Assistant Coach Salary Arms Race

Tax money from state sponsored universities that are committed to football as a top priority. Notre Dames with their massive endowments and contributions the only exception.

The problem is that the money isn't coming from the state for most of these factories. It's coming from booster donations and outside revenue. It's amazing that people think that schools are coming out of their overall endowments to fund athletics. The only major contribution the school makes is from student athletic fees, and even that is a pittance to the money that comes in from donors, TV deals, etc.

Notre Dame, due to their position as THE major catholic university has a donor pool that gives them a fighting chance. The problem with Miami is that there's isn't a T. Boone Pickens coming out of left field, nor is the donor pool large enough(Nor engaged enough) to make up that lack of a major donor in the aggregate. The "Fanbase" has shown that they won't donate, even when times are good, so the school is in a tough spot. That said, Miami should still be better than 7-5 this year, and that's on Richt. Take the money you do have, and go find some guys. It's not going to be as easy as what USC did, but it's workable. Miami can't spend like the New York Yankees, but there's a way to get the most out of what you are paying.

Advertisement
Duke could literally buy Alabama, UGA, and OSU without breaking the bank. USC is also up there. If Duke decided they wanted to go all in on football money would not be the issue.

That said I agree with your main point.

No well run school is going to dip into their endowment to fund athletics. If the donors aren't going to step up, then it's not going to happen. Look at Stanford as an example of that. Stanford has big time money pouring into the academic side, and has also found some former letter winners to fund their huge athletic department. Due to their high academic standards(Which affects what the Cardinal can do in the major revenue sports), their typical student athlete is better situated for success. Those people then go out and achieve massive success, something that you don't find at a typical athletic centric school. They then write checks to the department. Their checks dwarf what a school like Miami can get, Google and Amazon money beats NFL money any day.

With all the recruiting issues that occurred in Baylor do you guys really think that UM would hire Briles? I would love to bring him onboard. I also know that he is on the Vols wish list as well.

No, **** no. Briles(and his son) should be in prison for what they did. To go out and take guys you were told were outright rapists, and not only give them a second chance, but then cover for them when they inevitably blew it is unacceptable. No school worth a **** will take someone like that. This is where you see the divide between the "Fanbase", people that only care about some wins on Saturday, and those with some perspective. There are TONS of people out there that can do what Briles does, that aren't bringing that kind of baggage.

The pay for assistant coaches is just the beginning. How many "quality control" assistants do Bama and UGA have?

No well run school is going to dip into their endowment to fund athletics. If the donors aren't going to step up, then it's not going to happen. Look at Stanford as an example of that. Stanford has big time money pouring into the academic side, and has also found some former letter winners to fund their huge athletic department. Due to their high academic standards(Which affects what the Cardinal can do in the major revenue sports), their typical student athlete is better situated for success. Those people then go out and achieve massive success, something that you don't find at a typical athletic centric school. They then write checks to the department. Their checks dwarf what a school like Miami can get, Google and Amazon money beats NFL money any day.

For sure. That is what I am getting at. My point was IF DUKE WANTED TO. Not Duke will. Not having enough money is not the reason Dukes football team is trash.

Advertisement
For perspective...

Miami offering ANY assistant coach $1MM places them 22nd for pay.

22nd.

To be an ASSISTANT COACH.

The math is going to self-correct one day.

Why would it ever self-correct? I see no reason to believe that other than wishful thinking

The problem is that the money isn't coming from the state for most of these factories. It's coming from booster donations and outside revenue. It's amazing that people think that schools are coming out of their overall endowments to fund athletics. The only major contribution the school makes is from student athletic fees, and even that is a pittance to the money that comes in from donors, TV deals, etc.

Notre Dame, due to their position as THE major catholic university has a donor pool that gives them a fighting chance. The problem with Miami is that there's isn't a T. Boone Pickens coming out of left field, nor is the donor pool large enough(Nor engaged enough) to make up that lack of a major donor in the aggregate. The "Fanbase" has shown that they won't donate, even when times are good, so the school is in a tough spot. That said, Miami should still be better than 7-5 this year, and that's on Richt. Take the money you do have, and go find some guys. It's not going to be as easy as what USC did, but it's workable. Miami can't spend like the New York Yankees, but there's a way to get the most out of what you are paying.

You do realize those student athletic fees are massive right? Clemson raised there’s to almost $400 a student to help with their upgrades. They bring on over $8 million from that alone. It’s way more than just chump change. It’s guaranteed and you don’t even have to ask

No, **** no. Briles(and his son) should be in prison for what they did. To go out and take guys you were told were outright rapists, and not only give them a second chance, but then cover for them when they inevitably blew it is unacceptable. No school worth a **** will take someone like that. This is where you see the divide between the "Fanbase", people that only care about some wins on Saturday, and those with some perspective. There are TONS of people out there that can do what Briles does, that aren't bringing that kind of baggage.

We have three choices.

1.). Go spend two million dollars each on assistant coaches. Win.

2.) Hire elite guys with some baggage/character issues. Spend far less money. Win.

3.) Keep doing what we’re doing. Be mediocre.

Advertisement
We have three choices.

1.). Go spend two million dollars each on assistant coaches. Win.

2.) Hire elite guys with some baggage/character issues. Spend far less money. Win.

3.) Keep doing what we’re doing. Be mediocre.

Or the 4th, and REALISTIC option: Go out and find the best coaches you can within the current budgetary restrictions. You don't have to spend 1 million+ to find an offensive play caller that is an upgrade over Richt. You don't have to spend a ton of money to find better assistants than J. Richt and Searels. Now, it would require taking a chance on some younger guys that don't have the background that would wow the fanbase, but that's the way you have to go. Find the offensive version of Manny Diaz: A guy that wasn't in high demand, but saw potential in Miami.

You do realize those student athletic fees are massive right? Clemson raised there’s to almost $400 a student to help with their upgrades. They bring on over $8 million from that alone. It’s way more than just chump change. It’s guaranteed and you don’t even have to ask

Clemson brought in over 112 million dollars last year in athletic department revenue. That 8 million in student fees is around 7% of their total revenue. It's peanuts, compared to the money that is in apparel, ticket sales, television revenue, and most important, donors.

Ironically enough, it's not the huge state factories that depend on student fees to keep the athletic department afloat, it's the small mid majors that do. Which is even more proof that many schools shouldn't be bothering with this nonsense. It's stupid to ask kids that are going into debt to pay for something that will have little long term benefit for them, or the school itself. One can love college athletics, and realize that it's a business, and the best solution for some institutions is to not participate. Especially in this climate, where richest program wins, period.

Or the 4th, and REALISTIC option: Go out and find the best coaches you can within the current budgetary restrictions. You don't have to spend 1 million+ to find an offensive play caller that is an upgrade over Richt. You don't have to spend a ton of money to find better assistants than J. Richt and Searels. Now, it would require taking a chance on some younger guys that don't have the background that would wow the fanbase, but that's the way you have to go. Find the offensive version of Manny Diaz: A guy that wasn't in high demand, but saw potential in Miami.

The issue with that is Miami won't be able to keep them. If Miami fields another top 10-15 defense next year Diaz is gone after next year 100%. Unless Miami offers something competitive, teams that are spending will just pluck our coaches yearly the moment they have any kind of success. It's been stated that Miami is willing to spend a mil on coordinator which is great, IMO but trying to offer less to up and coming guys isn't the way to go.

Advertisement
Because like all things money, the laws of financial gravity always pull and balance transactions back towards a market mean.

The laws of financial gravity? Never heard of that one.

Parity is not the natural state, it has to be forced and maintained through dilligent effort.

The NFL has parity because it institutionalizes parity via salary caps, rules about who can be traded and when, etc. The NBA is the same.

The MLB has none of that, and it’s never had any parity. While I hate soccer, the English soccer league is the biggest sports league in the world, and it has no parity. The richest teams win the most, and the rich get richer. There is no “gravity” to pull it down.

The only “gravity” that exists is the tendency for power and wealth to consolidate in the hands of a few. The rich get richer. That’s the natural law.

The laws of financial gravity? Never heard of that one.

Parity is not the natural state, it has to be forced and maintained through dilligent effort.

The NFL has parity because it institutionalizes parity via salary caps, rules about who can be traded and when, etc. The NBA is the same.

The MLB has none of that, and it’s never had any parity. While I hate soccer, the English soccer league is the biggest sports league in the world, and it has no parity. The richest teams win the most, and the rich get richer. There is no “gravity” to pull it down.

The only “gravity” that exists is the tendency for power and wealth to consolidate in the hands of a few. The rich get richer. That’s the natural law.

Whatever you say Marx.

Yes, it works exactly as you describe above.

Let's go "Occupy NCAA".

FaQt3H3LFIjK0.gif

Last edited:
Advertisement
for those that are going to mention USC -- theyre a larger school by enrollment than Miami, have a larger fanbase that contributes in the area, and KK took that job knowing **** be the interim by october otherwise he could've waited for the Chargers OC job to open up or Bama OC (which opened up a day later)

Yeah i read that today. Why would aranda ever want to be a head coach when he can command that kind of money. He doesn't deal with the scrutiny and media garbage and the opinion of LSU is that without that incredible defense they have they'd be awful. He's got the perfect gig.

I think he knows he does too, I would imagine he plans to stay put until Orgeron is fired and I would imagine he's next in line to take over.

For sure. That is what I am getting at. My point was IF DUKE WANTED TO. Not Duke will. Not having enough money is not the reason Dukes football team is trash.

Even if Duke WANTED to spend money out of their endowment for football, odds are they wouldn't be able to. People forget that an overwhelming majority of funds given by donors to any University are earmarked for a particular purpose. In other words, when I write my check for UMiami Law or the College of Arts and Sciences, those funds HAVE to go to those entities. The school cannot take that money and spend as it sees fit. Not only would it be unethical, it would also have legal ramifications. When people check a box on their donation sheet, it's considered a contract between the school and donor.

Advertisement
Back