Athletic Article on Developing Talent (Miami Related)

Shogungts

Junior
Premium
The Athletic ran and interesting article this morning on which schools 'develop' talent best over the last 11 years. They did this by looking at how many 3 star, 4 star, and 5 star recruits each school got and then how many of each of those levels were drafted. Now obviously there are some other considerations that should be taken into account (ex: they don't weigh the 1st overall pick any more than the last pick in the draft), but I still found this pretty interesting:

1681922930244.png

1681922960619.png

1681922744008.png

As mentioned above, I think there is some missing considerations that would be really hard to quantify, but it still surprised me that Miami was ranked so high when they get 4 and 5 star recruits.

Full article here: https://theathletic.com/4412195/202...uiting/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

Attachments

• 1681922612925.png
    1681922612925.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 1681922647781.png
    1681922647781.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Advertisement
I wonder how they count guys who transferred like Rambo, JA, and Gus Edwards. Do they count for Oklahoma, UCLA, and Miami or just they schools they were at before going to the league?

Anyways, very interesting article thanks for sharing!

I wonder how they count guys who transferred like Rambo, JA, and Gus Edwards. Do they count for Oklahoma, UCLA, and Miami or just they schools they were at before going to the league?

nevermind they clarify in the article the school only gets credit if the player went from their school to the nfl.

They don't specifically say how they handle transfers, but they say a few things like this which makes me think that they count a kid that transfers out as a miss:

Texas A&M excelled at developing five-stars despite some high-profile misses. Kyler Murray transferred from Texas A&M to Oklahoma after a tumultuous freshman season and won the Heisman Trophy before the Arizona Cardinals selected him first overall in 2019.

And I don't think they include players that that transfer into a school in that school's ranking.

Advertisement
Since this is behind a paywall, can anyone inform me of what year they are starting with?

Advertisement
Advertisement
The Athletic ran and interesting article this morning on which schools 'develop' talent best over the last 11 years. They did this by looking at how many 3 star, 4 star, and 5 star recruits each school got and then how many of each of those levels were drafted. Now obviously there are some other considerations that should be taken into account (ex: they don't weigh the 1st overall pick any more than the last pick in the draft), but I still found this pretty interesting:

View attachment 236039
View attachment 236040

View attachment 236038
As mentioned above, I think there is some missing considerations that would be really hard to quantify, but it still surprised me that Miami was ranked so high when they get 4 and 5 star recruits.

Full article here: https://theathletic.com/4412195/202...uiting/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983
They should put the percentage of wins from each team during that 11 year window next to the draft percent

Kinda pointless... Getting drafted means very little. So what we. had 5 of 7 get drafted when most of them were late late round picks.

Kinda pointless... Getting drafted means very little. So what we. had 5 of 7 get drafted when most of them were late late round picks.

I agree that just "getting drafted" doesn't mean a ton, but conversely the "not getting drafted" stat when you are a 5 or 4 star is sure interesting.

Getting drafted could mean overall #1 boon to somewhat disappointing late round pick. A 5 or 4 star not getting drafted at all is a complete abject failure to develop. Wow @ Texas.

Advertisement
I agree that just "getting drafted" doesn't mean a ton, but conversely the "not getting drafted" stat when you are a 5 or 4 star is sure interesting.

Getting drafted could mean overall #1 boon to somewhat disappointing late round pick. A 5 or 4 star not getting drafted at all is a complete abject failure to develop. Wow @ Texas.
It does but we both know that this is a surface level at best analysis they did and for all intents and purposes worthless. Especially since connected posters have been scream fire on the mountain about evals and development. We know better than what this analysis shows.

It does but we both know that this is a surface level at best analysis they did and for all intents and purposes worthless.

Agree but what I mentioned is actually a worthwhile takeaway IMO. It's interesting data. If you are recruiting 5 and 4 stars regularly, a large data set like with Texas and Nebraska, and they are failing to get drafted at all, that's pretty telling. Either you can't evaluate or you can't develop or both. I'd use the **** out of it on the trial lol.

Agree but what I mentioned is actually a worthwhile takeaway IMO. It's interesting data. If you are recruiting 5 and 4 stars regularly, a large data set like with Texas and Nebraska, and they are failing to get drafted at all, that's pretty telling. Either you can't evaluate or you can't develop or both. I'd use the **** out of it on the trial lol.
That is a good point. My off the cuff reaction to that is Texas puts out a ton of finished products out on the HS level that in general have been overrated in the past. Kids that were maxed out. A bunch of them went to UT. Only 4 of 17 is pretty **** abysmal.

I would be interested to see how this breaks down by position. I suspect that there would be a wide disparity in bust rate between different kinds of players.

And as an aside, I hate seeing FSU at 27-7 advantage over us in 5-stars. Man we have been lost in the wilderness.

Advertisement
Back