Assistant Coach Salary Arms Race

Even if Duke WANTED to spend money out of their endowment for football, odds are they wouldn't be able to. People forget that an overwhelming majority of funds given by donors to any University are earmarked for a particular purpose. In other words, when I write my check for UMiami Law or the College of Arts and Sciences, those funds HAVE to go to those entities. The school cannot take that money and spend as it sees fit. Not only would it be unethical, it would also have legal ramifications. When people check a box on their donation sheet, it's considered a contract between the school and donor.

Lol. Where did I mention taking money out of the endowment? I understand how these donations are made. My point is if Duke decided they wanted to start spending to start outspending Bama, UGA, etc. in football coaches they would not have the issue. Do you realize how quickly they are able to raise money? Do you realize how much money their sports boosters donate every year? If UNC started to get into an arms race of coaches. Duke would come up with enough money to compete with them in weeks.

Advertisement
Naw, it was just a lazy hire by richt when he could have upgraded the staff. Seriously doubt it had anything to do with money

how can you seriously complain about the defensive staff assembled by Richt regardless if on a low budget or not?

Make no mistake, this is wholly unsustainable except for a few deep pocketed teams (Bama, UT, OSU, etc).

Hint: Miami and most others aren't members of that club.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...otball-assistant-coaches-salaries/2206867002/

Now, money doesn't guarantee performance, but it does give those "unlimited budget" programs certain measurable advantages.

If a salary cap/luxury tax isn't placed on D1P5 programs, my guess you will see a further split into a few "super league" teams and the TCUs, Miami, USC, UCLAs, Duke, etc...occupy a Tier 1a type of status.

A formal split of P5 into 2 or more groups would disinterest cfb fanbases. Would be terrible for business. I agree that this boom in pay cannot last & will regress to the mean but that’s largely dependent on tv $

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you say Marx.

Yes, it works exactly as you describe above.

Let's go "Occupy NCAA".

View attachment 70867

You can hate it, but it’s true.

If we didn’t have antitrust laws, there would be only one oil company, one company that makes cars, one telephone provider, etc.

You have to enshrine parity and fair competition in to law, or it never happens.

Before marriage was put in to religious and other laws, the king or cheif would **** thousands of women, and nobody else got laid. Half of the people in asia have one common ancestor....a badass warlord.

That’s the natural way.

Right now, Alabama is ******* and everyone else is standing around with their ****s in hand. They get all the 5-star recruits, they get all the best coaches. That won’t magically just change by itself.

Not until the king (Saban) either dies or retires, or until the other programs rise up and demand some rules that guarantee more fairness.

Advertisement
You can hate it, but it’s true.

If we didn’t have antitrust laws, there would be only one oil company, one company that makes cars, one telephone provider, etc.

You have to enshrine parity and fair competition in to law, or it never happens.

Before marriage was put in to religious and other laws, the king or cheif would **** thousands of women, and nobody else got laid. Half of the people in asia have one common ancestor....a badass warlord.

That’s the natural way.

Right now, Alabama is ******* and everyone else is standing around with their ****s in hand. They get all the 5-star recruits, they get all the best coaches. That won’t magically just change by itself.

Not until the king (Saban) either dies or retires, or until the other programs rise up and demand some rules that guarantee more fairness.

That is a very interesting world view you have.

I disagree with almost all your points, but who is to say my view is better than yours?

Keep on keeping on!

The only thing that can keep us in the mix is our recruiting grounds paired with some good coaching.

Truth be told, we would be better served by trying to become a basketball powerhouse. That is where funds and focus should go as it's easier to attain.

Recently read that tv ratings for sports have fallen significantly in recent years, and as a result the huge TV contracts the leagues have been feasting on won’t be renewed at the same crazy dollar amounts.

Upshot being that those coaching salaries won’t be sustainable.

Advertisement
Back