Article on safeties

Advertisement
they want big hitters, doesn't mean are box safeties , if they can run can play fs or ss, u have to be able to run to play safety period be it box or deep safety. truth is even in nfl most of them are pretty interchangeable. tackling should be a top priority for every position on d though.

speed matters though and with diaz defense attacking if u can tackle and prevent big play eventually that d will get u to punt turn it over and settle for a fg.

Our safety depth chart is overloaded. We need to make room for the 2018 class or else we ain't keeping or getting the kids we want.

The depth chart for 2018 looks like this:

SR Michael Jackson
SR Jaquan Johnson
JR Robert Knowles
JR Romeo Finley
JR Cedrick Wright
JR Jeff James
SO Derrick Smith
SO Amari Carter

That's 8 kids in 2018 for a position that starts 2. When Bama, UF, and other programs point this out to Jobe, Hall, and Russell, how do we counter this argument? We had better start culling the noncontributors out starting in the spring.

Making sure we have room for the 2018 S and CB classes is precisely why i didn't want to overload either position in 2017. And why i really didn't care what happened to Crank Job and Edwards.

Our safety depth chart is overloaded. We need to make room for the 2018 class or else we ain't keeping or getting the kids we want.

SRMichael Jackson
SRJaquan Johnson
JRRobert Knowles
JRRomeo Finley
JRCedrick Wright
JRJeff James
SODerrick Smith
SOAmari Carter

That's 8 kids in 2018 for a position that starts 2. When Bama, UF, and other programs point this out to Jobe, Hall, and Russell, how do we counter this argument? We had better start culling the noncontributors out starting in the spring.

Making sure we have room for the 2018 S and CB classes is precisely why i didn't want to overload either position in 2017. And why i really didn't care what happened to Crank Job and Edwards.

Who on that list would Jobe believe he can't start over?

Advertisement

SRMichael Jackson
SRJaquan Johnson
JRRobert Knowles
JRRomeo Finley
JRCedrick Wright
JRJeff James
SODerrick Smith
SOAmari Carter

Who on that list would Jobe believe he can't start over?

Impossible to predict. We don't know if any of those listed names will blow up and we don't know how many will prove they can play. And he's not only gonna be competing against 8 current players. He's gonna have to compete against 2 other commits, Hall and Russell.

That's ELEVEN safeties for 2 spots. lol.

What i want to see is this shi* sorted out ASAP, get the JAGS who can't play to transfer out before the season starts. It's a lot easier to sell playing time with 5 returning safeties on the roster than 8.

Diaz made Carter and Jenkins (not exactly great cover guys) look legit. And the defense really wasn't exposed deep much at all last year that I can recall.

SR Michael Jackson
SR Jaquan Johnson
JR Robert Knowles
JR Romeo Finley
JR Cedrick Wright
JR Jeff James
SO Derrick Smith
SO Amari Carter

You really think a school like Bama can talk to a recruit about another school's depth chart at ANY position? Come on, man. ****, even Florida has pretty solid DB talent as much as we rag on them.

And as FS88 said, most of the guys we plan on bringing in will be talented enough to instantly crack the rotation as long as they're in proper shape.

Not to mention the almost certain continued attrition as Richt and staff get a better feel as to whether a few of these guys will ever make valuable contributions here. So yeah, I do think there needs to be attrition, but the competition aspect will not be a turn-off for any of these incoming prospects.

Last edited:
I think at least a couple of those kids graduate early and aren't in roster in 2018 for whatever reason. Also, it's really 2.5 spots as we often saw Quran on the field with two safeties.

Advertisement
1. Jackson just got moved to safety bc he can't play corner. (Thanks AG)
2. Jaquan is good but many elite kids can start over him.
3. Knowles is a career backup.
4. Finley is a complete unknown.
5. Can Wright keep his head on straight?
6. Jeff who?

Guys like Carter, Hall, Jobe play from day 1.

1. Jackson just got moved to safety bc he can't play corner. (Thanks AG)
2. Jaquan is good but many elite kids can start over him.
3. Knowles is a career backup.
4. Finley is a complete unknown.
5. Can Wright keep his head on straight?
6. Jeff who?

Guys like Carter, Hall, Jobe play from day 1.

Hope you're right. Would make me feel better if we let some of these guys go instead of taking up valuable schollies and clogging up depth charts. Jackson can do his thing this year providing emergency depth and head on to greener pastures elsewhere before LOI day. Same with Knowles and James.

The CB situation is much better. In fact i think Richt played the CB roster management game perfectly if he lands Delaney. We're moving Jackson out. Henley and Mayes are graduating rs JRs and can be let go after 2017. Delaney is one and done. Which means in 2018, we only have:

Redwine
Dean
Young
Bandy

There's room for 3-4 CBs. Especially since Dean could leave early with a great year, which would mean only 3 returning CBs and TONS of playing time opportunities for Ivey, Blades, Frierson, Samuel, or Campbell.

ETA:

If we get all of the tier 1 CBs on the board and Dean leaves early, here is the dream 2018 CB depth chart:

Field CB: Samuel, Blades, Ivey
Boundary: Redwine, Frierson, Campbell
Nickel: Young, Bandy

Last edited:

SR Michael Jackson
SR Jaquan Johnson
JR Robert Knowles
JR Romeo Finley
JR Cedrick Wright
JR Jeff James
SO Derrick Smith
SO Amari Carter

Out of that list Smith, Finley, Carter, and Johnson will make impacts

Advertisement
i don't get why you guys worry about what scholarships are going to be taken up 2 years from now. the coaches will get the guys they want in the program and shuffle the ones they don't out.

there's never been a single case of a good player not being taken because his scholarship was being used up by a worse player the coaching staff doesn't like. this has never happened. and yet we spend all year talking about this exact situation as if it is ever a reality.

i don't get why you guys worry about what scholarships are going to be taken up 2 years from now. the coaches will get the guys they want in the program and shuffle the ones they don't out.

there's never been a single case of a good player not being taken because his scholarship was being used up by a worse player the coaching staff doesn't like. this has never happened. and yet we spend all year talking about this exact situation as if it is ever a reality.

I'm just impatient bruh. I need these depth charts unclogged ASAP.

Advertisement

SR Michael Jackson
SR Jaquan Johnson
JR Robert Knowles
JR Romeo Finley
JR Cedrick Wright
JR Jeff James
SO Derrick Smith
SO Amari Carter

Attrition is going to be made. But all the '18 kids know they are coming in to compete for starting positions. You act like Bama doesn't have same kind of numbers.

I'm just impatient bruh. I need these depth charts unclogged ASAP.

So you can then about depth? I mean if you look at your argument, depth charts decide why kids go places. Why exactly did Henderson and Edwards choose the Gates? I mean, we have a much more favorable depth chart then they do. I personally do not want a kid that says "i won't go there unless I can start day 1" Well, any kid can start day 1 if they are the best. But the fact remains, no one wins with a bunch of freshman at any 1 position. You need talented older guys, with really talented younger guys right behind them. No kid is worried about half the guys you mentioned on your list.

However, I laugh at the guy that says any of these kids will start over a senior in Jaquan Johnson. That kid was just a s good as any of these guys, in the same so fla area and is the obvious leader. He will start every game for the next two years barring injury. And we do use three safeties a lot, so that is why they are targeting so many. And if you think a bout it a safety sized kid is the perfect special teamer. Imagine a kick off unit with Bandy, Carter, Derrick Smith, Blades, Jobe, Macho man. I mean you might have dudes calling for fair catches on Kickoffs just out of fear for their lives! lol

SR Michael Jackson
SR Jaquan Johnson
JR Robert Knowles
JR Romeo Finley
JR Cedrick Wright
JR Jeff James
SO Derrick Smith
SO Amari Carter

A bunch of those kids won't even be on the roster by then unless they flash on the field. Jobe easily starts over everyone not named Jaquan.

“I told all of the kids when we left the bowl game that I’m going to put all of you guys in during the spring and training camp and mat drills, and whoever comes out—if we only have two, then we play two and if we have three like we did this year, then we’ll have three,” safeties coach Ephraim Banda said.

Banda knows what's good.

Advertisement
Back