Artie Burns notes

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
-There has already been speculation on the boards that he isn't solid, due to the LSU "dream school" comments and that he is planning to take all 5 officials.

-As far as the LSU concern goes, I was told by a source that the Tigers were recruiting him until they saw Rashard Robinson from Ely and felt like he was more of a pure corner than Burns, which is what they are looking for in this class. That's not a knock on Burns, he's just not a true corner. So LSU shouldn't be an issue with him. The source also told me that the track coach was after him hard and using football as a recruiting tool.

-Burns was at the last Al Golden Football camp as a non-participant. He was being shown around by Deon Bush and was with Hurlie Brown a lot. The comments about Burns "not being excited" are being overblown. He has been on campus unofficially multiple times already and is familiar with a lot of the incoming freshman and players on the roster.

-With the 5 official visits, this isn't a big concern. First off, we hear kids all the time say they will take all 5 officials after they commit and very rarely do they actually go through with it for a few reasons. The coaches are usually able to talk them out of it and I feel like this will be the case with Burns. Officials are paid for by the school and a lot of these prospects have never been out of the state, so it's an exciting idea for them.

-Burns plans on running track at Miami. Coach Golden forced Travis Benjamin, Lamar Miller, Phillip Dorsett, and Brandon McGee to stop running last year, but he will allow Burns to do so. Some have said that Artie has the potential to make the olympics eventually, so he will probably be putting in as much work in track as football, just something to keep in mind.

-I have posted before that I believe he will play safety at Miami, but don't rule out the possibility of him playing corner. I still see this turning out similarly to the Deon Bush situation, where Bush was being recruited as a corner, but is starting out at safety because of the depth concerns.

-Overall, it is a great pick-up and nice to see the 'Canes get back into Miami Northwestern. I don't see any concerns about him switching his commitment later in the process.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Thx Pete. But for me, it still sounds at like the commitment is at least softish... I mean, we're still 7-8 months away from NSD, what commitment really is solid with kids these days? For every Duke Johnson there are ****loads of Reggie Northrups... I prefer being patient and see things play out before getting too excited. Anyhow, I still believe we will wind up with a great class both in 2013 and 2014. Only area of concern for me in 13 is OL, but with all the good ones supposedly leaning our way in 2014 I guess it's going to be fine.

Advertisement
Thx Pete. But for me, it still sounds at like the commitment is at least softish... I mean, we're still 7-8 months away from NSD, what commitment really is solid with kids these days? For every Duke Johnson there are ****loads of Reggie Northrups... I prefer being patient and see things play out before getting too excited. Anyhow, I still believe we will wind up with a great class both in 2013 and 2014. Only area of concern for me in 13 is OL, but with all the good ones supposedly leaning our way in 2014 I guess it's going to be fine.

He is 17 years old so his commitment is as strong as any other 17 year old. That being said based off what I have seen from Golden so far I don't think he takes all those visits and believe he stays. Keep in mind this is going to be a much smaller class and as long as recruits are taking visits then Miami will be accepting visits.

As Miami fans, you'd think some of you would know better than anyone else not to get your panties in a wad over "dream school" comments.

Advertisement
It can't be said enough how big of a get this is. To me, Arties commitment is on the level of Olsons. Kid is going to be an elite Safety.

golden just putting in work who cares if the ncaa dont like it he is still doing it in gods way and thats the way that wins

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back