As someone who hasn’t missed a game in the last 15 or so years...

Think about this-Mark Whipple was once our OC and he scored 19 points on a Blake Baker defense. Take the win and get ready for UVA.

Advertisement
Honestly if you take this team and revised coaching staff and place it back in time a year ago, Miami goes 11-1. I still think that Florida would have beaten this team due to structural issues, but every other game that we lost flips.

Not that this is the second coming of 2001 or even a Top 5 squad, but Miami continues to have more talent than anyone else within the ACC on an overall basis except for Clemson, and perhaps FSU. In the case of FSU, it's probably now on pare or we're slightly ahead.

Glad we won, but Clemson showed why Lashlee's offense can't and won't sustain itself in its current state. You can't go 3 and out 4 out of 5 possessions then hit a big play against great teams and win. It puts a strain on the defense and wears them down. We have to be more consistent on offense. Now on defense, Baker is not the answer. Secondary is still leaving guys wide open in zone coverage and he won't start the best guys to give our defense a chance for success. Please disguise some of our coverages so that offenses don't always know what defense we're in. This was mentioned last year from an opposing team. They always knew what defense were in.

We made some dumbass moves on both offense and defense losing to Clempson. Fixable things.

Too many mistakes.

We fix those - and we'll give them a real game - later.

Honestly if you take this team and revised coaching staff and place it back in time a year ago, Miami goes 11-1. I still think that Florida would have beaten this team due to structural issues, but every other game that we lost flips.

Not that this is the second coming of 2001 or even a Top 5 squad, but Miami continues to have more talent than anyone else within the ACC on an overall basis except for Clemson, and perhaps FSU. In the case of FSU, it's probably now on pare or we're slightly ahead.
Borregales makes it 12-0. We get a field goal we beat the turds...

Advertisement
Hate to say it, but that would have been a completely different game if Pitt's normal QB was playing. They left a lot of plays on the field against our defense because their QB's were pretty inept. We might have lost if they had their normal QB.

We also can't turn the ball over like that - we gave them really good field position on their scoring drives. King is great, but he can't be throwing too many sideline patterns. They need to figure out a way to get the ball to our guys on short patterns while they are moving (not standing still) and more inside slants, etc. It seems like our routes are taking way too long to develop, or King is just missing open WRs
I also can’t remember a time seeing one of our wide outs win a 50 50 ball

I also can’t remember a time seeing one of our wide outs win a 50 50 ball
This stands out like a flashing led light. I watch college football all day and see guys everywhere making great contested catches. This has been going on for years here.

Yes sir, I'll take 31 points in an effort defined as "not looking good" as our top target wasn't on the field and against a defense that was by all accounts supposed to be very good.

I said all week, one program was going to take a hard turn after this game. It wasn't the Canes.

This stands out like a flashing led light. I watch college football all day and see guys everywhere making great contested catches. This has been going on for years here.
I feel like Braxton made some contested catches in his day. He played like he was 5 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier.

Advertisement
This team lost to FIU less than 11 months ago and there are people legitimately upset about what they saw yesterday.

Can you honestly imagine being that delusional?

I’m happy with a W yesterday.
I’ve seen it said on the board since the game ended yesterday, but I will repeat it here.

This was the exact type of game that we would have lost in the Shannon, Golden or
era.

Playing a tough defense at noon following a big loss (especially with a tiny crowd). These types of games typically derailed an otherwise promising season in the past. I’m actually impressed by us.

We didn’t look good, but we still took care of business. This was lacking in many years past. It was feast or famine with our Canes and nothing in between. Good example is what Bama did last week against ole miss. They didn’t look their best but they found a way to win. That’s what makes a great team great (no I am not comparing us to bama).

In my opinion, those “in between” games make the difference between 6-7 win seasons and 9-10 win seasons.

Pitt is a team we always “should” beat. If our canes of the last 10 years beat every team we “should” beat, our past decade would look a lot different. Last year would have looked a lot different if we beat teams like La Tech, FIU and a “reeling” (at the time) Hokies squad. We had a habit of losing to teams we “should” beat, due to lack of respect for the opponent, mentally being checked out, lack of effort or what have you.

Now, I’m still skeptical and we have plenty of time to f*** this season up, but yesterday was a big step in the right direction.

.... Miami also hasn't had a quarterback over that same 15-year span either—sort of goes hand in hand.

Even with Lashlee, put Perry or Williams (if he were still with the program) back there instead of King—the Canes still lose the game, unable to manufacture that score.

Yesterday's 31 points was the most scored on Pittsburgh (in regulation) since the 34 that UCF put up on them last September in a Panthers' win. That doesn't happen without D'Eriq King—even with his two interceptions.

Miami's showdown with Virginia last year was similar to this game (regarding goal line stands)—and it took holding them under 17 to escape that one with a "W".

Yes sir, I'll take 31 points in an effort defined as "not looking good" as our top target wasn't on the field and against a defense that was by all accounts supposed to be very good.

I said all week, one program was going to take a hard turn after this game. It wasn't the Canes.
Absolutely correct. Good Win. Gotta keep collecting Ws.

Advertisement
Back