2028 Top247 EDGE Asher Ghioto breaks down his latest Georgia visit, Kirby Smart's message and why the Bulldogs made major ground in his recruitment.
247sports.com
Ghioto grew up a Georgia fan, but when the 2028 Top247 EDGE arrived in Athens this weekend, the Bulldogs entered the visit with some ground to make up. He left feeling like they had done exactly that. In fact, Ghioto believes Georgia may have done even more than that.
"I would say it's safe to assume that [UGA had ground to make up] just based off of the amount of times I've been to
Florida, maybe 15 times, and I've been to Georgia now three, maybe four," Ghioto told 247Sports. "I think this is my fourth actually, including my camp in my eighth-grade year. But I would just say definitely. But now, all the ground is made up and even more on top of that."
"The visit has done a lot," he said. "It's hard to even put it into words. That visit definitely changed a lot, it really did, and it flipped the tables a lot, too. It was an eye-opening visit, to say the least. I left there speechless."
Ghioto said Georgia fans made it clear that they wanted him in Athens, with one interaction standing out in particular. "I signed this one dude's forehead," he said. "It was insane, but it was awesome."
The 2028 standout said he plans to be committed before next season, meaning the game-day visits he takes this fall carry added importance. He views these trips as final impressions of each program's game-day environment.
"After seeing practice in the spring and the way they work, it's different because I know that that's the type of team I want to be a part of," Ghioto said. "A team that plays with that type of violence that you just try and kill the dude in front of you.
Next up is
Texas A&M. Ghioto is scheduled to visit the Aggies this coming weekend, giving another program an opportunity to make its case before he eventually makes his decision.
Miami,
South Carolina and
Notre Dame are schools also set to host him on campus this season.