Athlon ranks canes #14.

Midlo Cane Fan

No more Midlo

1624326395976.png

Advertisement
I'm no longer worried about the offense. The OL isn't BCS level, but it's vastly improved. And while we lost Bevin, we got everyone else back in the backfield and brought in Rambo. We'll score points.

It's all about the D. Can Manny find some LBs who can play? Can he replace Phillips? Can he get the Mack Monkey off his Back?

We are good enough to be 10+ wins in the regular season. And we should end the season stronger than we started it with all the talent in the 2021 class. Time to show we're finally back.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm no longer worried about the offense. The OL isn't BCS level, but it's vastly improved. And while we lost Bevin, we got everyone else back in the backfield and brought in Rambo. We'll score points.

It's all about the D. Can Manny find some LBs who can play? Can he replace Phillips? Can he get the Mack Monkey off his Back?

We are good enough to be 10+ wins in the regular season. And we should end the season stronger than we started it with all the talent in the 2021 class. Time to show we're finally back.

I'm worried about the offense. The last 4-5 winners have all had an offense ranked in the top 15. If our defense plays like it did last year, we're looking at a 10-3 record. If we want to be "back", we need our offense to be good enough to put up 4+ touchdowns on Alabama..

I'm worried about the offense. The last 4-5 winners have all had an offense ranked in the top 15. If our defense plays like it did last year, we're looking at a 10-3 record. If we want to be "back", we need our offense to be good enough to put up 4+ touchdowns on Alabama..
Yeah we need to see more consistency out of our offense. We left way too many points on the board last season.

I always loved being last an underdog this is when your exalted in battle .

Being highly rank don’t care at all , let’s suit up and decide on the field and lay waste , always be humble as you wipe the blood of your brows never ever talk about your victims only look to feed again.

Ray Lewis “ Rohan scares me on game day “

This is how we did it

GOCANES

Advertisement

Not disagreeing, just saying that prior history suggests we *should* be able to field a competent defense with Manny running it. He ran it for 3 years here, and all 3 defenses were above average. In Year 1, he had NFL talent on the back end, but the front 7 was pretty young. We know about the 3 freshmen backers, but Joe Jackson led the team in sacks as a freshman. Junior Chad Thomas was 2nd in TFLs, but RJ McIntosh and Kendrick Norton were 4th and 5th as sophomores. Again, good players. Some NFL talent. Chad is still in the league, I think Joe Jack is. But none of these kids are All-Pros at the next level. Rayshawn Jenkins and Jamal Carter on the back end, Corn Elder at DB as well. A little higher end NFL talent probably. But don’t we think the kids here now should be just as good? That defense, with all the youth in a first-year scheme, was 14th in YPP allowed and 13th in PPG allowed.

The next year, the backers are a year older, but we lose the secondary. In comes Quan, Redwine, Mike Jack, Malek Young. Up front we’re a little older, Trent Harris leads the team in sacks. But again, no insane NFL talents here. We had a good number of NFL kids, which of course should lead to productive defenses, but do we think the defensive talent on those teams is certainly better than this year? We finish 2017 at 8th in YPP allowed and 29th in PPG allowed.

My point is, there are certainly questions on that side. Especially on the edge and at backer. But Manny’s defenses have been good here. No matter who was playing in them and no matter how much NFL talent was here. Some pieces need to fall in place on the front 7 but I’m certainly not going to be surprised to see Manny Diaz provide a good or better defense. He’s proven it can be done here without high-end, elite NFL talent. A Manny 2016-2018 defense paired with a Lashlee offense from 2020 taking another step forward in 2021 and throw Hedley and Borregales into the mix.....I think 14th is definitely a justified pre-season expectation. NO REASON to lose more than 2 games this year.

That 2017 team was pretty good. Wish Kaaya had stayed. We'd still have lost to Clemson. But we could have beaten Pitt to make the BCS, or at least beaten Wisky.
2017 was a Cinderella season. We weren’t as good as the record and got lucky. Brad would’ve gotten killed again with that OL. Rosier won a couple of those games with his legs that season. I would call it a toss it up that season. The refs cost UM Wisky and Pitt. The amount of holding calls not flagged was ridiculous in those games. Even the announcers were calling them out. Maybe if we had King at QB we pulled those out.

Advertisement
2017 was a Cinderella season. We weren’t as good as the record and got lucky. Brad would’ve gotten killed again with that OL. Rosier won a couple of those games with his legs that season. I would call it a toss it up that season. The refs cost UM Wisky and Pitt. The amount of holding calls not flagged was ridiculous in those games. Even the announcers were calling them out. Maybe if we had King at QB we pulled those out.

You can't say the refs cost UM games against Wisky and Pitt...then also say we weren't as good as our record. We didn't get lucky, we just made more plays than the other teams. This was one of the years where we counted how many weeks we were going without a holding penalty called against opposing teams like you mentioned...but that was throughout the whole season, not just Pitt and Wisky.

You can't say the refs cost UM games against Wisky and Pitt...then also say we weren't as good as our record. We didn't get lucky, we just made more plays than the other teams. This was one of the years where we counted how many weeks we were going without a holding penalty called against opposing teams like you mentioned...but that was throughout the whole season, not just Pitt and Wisky.
What are you talking about? It was awful against Pitt and Whisky. The no call PI against Whisky gave them a TD and changed the entire momentum of the game. CMR was ready to rush the field himself if you don’t recall. The Miami DLs we’re being blatantly held so bad every play the announcers were coming out saying it.

Miami just needs to win games and everything else will fall into place. Revenging the North Carolina loss from last year wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Miami hasn't won more than 10 games since 2003.

Hoping for a breakthrough this year, but 11-1 seems a stretch for this highly inconsistent program.

Alabama, Michigan State, at North Carolina (where Miami is 3-5 since 2004), at Florida State, Virginia Tech, North Carolina State and Virginia?

Most likely will lose to Crimson Tide and have a hard time believing the Canes win out—especially with Manny's trend of late season collapses—0-3 to end 2019 and 0-2 in 2020.

We'll see.

Advertisement
Back