Avantae Williams shows skills at Paradise, plans to return for official

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Out at Paradise Camp this weekend, Deland (FL) 4-star safety Avantae Williams proved why he is considered one of the top safeties in the nation, locking down most everyone he went up against. Williams even won the “Fastest Man” race held for the 2020 class and spoke to CIS after the event about the level of competition at Paradise.

“I think I was the best DB out here,” Williams said. “Nobody was that tough, I felt like it was easy. There was good competition out here though.”

The 5-11 170 pound prospect enjoyed the star power that Miami and head coach Manny Diaz brought to Paradise in the form of UM’s past great athletes, and Williams felt the former Cane he connected most with was a current NFL player.

“Deon Bush, he talked to me a lot,” Williams said. “I really like his style of play. He broke a lot of things down to me as in the way you can play certain things and the way the coaches teach it, eliminating things to make the game easier and slower.”

Williams pointed to “the culture” when asked what he likes about the Miami program, something he knows a lot about as a former UM commitment with a cousin on the team in sophomore running back Lorenzo Lingard. While Williams said Lingard doesn’t push him too much on recruiting, they do sometimes talk about what it’s like to play for “the U”.

“We just vibe and he just tells me the truth, the good and the bad about Miami,” Williams said.

After losing both starting safeties to the NFL over the offseason, the Canes and safeties coach Ephraim Banda are looking for replacements both on the team and in recruiting. Williams is somebody who Banda has invested a lot of time in, and sees him as the next great Miami safety.

“We’re close, I’ve known Banda since I was in middle school,” Williams said. “He tells me their defense is relentless. He sees me playing like a rover and a field safety.”

Williams has been on the Miami campus so many times and already knows everything there is to know about the program, but says that didn’t stop him from learning something new about UM after competing at Paradise.

“I learned a lot of new things about the way they coach here,” Williams said. “Technique, the way they teach things.”

Despite a great visit to Miami this weekend, Williams says he maintains his Oregon commitment.

“I’m still committed, I’m solid,” Williams said.

Although his commitment to the Ducks is still intact, Williams says that won’t stop him from continuing to take visits so he can be 100% sure of his decision.

“I’m going to take some more visits, but I don’t know where yet,” Williams said before adding, “I’m going to come back to Miami for an official. I’ll be taking my officials during the season.”

After his visits, Williams says he anticipates making a final decision in December, but that it’s not set in stone yet.

“I’m planning on signing early, but it’s not set yet, so I don’t want to put it out there and then I don’t (sign early),” Williams said. “I’m more focused on graduating, getting to college, and playing early.”

UM did not run combine testing at Paradise, but Williams most recently recorded a 4.52 40 time, a 4.25 shuttle, and a 36.20 vertical leap at the Opening Orlando regional in February.

Advertisement
Key words "play early", despite how good he is if he comes I don't think he is playing over Gurvan, Bolden, Carter, or Keontra
While it will be tough to overcome some of those guys, our staff has shown a willingness to play freshman and rotate guys in secondary (even though this can be frustrating as ****). Also, when he's a freshman, the rest of the those guys will be upper class men other than Keontra. While, our safety depth chart is talented a lot of guys are unproven and it's not extremely deep.

"Williams even won the “Fastest Man” race held for the 2020 class..."
"....most recently recorded a 4.52 40 time."
Fast but not blazing for a guy that runs high school track.

Advertisement
While it will be tough to overcome some of those guys, our staff has shown a willingness to play freshman and rotate guys in secondary (even though this can be frustrating as ****). Also, when he's a freshman, the rest of the those guys will be upper class men other than Keontra. While, our safety depth chart is talented a lot of guys are unproven and it's not extremely deep.
I completely agree, but usually when kids are worried about early playing time they want more than just rotational time, for example Octavious Brothers from the last class was so set on playing early that he was looking to either start or be and string, he didn't see a chance to so that here.

Advertisement
Out at Paradise Camp this weekend, Deland (FL) 4-star safety Avantae Williams proved why he is considered one of the top safeties in the nation, locking down most everyone he went up against. Williams even won the “Fastest Man” race held for the 2020 class and spoke to CIS after the event about the level of competition at Paradise.

“I think I was the best DB out here,” Williams said. “Nobody was that tough, I felt like it was easy. There was good competition out here though.”

The 5-11 170 pound prospect enjoyed the star power that Miami and head coach Manny Diaz brought to Paradise in the form of UM’s past great athletes, and Williams felt the former Cane he connected most with was a current NFL player.

“Deon Bush, he talked to me a lot,” Williams said. “I really like his style of play. He broke a lot of things down to me as in the way you can play certain things and the way the coaches teach it, eliminating things to make the game easier and slower.”

Williams pointed to “the culture” when asked what he likes about the Miami program, something he knows a lot about as a former UM commitment with a cousin on the team in sophomore running back Lorenzo Lingard. While Williams said Lingard doesn’t push him too much on recruiting, they do sometimes talk about what it’s like to play for “the U”.

“We just vibe and he just tells me the truth, the good and the bad about Miami,” Williams said.

After losing both starting safeties to the NFL over the offseason, the Canes and safeties coach Ephraim Banda are looking for replacements both on the team and in recruiting. Williams is somebody who Banda has invested a lot of time in, and sees him as the next great Miami safety.

“We’re close, I’ve known Banda since I was in middle school,” Williams said. “He tells me their defense is relentless. He sees me playing like a rover and a field safety.”

Williams has been on the Miami campus so many times and already knows everything there is to know about the program, but says that didn’t stop him from learning something new about UM after competing at Paradise.

“I learned a lot of new things about the way they coach here,” Williams said. “Technique, the way they teach things.”

Despite a great visit to Miami this weekend, Williams says he maintains his Oregon commitment.

“I’m still committed, I’m solid,” Williams said.

Although his commitment to the Ducks is still intact, Williams says that won’t stop him from continuing to take visits so he can be 100% sure of his decision.

“I’m going to take some more visits, but I don’t know where yet,” Williams said before adding, “I’m going to come back to Miami for an official. I’ll be taking my officials during the season.”

After his visits, Williams says he anticipates making a final decision in December, but that it’s not set in stone yet.

“I’m planning on signing early, but it’s not set yet, so I don’t want to put it out there and then I don’t (sign early),” Williams said. “I’m more focused on graduating, getting to college, and playing early.”

UM did not run combine testing at Paradise, but Williams most recently recorded a 4.52 40 time, a 4.25 shuttle, and a 36.20 vertical leap at the Opening Orlando regional in February.

Excellent overview Stefan! Thanks again!

If objective is to sign the best talent, then we want to sign this kid. He knows Miami and he knows where he's going. These top kids get weird when it comes to recruiting.

Would love to have him... crazy to think we have his cousin on board and we seem to be on the outside looking in...

Keep recruiting.. win on the field.. and see where things are closer to early signing day or NSD

Advertisement
Advertisement
Injuries happen, and Idk how any of those guys play in a starting role. Keontra will be a LB
Keontra is gonna be a in the box safety, just like jaquan. Don't know why people keep saying he is playing LB at this level, because he is not. Not saying his coverage skills is top notch, but he is better than people think.

tenor.gif

Advertisement
Back