Off-Topic Audi v BMW - need opinions

canesbaby

Sophomore
Premium
Ok so I’m really struggling between an X3 and a Q5. Anyone have direct experience or thoughts they can share? Haven’t driven either yet but more looking for feedback on quality, any problems, etc.

Advertisement
Ok so I’m really struggling between an X3 and a Q5. Anyone have direct experience or thoughts they can share? Haven’t driven either yet but more looking for feedback on quality, any problems, etc.
My sister had X5 but traded in due to all issues she had with it

I rented an X3 a few years ago. I hated that know on the center console. The wife fell asleep and bumped it and my navigation got changed. The auto start was also noticeably slower to kick in the our Highlander. I had an Audi as an option and I wish I'd chosen it.

X3 M on lease. I like it very much. 23K miles in and no issues other than a weird computer software error re: my tire pressure that was easily sorted out. After my daughter was born, my wife wanted me in some sort of SUV and this was the compromise between "room" and sport. I'm happy with the choice.

Advertisement
Depends really, in terms of driving style, BMW gives you more feedback than an Audi. My dad had an X1 and I hated the brakes because there was absolutely no accurate telling as to how hard you needed to brake in order to slow the car down. The A6 he later had gave you no feeling of the steering wheel, felt extremely electronic and it needed some time to get used to.

Its a preference thing, so in your case, I would rent out both for a day and just drive around in it to see what makes you feel more comfortable.

As for reliability, I always consider reliability to be a random thing. Both manufacturers are known for quality cars in that aspect, but every car can have some bad luck thrown its way.

I've owned both BMW and Audi cars for the last 12 years and not the SUV's like you are looking at purchasing, so I can't say good or bad for those. But, each manufacturer, BMW or Audi, has their pros and cons like most everything else. I personally prefer Audi as I find it's a better overall driving experience and what seems to be a slightly better overall vehicle. Neither BMW or Audi has given me any real problems and have been highly reliable (thankfully). Like has already been mentioned in above posts a big thing to keep in mind for BMW and Audi is that they BOTH require a considerable amount of maintenance and upkeep that can be on the pricey side.

I would take @Bender 's suggestion and try to rent each one for a couple days so you can get a feel for the vehicle in terms of driving, comfort, infotainment systems, etc...

I don't know where you live, but I currently own an S4 and live/work in Germany and I can tell you that it is 100% worth it here with the autobahn and driving in the Alps.

Best of luck in deciding!

I have little experience with either but my British friend James B. was an Aston Martin guy until he switched to BMW. I always thought it was a mistake.

Driving Road Trip GIF by James Bond 007

Advertisement
I've owned both BMW and Audi cars for the last 12 years and not the SUV's like you are looking at purchasing, so I can't say good or bad for those. But, each manufacturer, BMW or Audi, has their pros and cons like most everything else. I personally prefer Audi as I find it's a better overall driving experience and what seems to be a slightly better overall vehicle. Neither BMW or Audi has given me any real problems and have been highly reliable (thankfully). Like has already been mentioned in above posts a big thing to keep in mind for BMW and Audi is that they BOTH require a considerable amount of maintenance and upkeep that can be on the pricey side.

I would take @Bender 's suggestion and try to rent each one for a couple days so you can get a feel for the vehicle in terms of driving, comfort, infotainment systems, etc...

I don't know where you live, but I currently own an S4 and live/work in Germany and I can tell you that it is 100% worth it here with the autobahn and driving in the Alps.

Best of luck in deciding!
S4 is a serious automobile.

Jah jah!!

S4 is a serious automobile.

Jah jah!!
Its as serious as one, me, is willing to pay. I have friends and co-workers who have M5's, R8's, and the like. Now those are some serious automobiles. Also, I don't know your experience with Germany and/or the autobahn, but the turbo diesel station wagons are not to be played with. Momma needs to get to the store and get home and she will humble you in heartbeat if you think you got a car with balls. LOL

I agree with the rental suggestion. I like a new car every couple of years, so I go to swapalease or leasetrader and assume an attractive lease.

Car opinions are like a$$holes, but out of all the cars I have driven, my favorite is Tesla.

I agree with the rental suggestion. I like a new car every couple of years, so I go to swapalease or leasetrader and assume an attractive lease.

Car opinions are like a$$holes, but out of all the cars I have driven, my favorite is Tesla.
Just out of curiosity, what makes Tesla your favorite? And, do you have any experience with any other EV's like the Mustang EV, F150 EV, or any other EV manufacturers? I don't have any experience with EV's to have an opinion so I'm just trying to see why people choose one over another or I guess choose to have an EV.

Advertisement
Its as serious as one, me, is willing to pay. I have friends and co-workers who have M5's, R8's, and the like. Now those are some serious automobiles. Also, I don't know your experience with Germany and/or the autobahn, but the turbo diesel station wagons are not to be played with. Momma needs to get to the store and get home and she will humble you in heartbeat if you think you got a car with balls. LOL
I have hundreds of hours on ze Autobahn.

Best, and safest, driving in the world bar none.

Pegged the speedometer at 177mph in friend's M5. He marked 182*.

We then decided to maybe reconsider our stupidity that fine day in July...

*his autohaus modified rev limiter of course...

Just out of curiosity, what makes Tesla your favorite? And, do you have any experience with any other EV's like the Mustang EV, F150 EV, or any other EV manufacturers? I don't have any experience with EV's to have an opinion so I'm just trying to see why people choose one over another or I guess choose to have an EV.

On my 4th now, love them all. The plusses for me, in no particular order:

Love the pick up of an EV, and never going to a gas station.
The big screen in the middle is awesome, and the technology works well, voice commands for example, and the cruise control is excellent.
Almost never have to go for maintenance, most "repairs" are done over air.
For trips, Teslas have a longer range than most any EV, and their supercharger network is unparalleled.

I have hundreds of hours on ze Autobahn.

Best, and safest, driving in the world bar none.

Pegged the speedometer at 177mph in friend's M5. He marked 182*.

We then decided to maybe reconsider our stupidity that fine day in July...

*his autohaus modified rev limiter of course...
Nice! It is by far the safest driving I've seen in the world bar none like you say. That includes the regular driving in and around Germany. And, I've had the luck to drive across the world in places such as South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, the US, Canada, the UK, and others around Europe.

For example one day I was driving on the autobahn with my 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo (she was a beast) in I guess it was 2010, before I got my BMW, I got flashed by a vehicle at least a 1/4 mile behind me. And as I'm sure you know that means get the F*** over because I'm coming. LOL. Long story short the car that flashed me was a Bugati Veyron. I was doing 115mph if I remember correctly and we were between
Wiesbaden and Frankfurt. This dude came up and by so fast that when they passed me at the speed of light, the vacuum that it created pulled my car across the dotted line and slightly into the left lane. It was slightly terrifying. LOL

One thing I will say is, each and almost every accident I've seen on the autobahn has been catastrophic. Germans are for the most part great drivers due to their adherence to strict drivers training and other factors. But, when things go bad on the autobahn they go go bad quick and in a hurry. The speeds at which a lot of the accidents happen seem to lead to deaths in many of the accidents that do occur from what I've seen.

The fastest I've personally gone is 145mph in a BMW Z4. Funny story, that BMW that I topped out at that speed was a Z4 loaner that was given to me by the BMW dealership while I waited for my car to be delivered to specs from the BMW factory in Bavaria. Possibly the most fun car I've had the privilege of driving. My friends still don't believe me that me and my friend that were driving driving the Z4 that day could actually watch the gas gauge move in real time. LOL

You seem to have experience and time on the autobahn. Are you a veteran that was stationed here?

Advertisement
Nice! It is by far the safest driving I've seen in the world bar none like you say. That includes the regular driving in and around Germany. And, I've had the luck to drive across the world in places such as South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, the US, Canada, the UK, and others around Europe.

For example one day I was driving on the autobahn with my 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo (she was a beast) in I guess it was 2010, before I got my BMW, I got flashed by a vehicle at least a 1/4 mile behind me. And as I'm sure you know that means get the F*** over because I'm coming. LOL. Long story short the car that flashed me was a Bugati Veyron. I was doing 115mph if I remember correctly and we were between
Wiesbaden and Frankfurt. This dude came up and by so fast that when they passed me at the speed of light, the vacuum that it created pulled my car across the dotted line and slightly into the left lane. It was slightly terrifying. LOL

One thing I will say is, each and almost every accident I've seen on the autobahn has been catastrophic. Germans are for the most part great drivers due to their adherence to strict drivers training and other factors. But, when things go bad on the autobahn they go go bad quick and in a hurry. The speeds at which a lot of the accidents happen seem to lead to deaths in many of the accidents that do occur from what I've seen.

The fastest I've personally gone is 145mph in a BMW Z4. Funny story, that BMW that I topped out at that speed was a Z4 loaner that was given to me by the BMW dealership while I waited for my car to be delivered to specs from the BMW factory in Bavaria. Possibly the most fun car I've had the privilege of driving. My friends still don't believe me that me and my friend that were driving driving the Z4 that day could actually watch the gas gauge move in real time. LOL

You seem to have experience and time on the autobahn. Are you a veteran that was stationed here?
One of my first moments on ze Autobahn, I'm cruising in my hooptie BMW 5xx (dime a dozrn there) in the left lane around 100mph.

I get flashed from behind and passed like I was standing still by an even hooptier 80s Volvo station wagon (they are boxy but safe!!).

Hanzel and Gretel had to have been hitting 130 on the speedo.

Jah jah!!

When I first met Ms Empirical she had a BMW 3xx and traded it in for Z4 (the Bond version). Cool little car amd very fun to drive.

Yes, spent many years in K-Town with stops in Baumholder, Weisbaden, G-K, and Heidelberg. Headed back for a quick trip this coming Summer...can't wait.

Some of the best years of my life, can't believe I got paid to do it.

PS I have a VERY unhealthy weakness for German "red" hair...you would certainly know what I speak of...naughty little fraus

Last edited:
On my 4th now, love them all. The plusses for me, in no particular order:

Love the pick up of an EV, and never going to a gas station.
The big screen in the middle is awesome, and the technology works well, voice commands for example, and the cruise control is excellent.
Almost never have to go for maintenance, most "repairs" are done over air.
For trips, Teslas have a longer range than most any EV, and their supercharger network is unparalleled.
That's cool. So, when you go on road trips or longer trips, do you have to kinda plan around where charging stations are? I lived in MD previously and would drive home to the Pittsburgh area regularly and there weren't many EV charging stations.
One of my first moments on ze Autobahn, I'm cruising in my hooptie BMW 5xx (dime a dozrn there) in the left lane around 100mph.

I get flashed from behind and passed like I was standing still by an even hooptier 80s Volvo station wagon (they are boxy but safe!!).

Hanzel and Gretel had to have been hitting 130 on the speedo.

Jah jah!!

When I first met Ms Empirical she had a BMW 3xx and traded it in for Z4 (the Bond version). Cool little car amd very fun to drive.

Yes, spent many years in K-Town with stops in Baumholder, Weisbaden, G-K, and Heidelberg. Headed back for a quick trip this coming Summer...can't wait.

Some of the best years of my life, can't believe I got paid to do it.

PS I have a VERY unhealthy weakness for German "red" hair...you would certainly know what I speak of...naughty little fraus
I know you don't know me from Adam, but if you do make it over here this summer feel free to hit me up if time permits. Its always nice to meet up with Canes fans whenever possible. I'm sure we could find some good bars to have some amazing German beers (second only to the beer from Belgium).

@CaneInMD

There are actually a lot of Superchargers, but instead of stopping for 5-10 minutes for gas, it takes at least 20-30 minutes, often more to supercharge.

So I do take my Tesla on shorter road trips, say to Jax or Key West from south Florida. When I go to the NC mountains for the summer though, I take a BMW, which I do like, but not as much as my Tesla.

And danke for the invitation, my wife has a close friend from Munchen who has dual citizenship and happens to be here now, so I have been practicing a bissel Deutch.

One more point about swapalease and leasetrader. Even if you want a new car, the site gives you a sense of what the monthly payments are for similar cars.

Advertisement
Back