ATH Gary Simon, St. Pete Gibbs (FL)

Larry

All-American
I recall reading he's got an offer from us and we were in his Top 5. Anyone got some info as to if we're in the mix at all?

Given Simon's ideal set of measurables and impressive ball skills he may be a guy that ends up on defense as a cornerback, but has equal production on offense as a wide receiver. He is tall, long and wiry. He runs well, deceptively quick and displays some acceleration qualities that we like. Offensively, he is ultra-competitive in jump ball and contested match-ups and he has very good speed and adequate explosiveness for his size. He can play inside or outside and is just as effective versus man coverage as he is zone. He is pretty smooth and fluid, can accelerate and build momentum quickly. Displays outstanding hands and ball skills. Can consistently catch over his head, high points the ball well and we see this on defense too. Strong hands to pluck in traffic. Can snatch the ball on the run with very little wasted motion. Extends well outside his frame and has very long arms. Defensively, you love his size and range to be a guy that can get in the face of WRs and press them and re-route at the line. Can get high in the pedal which is concerning, but shows fairly smooth hips and the ability to transition. He can match-up with taller receivers in the redzone and he competes for the football. Can plant and drive when playing off and you like his willingness and toughness to insert in run support. Could also become a possible safety candidate. Simon is raw in his methods and technique, but he has talent, size, runs adequately well and shows elusiveness and quick feet in his change-of-direction. We like him as an overall athlete and feel his stock will rise as a senior.

*** kid. Plays basketball. Plays in the same area as Rayshawn Jenkins and Nelson Agholor.

Saw his junior film...definitely a + athlete. Just looks really raw.

Advertisement
Yeah, SF, wasn't seeing anything recent, article wise from him...had some stuff from earlier in the year...I recall him having a Miami offer...was seeing if anyone had any new info.

I've been a big fan of his for a minute. I think he has elite potential as a CB and he is flying under the radar in terms of hype from recruiting services. Supposedly, that was due to grade issues which have been or are being resolved. Obviously he has some nice offers.

I really hope the coaches are actively pursuing him. It won't sting nearly as much for me to not get Howard or Bush if the Canes can land Simon. I like Simon over Bush.

Advertisement
I recall Mike saying this kid is very good, but grades are a mess and he won't be getting in anywhere. JUCO.

hes a kid imo that is WORTH a sign and place.....plus size cb/s with athleticism who loves us.

Advertisement
I recall Mike saying this kid is very good, but grades are a mess and he won't be getting in anywhere. JUCO.

Geez. Do kids even go to class/pay attention at all? High School is not that tough. Many kids come from broken homes, poor neighborhoods/schools and manage to work hard and do well for themselves.

You mean to tell me Northwestern, Killian, Booker T, (enter below standard academic institution here) don't have a valedictorian or a top academic clubs? Those kids come from the same streets how come they can pass their courses/ACT and these athletes can't/won't?

Advertisement
Back