Article: Shaquille Quarterman is excited about Miami's future

View as article

Nash Williams

Freshman
Oakleaf High in Orange Park, Florida recently produced current Miami Hurricane Darrion Owens. Now they have another future Hurricane linebacker in 2016 stud Shaquille Quarterman.

Shaquille committed to Miami on June 24th, a few days after attending the Al Golden Football Camp. His commitment helped start a recruiting hot streak for Miami as the 'Canes have added a total of eight commitments in the 2015 and 2016 classes since that date.

As one of the premier linebackers in the country, Quarterman was a massive pickup for the Miami staff. Why did he commit to Miami so quickly?

"I've been a die-hard Hurricanes fan since I came out of the womb," said Quarterman.

"For me I just love it there. It is home. They offer what I want academically. I really love the defensive scheme and how they plan to use me. I just want to call Miami home," Quarterman said.

At six-foot-one, 233-pounds, Quarterman is a physical freak. He describes himself as physical, and unstoppable on the field and would compare his playing style to San Francisco 49ers star Patrick Willis.

Quarterman believes the transition to the next level will not be too difficult because of the similarities in scheme with his high school and Miami.

"Coach (D'Onofrio) and his scheme is what I am used to in high school," said Quarterman. "It should be pretty easy to adjust to that when I get there because I'm ready to make an impact on day one and earn playing time as a freshman. I mean, I am on a mission."

Quarterman says Miami fans have a lot to be excited for the future.

"The program is already going in the right direction right now. I feel like I am going to be a big part of that too, because I see myself having a prosperous career as a Miami Hurricane. I know we are going to win a lot more games and we are going to get back to the old Miami."

Quarterman credits wide receivers coach Brennan Carroll as the coach who has made the most impact on him during his recruitment.

Advertisement
Really hope we keep him, from his pop's comments to this article and the kid's potential as a player can't be too much happier about a recruit than this.

Perfect successor to Perryman at ILB. Thrilled to have him committed as one of the headliners of a potential program-changing class.

[video=youtube;SlCVFuqtTpI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCVFuqtTpI[/video]

Love having this kid. Exactly the type of recruit we need. Hope he can recruit all the other top guys and get them to commit and workout together. Having his dad communicating on these boards is a plus. Welcome to the U family.

Perfect successor to Perryman at ILB. Thrilled to have him committed as one of the headliners of a potential program-changing class.

Thats what a MLB should look like..

Advertisement
Really hope we keep him, from his pop's comments to this article and the kid's potential as a player can't be too much happier about a recruit than this.

Really hope we can keep him?

"I've been a die hard Hurricanes fan since I came out of the womb."

I don't know about anyone else, but judging from that statement, I'd put his commitment strength at **** near 100%.

I don't know about anyone else, but judging from that statement, I'd put his commitment strength at **** near 100%.

That is true, it would be the first time a cane fan went to another school.

Advertisement

That is true, it would be the first time a cane fan went to another school.

There are Canes fans all over the country. A lot of people say they are fans, but very few come out saying things like this kid has, and make the verbal promise.

You tell me, when's the last time we had a kid say he's been a Cane since he popped out, verbal to us, then not hold true to that verbal.

This 2016 class could be too Elite. 2016 ESPN 300 prospects we have a legit shot at landing along with the 5 we already have: Shavar Manuel (DE), Trayvon Mullen (CB), Nate Craig (WR), Rashan Gary (DT), Chidi Okeke-Valentine (OT), Cedrick Wright (DB), Chauncey Gardner (DB), Brandon Johnson (WR), Stewart Reese (OT), Quayshon Alexander (DE), Malik Barrow (DE), Patrick Bethel (DE), Aaron Thompson (DE), Michael Irvin Jr (TE).
I expect WR and DE to be Amazing for this class.

Advertisement

Good god that hit at 4:50 was just nasty.

Sophomore highlights, so those are from a 15 year old?

Jesus, this kid is a beast.
He's 230lbs with baby fat.
By the time this kid is a senior he's going to be 250lbs and rock solid.
Has huge thighs and big calves. This is not some weight room creation.
This kid is just a naturally big, strong fast athlete.

What a pickup. Unbelievably impressive.

Hate to say it, but this kid looks like Willie Williams, who had some of the most impressive linebacker film you will ever see.
I'm hoping Shaquille has a shellfish allergy, so we won't have that problem to worry about.

Favorite recruit. Kids a nightmare. He talkin bout comin out the womb a Cane. **** it, hurry up and get down here!! Wooo!

Advertisement
Almost hate to say this but the number 5 plus his build and playing style reminds me of Manti Teo. Regardless I am very excited to have him. Only a sophomore in that film. Kid truly has the look of a 5 star no 1 rated MLB in the nation type. We're getting a good one guysm!

Last edited:

Got to second that. Kid sounds like closest thing to Duke we have seen. Gotta love everything about him. Welcome to THE U young man. Oh, we love your pops too.

This 2016 class is something to behold. I never really followed recruiting until the few years (Who needed to, whoever we got beat the crap out whoever we didn't.) For those of you who know this stuff, have we EVER had a class like this a year ahead of time?

Advertisement
Back