Aurburn is once again saying they derserve the 83

Advertisement
Advertisement
They are not going to be retroactively awarded a championship they did not win. Nothing to see here.

F them. I'll wait to read this stuff until some day when I'm totally bored and there is nothing else more interesting for me to do...or maybe when I have insomnia. Yeah they had a good team. They were awarded No. 1 by the NYT computer. I haven't heard anybody talk about the NYT Computer in years...or if it even still exists. Maybe they threw it into some landfill on Staten Island, I don't know.

I remember the sour grapes from Pat Dye, who complained that we "campaigned" for the championship. Yeah, we did. I remember Howard being interviewed days before the game and he said how happy we were to be playing Nebraska for the "national championship." Where's Pat Dye now. I have no idea. At least I have something of an idea of what Howard has been doing all these years. If he convinced most of the nation's sportswriters and poll-voting coaches, so be it. It's over. We've been screwed out of what might have been several titles, including 2000 and 1988. It's over. We've still got five, and I'm looking forward to more. I really think that's in the cards. I'm an old guy now, and love to study and discuss history, be it UM football, politics, wars, etc., but I also like to look forward. I think we could have a very bright future at UM, I really do.

CivilSense
All Access VIP Badge
(1290)
42 months
PM UserFollow User
12 minutes ago
Back then, the NYT was "the" computer poll. Very few put stock in it at the time; so you are right AubieXIII. It was what it was.

But here's the catch:

Back then computer polls such as NYT were an afterthought because virtually no one had computers. But today everyone pays attention to computerized power rankings, etc. for the precise reason that it takes away the human element that had Nebraska branded as the best team ever--when they had simply spent a lot of weeks running up the score on weak opponents.

As an example, Nebraska beat Penn State in Week 1, 44-6. The headline was that if Nebraska could do that to PSU, they were unbeatable. Then Penn State dropped its next two before breaking in its QB and finding its way to an 8-4 season.

Point being, while I don't want to take away Miami's title, I think Auburn has some room--based on what we know of computers today--to make its own claim.

Haha...so we get to claim the '83 title because not many people used computers back then!! Makes sense.

Advertisement
**** Auburn. Ya know what as soon as they hand over the 1988, 2000, and 2002 title, then we'll talk, until then they can **** OFF

Once again Aurburn is saying that they deserve the 83 national championship

everything you need to know is right here http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-vs-Miami-Comparing-the-83-teams-28824291

224.gif

I don't care what Auburn is saying

Exactly. What's done is done.

Now f-en 2000 & 2002, that's something to talk about...lol.

I feel for them, they need something to talk about with 1 bought NC since their only one in the 50s or whatever. We could go on for days about how many we "should have" on top of 5.

UM

Advertisement
Tell them before considering this request...that they first request back the million dollars they paid FSU to take them off the schedule in the late 90's...who the **** pays to get someone OFF the schedule.......S.E.****...S.E.****...S.E.****...S.E.****

Tell them before considering this request...that they first request back the million dollars they paid FSU to take them off the schedule in the late 90's...who the **** pays to get someone OFF the schedule.......S.E.****...S.E.****...S.E.****...S.E.****

It happens. I don't recall other exact instances, but I've heard of it. It's kind of a penalty for breaking a contract to have a game. Teams like to schedule as far in advance as possible, so they have certainty in their scheduling. I think UM might have even paid a fee for breaking some game agreements, but I can't remember when. I do know we once had a very longterm contract negotiated by Sam Jankovich to play San Diego State for 20 years running. He wanted us to get more west coast exposure and SDSU was the only team I guess willing to schedule us that often. I think we backed out after we moved into the Big East, which filled the scheduling void we had as an independent in the '80's. Don't forget, a lot of teams wanted to stop playing us: UF, South Carolina, and a bit later, Notre Dame.

In the case of SEC teams, I can see why they don't want to play FSU. Most teams try to fill up their out of conference schedule with cupcakes. I don't follow FSU's schedule much, but how often do they play an SEC team outside of Florida?

By the way, one of the main reasons Sam wanted to schedule out in the west was he noticed how we suffered in the polls and in things like Outland and Heisman voting by west coast voters. I remember the breakdown in voting for some of the big awards. I think Jerome Brown lost out on the Outland or Lombardi because he lost western voters. I think one of those guys from Air Force won that year, maybe Chad Henning. I remember Sam commented publicly on that. Also, Sam was a former Pac-10 guy, from Washington State. So, this is a longwinded explanation of why teams sometimes do things you don't understand, like maybe why they schedule the way they do. Now, the U has far less flexibility--and perhaps fewer headaches--in scheduling. When we were independent, scheduling was sometimes a nightmare for our ADs.

Advertisement

It happens. I don't recall other exact instances, but I've heard of it. It's kind of a penalty for breaking a contract to have a game. Teams like to schedule as far in advance as possible, so they have certainty in their scheduling. I think UM might have even paid a fee for breaking some game agreements, but I can't remember when. I do know we once had a very longterm contract negotiated by Sam Jankovich to play San Diego State for 20 years running. He wanted us to get more west coast exposure and SDSU was the only team I guess willing to schedule us that often. I think we backed out after we moved into the Big East, which filled the scheduling void we had as an independent in the '80's. Don't forget, a lot of teams wanted to stop playing us: UF, South Carolina, and a bit later, Notre Dame.

In the case of SEC teams, I can see why they don't want to play FSU. Most teams try to fill up their out of conference schedule with cupcakes. I don't follow FSU's schedule much, but how often do they play an SEC team outside of Florida?

By the way, one of the main reasons Sam wanted to schedule out in the west was he noticed how we suffered in the polls and in things like Outland and Heisman voting by west coast voters. I remember the breakdown in voting for some of the big awards. I think Jerome Brown lost out on the Outland or Lombardi because he lost western voters. I think one of those guys from Air Force won that year, maybe Chad Henning. I remember Sam commented publicly on that. Also, Sam was a former Pac-10 guy, from Washington State. So, this is a longwinded explanation of why teams sometimes do things you don't understand, like maybe why they schedule the way they do. Now, the U has far less flexibility--and perhaps fewer headaches--in scheduling. When we were independent, scheduling was sometimes a nightmare for our ADs.

Thanks Mat...good info

I had started to pull for Auburn after they beat Alabama but then they completely failed me with Florida State and now they're pulling this garbage. So without further ado, **** them and **** their mothers.

Advertisement
Back