Assistant Coaching Change: Pooh Williamson has taken his talents to Oklahoma.

Da_Lucky_One

All ACC

I hope they bring in a coach with ties to recruiting in Florida, particularly South Florida. Doral Academy head coach Jorge Fernandez immediately comes to mind but someone with a connection to the following travel basketball teams: NightRydas, Team Breakdown, Game Elite or E1T1 would not be bad either.

Advertisement

I hope they bring in a coach with ties to recruiting in Florida, particularly South Florida. Doral Academy head coach Jorge Fernandez immediately comes to mind but someone with a connection to the following travel basketball teams: NightRydas, Team Breakdown, Game Elite or E1T1 would not be bad either.

Agree!

Advertisement
It will be shocking if Coach L doesnt hire a black coach to replace him with no other asst coaches being black and most players are,

Advertisement

Wasn't Fernandez swept up in the Nevin Shapiro mess?
I doubt he would be allowed for even an interview.

Advertisement
Wasn't Fernandez swept up in the Nevin Shapiro mess?
I doubt he would be allowed for even an interview.

Fernandez was investigated and punished by the NCAA for redeeming his personal airline reward miles for three plane tickets — two in August 2010 for player Durand Scott and his high school coach, and one in August 2011 for the mother of player Reggie Johnson. The New York-Miami tickets for Scott and his coach were valued at $955 each, and the Greeensboro-Miami ticket for Johnson’s mother was worth $483. Scott received a six-game suspension for the impermissible benefit, and Johnson was suspended one game.

The tickets had nothing to do with Nevin Shapiro, but were discovered by the NCAA in the course of the investigation because the athletic department’s phone and e-mail records were audited and the airline confirmations went to Fernandez’s UM e-mail address.

Perception is not always reality. These are the facts. Don't believe the hype.

Fernandez was investigated and punished by the NCAA for redeeming his personal airline reward miles for three plane tickets — two in August 2010 for player Durand Scott and his high school coach, and one in August 2011 for the mother of player Reggie Johnson. The New York-Miami tickets for Scott and his coach were valued at $955 each, and the Greeensboro-Miami ticket for Johnson’s mother was worth $483. Scott received a six-game suspension for the impermissible benefit, and Johnson was suspended one game.

The tickets had nothing to do with Nevin Shapiro, but were discovered by the NCAA in the course of the investigation because the athletic department’s phone and e-mail records were audited and the airline confirmations went to Fernandez’s UM e-mail address.

Perception is not always reality. These are the facts. Don't believe the hype.

I am not following.
You mentioned Fernandez as a potential candidate for Larranaga's staff.
I asked if he wasn't one of the coaches involved with the Shaprio fiasco.
You replied with an account of what he did to essentially land himself in not water with the NCAA but that perception "is not always reality".
In what reality do you live in believing UM would hire an assistant with a show-cause?

I am not following.
You mentioned Fernandez as a potential candidate for Larranaga's staff.
I asked if he wasn't one of the coaches involved with the Shaprio fiasco.
You replied with an account of what he did to essentially land himself in not water with the NCAA but that perception "is not always reality".
In what reality do you live in believing UM would hire an assistant with a show-cause?

Let me clarify. First, Fernandez was not part of the Nevin Shapiro case. While Miami was under investigation for the Nevin Shapiro case, it was found that Fernandez used his own personal frequent flyer miles for the parents of two players on the basketball team. The NCAA felt Fernandez was not forthcoming about the situation and punished him.

That is not a major NCAA violation nor did it have anything directly dealing with Nevin Shapiro. Fernandez is eligible to return to coaching on the NCAA level. HIs punishment was unnecessary, typical of the NCAA and their double standards.

Advertisement
Let me clarify. First, Fernandez was not part of the Nevin Shapiro case. While Miami was under investigation for the Nevin Shapiro case, it was found that Fernandez used his own personal frequent flyer miles for the parents of two players on the basketball team. The NCAA felt Fernandez was not forthcoming about the situation and punished him.

That is not a major NCAA violation nor did it have anything directly dealing with Nevin Shapiro. Fernandez is eligible to return to coaching on the NCAA level. HIs punishment was unnecessary, typical of the NCAA and their double standards.

But he won't work at UM, which was my comment in response to your point.

Lotta connections in the DC area as a HS head coach and Asst at George Mason, UVA assistant, Va Tech asst, head coach at Cornell. Very good resume for an Assistant. Should be an experienced x's and o's addition. But ... can he recruit?

It will be shocking if Coach L doesnt hire a black coach to replace him with no other asst coaches being black and most players are,

Yep, because the players give a **** about that crap. If you are making hires based on that, you will end up fired. L will hire the best coach he can find, within the price range he can offer.

Advertisement
Back