to hire good staff, but the programs that have dominated the last 15 or so years have done so more because of the Jimmies and Joes, not their schematic advantages.

No one is saying that Year 1 under Mario was acceptable in regards to wins and losses. What we ARE saying is that this program needed an *****, not a continuation of what had come before. Frankly, from what we saw this season, Mario probably came to the conclusion that he had drastically overrated the talent on the roster following the MTSU game, where it was obvious that a lot of guys on the roster were straight quitters. I have this feeling that Mario came to the realization that whether Miami won 5 games or 8, the future of the program was most likely not on campus, so he put most of his and the staffs time on recruiting and evaluating guys, to where they could max out the recruiting class and the portal.

Let's look at LSU, USC and TCU. LSU and USC were talented programs, that had recruited well for years. In the case of LSU, they had a coach that was more concerned with getting laid than running the program. Kelly inherited a ton of top end talent, all he had to do is bring in some pieces and he was up and running. USC brought in the best playcaller in football, AND a Heisman quality QB and the best WR in the country. TCU is a unique outlier, they had a coach that had aged out, and the program had taken a step back. That said, they had a well established identity and culture that was solid, and they finally got some good injury luck. That combined with hiring the perfect coach for them(Dykes runs a scheme that is very similar to what they were running under Patterson), led to a magical season.

That said, you look at the teams that are CONSISTENTLY in the hunt, it's obvious that high end recruiting matters more so than X's and O's. Georgia isn't running some crazy diverse offense, but they bludgeon people to death with their high end talent. Same with Bama, same with Michigan. Ohio State is a unique combination of both a solid tactical coach and a ton of high end talent. The issue with them is that it's obvious that they lack physicality, and that may limit them on the big stage. Yes, you need to hire good staff, but the programs that have dominated the last 15 or so years have done so more because of the Jimmies and Joes, not their schematic advantages.

No one is saying that Year 1 under Mario was acceptable in regards to wins and losses. What we ARE saying is that this program needed an *****, not a continuation of what had come before. Frankly, from what we saw this season, Mario probably came to the conclusion that he had drastically overrated the talent on the roster following the MTSU game, where it was obvious that a lot of guys on the roster were straight quitters. I have this feeling that Mario came to the realization that whether Miami won 5 games or 8, the future of the program was most likely not on campus, so he put most of his and the staffs time on recruiting and evaluating guys, to where they could max out the recruiting class and the portal.
still making excuses for Mario sh*tting the bed and corching the team to a 5-7 record i see.

I was extremely disappointed with the play on the field this year. However, I remember saying we did not have smart football players and some who were very talented were not hungry. That’s what I saw this year. As they were coached/pressured, the real characteristics surfaced and we got to see it on full display during the MTSU game.
Go back and watch that game and tell me it’s on the coaches. Guys we’re uncoachable.

Advertisement
They should change their mascot to the pirates. That would be the ultimate tribute and it would be cool and more unique than lame as bulldogs

Advertisement
Back