Article on the Failures of The U

Advertisement
he nails it. every word.

The last paragraph regarding Alex Toral still being used in official UM Baseball commercials is ALL I need to know about The Hecht.

Spot on. The author is correct that the Unathletic Department is nothing more than a marketing machine trying to convince people not to believe what they see with their own eyes. Miami was the standard for college football and baseball success and are now utter jokes.
They keep banking on our past to “bank” from our past. It’s a marketing ploy filled w/ guys who r incapable of running a real AD.

"The good news for Miami was that with a quick turnaround, even Miami fans stop complaining near kickoff. For that brief 4 hours, the consumers of hope think, just maybe, things will turn around. Beat a lowly Virginia, who coming into the game was one of the worst teams in the ACC, and with an upcoming bye week, the potential existed for 16 days of delusional daydreaming, a Miami tradition unlike any other. A chance to lie to ourselves, to traffic in hope."

Advertisement
Some things from the Frenk letter thst caught my eye:

I want to make clear that the Board of Trustees and I, as president, recognize the essential part of our brand and reputation derived from athletics and we are fully committed to building championship-caliber teams at the U.
1. ‘Recognize the essential part of our brand and reputation’? So we don’t actually want to win for its own sake, just because it’s part of our brand?
2. We’re ‘committed to building championship-caliber teams’? Why didn’t he just write that we expect to win titles? Because our commitment is what counts, not actually winning. We’re ‘trying.’ Trying what? To build, not to win. Build what? Championship-caliber teams, not champions.

I assume he wrote this carefully. It’s very weak.

/shouldn’t he capitalize ‘president’, btw.?

We can either be disrupted, or we can play a role in strategically shaping the course of disruption.

lol wut?

I have decided to increase the involvement from my senior leadership team to chart a way forward. Rudy Fernandez … and Joe Echevarria … will augment my own direct engagement with the athletics director by facilitating seamless alignment between the Board of Trustees, my entire administration, and the athletics department.

’augment’
’direct’
’facilitating’
’seamless alignment’
’entire administration’

So he’s making this change because there isn’t currently seamless alignment between his entire administration, the BOT and the AD? That’s quite an admission. Who is this disaligned person? Why not just fire that person? What will the seamless alignment facilitators actually do? And how will we know if we achieve a state of seamless alignment? Does that requite some sort of outcome achievement, like winning? Or just everyone agreeing that our commitment to building championship-caliber teams’ is strong?

At the U, time and again, we have proven that excellence in academics and excellence in athletics are not mutually exclusive.

Why write this? Did anyone suggest they are ’mutually exclusive’? Why would anyone think that? Teams win titles every year. Who is he responding to with this?

The obvious answer is this is an admission against interest. He is telling us what he really thinks with this unprompted defensive blurb.

He thinks excellence in academics and excellence in athletics are, in fact, mostly mutually exclusive, and that is his defense of the **** performance of his AD. He’s saying bad athletics doesn’t matter, and we shouldn’t care, because anything else would run counter to our goal of excellence in academics. He is taking pride in our **** AD. It’s a validator to him of his belief set.

That article was depressing.

Angry Ufc GIF

Advertisement
I wish conferences could demand more. It sucks everybody gets the same money without investing close to the same in their programs.
Thats one of the only things that may cause Frenk to do something. Threaten that conference check and watch how fast **** gets done.

Advertisement
Advertisement
When do we actually hit Rock Bottom? Because every time I think we have - it's "You have to be kidding me!"
Brother rock bottom was FIU, we just lacked the conviction to realize what a colossal ****-up the Manny hire was and fire him after one season.

GT and Duke losses that year were almost equally as damning, and of course we didn't bother showing up for the bowl game and got shutout by a G5 school. That was rock bottom, but King, Phillips, Roche, COVID etc. gave us pause for a good chunk of last season before Mack reminded us who Manny really is. Saban reaffirmed that a few weeks ago, and Mel Tucker and Bronco Mendenhall did what they do to Manny, because he's a simp coach.

Rock bottom happened almost two years ago.

Vishnu's articles are always spot on. But man, they're depressing with the state of the athletic department as a whole. I can't wait to see his articles on when we actually accomplish something.

Advertisement
Back