Average pay for xfl coach is 500k. We coulda had stoops...

Stoops had to be contacted by college and nfl teams but now hes coaching in the xfl where the average pay is 500k. He probably gets bonuses and incentives but that's still cheap compared to his almost 10 million a year at OU. Hes the GM and HC of dallas so maybe he just didnt want the stress of college or pro ball...he did say he missed football when he wasnt coaching...man I bet we coulda got him here somehow...

Advertisement
He said he still loves coaching but didn't want to deal with the hassle and demands of big time college football anymore. This job was perfect for him.

From a recent article:

With the XFL Stoops could again chase his passion for the game but with less rigidity than college coaching demanded. The gig wasn’t based in Norman with his family, but the approximately 200-mile drive on Interstate 35 was doable. A bonus: The XFL’s spring schedule doesn’t conflict with Sooners games that Stoops has still frequented since stepping down. He need not miss games for his son Drake, an Oklahoma receiver.

“All of that together fit me at this point in my life,” Stoops said. “My love of football won out."

Last edited:
Advertisement
Stoops had to be contacted by college and nfl teams but now hes coaching in the xfl where the average pay is 500k. He probably gets bonuses and incentives but that's still cheap compared to his almost 10 million a year at OU. Hes the GM and HC of dallas so maybe he just didnt want the stress of college or pro ball...he did say he missed football when he wasnt coaching...man I bet we coulda got him here somehow...
Funny thing about the word "average"

No. Money is not the only thing that lures coaches. Sometimes it’s simple as just having, “peace of mind”. Running a successful D1 program takes a lot of behind the scenes, hard work, with rules and recruiting, and just the day to day operation. There was a reasons you didn’t see him involved in the recent job market after he left OU. Dude was tired. We just had one washed out, beaten down HC, walk away... and the answer is to bring in another one? Nah bruh. No, thank you.

He said he still loves coaching but didn't want to deal with the hassle and demands of big time college football anymore. This job was perfect for him.

From a recent article:

With the XFL Stoops could again chase his passion for the game but with less rigidity than college coaching demanded. The gig wasn’t based in Norman with his family, but the approximately 200-mile drive on Interstate 35 was doable. A bonus: The XFL’s spring schedule doesn’t conflict with Sooners games that Stoops has still frequented since stepping down. He need not miss games for his son Drake, an Oklahoma receiver.

“All of that together fit me at this point in my life,” Stoops said. “My love of football won out."

This. Stoops doesn’t want the pressure, work hours, etc. of a CFB job. He wouldn’t be willing to take the Miami job.

Advertisement
Imagine a burnt out homicide detective that retired after decades and is doing private investigation catching cheating spouses or easy going private security work, he can take it easy now not much pressure as others have mentioned

Advertisement
We could have had a lot of football success had the entire Institution done what needed to be done to compete on the P5 top 5 level.

We couldn't have gotten Stoops because he wasn't interested in coaching college.

He turned down MILLIONS from FSU, because he's a done with the hassle of recruiting & dealing with meddling boosters. Plus he didn't wanna leave Texas.

He's coaching the exact job he wants, solid money, very little work, no stress, gets to fulfill his desire to coach while not having to kill himself with high stakes pressure being on him to win right away, it's a perfect retirement gig.

Don't forget, he retired because he had Heart problems, no way he'd come back to college unless he's trying to have a heart attack on the sideline.

Advertisement
It’s good we have posters like El that can educate porsters on the critical thinking skills required to make a rational post.

The premise of this thread has the depth and complexity of pre-school building blocks.

Errr derp Stoops makes 500k...we coulda had him....errr

If I cared enough, I bet I could go back and find a Stoops thread from when we were hiring.

And I can pretty much guarantee what we would find - most of the posts will be the usual - "we CAN'T, he WOULDN'T, not US, blah blah blah" and the usual limiting mindset that so many in this fanbase has.

All based on zero actual evidence.

The fact that he turned down FSU is irrelevant. A lot of coaches turned that job down. Five, I believe. It's not a good job right now.

Jimbo left them for a lateral position, which rarely happens in college football. That's your first red flag that something is up over there. Then, they fired their next head coach after just one season. Again, not something that makes the next guy want to go there. On top of that, the roster is ****. They have no QB and no offensive line. Their boosters and university leadership have a reputation for being impossible to work with, again thanks to Jimbo.

Would not surprise me one bit if Bob Stoops is coaching at some random college in one or two seasons. But there's no way to know what he's actually thinking, and anyone trying to do that is just speculating.

All that said, I probably wouldn't want him. His best years are probably behind him.

10-week season in a garbage-*** football league made up of guys who can't play at the next level; this is free money for Stoops—a guy who is already loaded beyond belief.

This job is less-invasive than if he were an assistant coach on his kid's high school football team.

He could still be at OU knocking down $10M annually if he wanted—and could've commanded as much from Florida State when they were testing the waters.

Zero chance Bob Stoops was ever coming to Miami—and godforbid he did, he'd have lasted less time than Mark Richt. Enough with this nonsense.

Stoops retired from big time football because he didn't want to go out like he father; who dropped dead on the sideline of a high school football game he was coaching at 54 years old back in 1988.

Playing some figurehead role for a Dallas XFL team—putting a toe back in those coaching waters; low-risk, high-reward. He was already making $325,000 a year at OU as some special assistant to the AD—for $175,000 more he could could play head coach on weekends in spring instead of grinding it out with today's college football head coaching universe, which is a 12-month a year gig, with a lot of 80-hour work weeks to succeed at a high level.

I could’ve had this ***** in 12th grade who is now a Instagram model..but she was a nerd back in Hs.........🤷🏾‍♂️...anybody else got a woulda coulda story..

Advertisement
Back