Article: Keys to the Season: Roles and Role Players

View as article

imurcane

Banned
Banned
One issue that goes largely unnoticed is the importance of roles and role players. I think I get why, we are young and have some depth issues along with issues centering around who we can count on. But i do distinguish role players, even if it is ever so slightly, from depth issues. We need guys who can excel in their roles. We need guys who can specialize in pass rushing, long snapping, special team coverage guys, etc; We need guys who can specialize in jack of all trades though that may seem a bit odd to some of you. I have done some personal self discovery this year. I am a teacher. What I lack in organization I make up for in flexibility. For the longest time I hated that my attention span was short and I wasnt the most organized. Teachers that were detailed and organized seemed to be on top of their game. Well, I realize that a football team, like a school, need a diversity of talents. I for one will be watching out for this largely unnoticed key to the season, roles and role players.

Advertisement
Luther Robinson, Gionni Paul, Kacy Rodgers, Thomas Finnie (though he may start, can be replaced with Gunter/Howard/Hope) will need to be key role players this year on Defense.

Jermaine Johnson, Eduardo Clements, Dallas Crawford, Maurice Hagens, and Asante Cleveland on Offense.

I expect significant improvement on Defense and regression on Offense this year.

I don't think we will see regression on offense personally. It wasn't like we lit up the scoreboard on offense, think we were in the 70s nationally in PPG. Morris will be an improvement at QB and will allow Fisch to open up the passing game.

Miami will have to replace a lot of receptions next year. Hurns is certainly capable of 30-40 of them, but who else will? Rashawn Scott and Dorsett are unproven, as much as I'm excited about their potential. TE's will need to take a lot more of the load... Walford and Cleveland seem to have the ability to catch 20-25 passes, but they are unproven as well.

I don't know if James + Clements will be rushing for 1,200 yards combined if they are averaging 4 yards a carry, which is what they've basically been doing over the Spring.

If a Freshman WR and Duke Johnson blow up and have monster FR campaigns, this offense could be better than last year's. But I won't be expecting it - how can anyone, there are too many unknowns.

Miami will have to replace a lot of receptions next year. Hurns is certainly capable of 30-40 of them, but who else will? Rashawn Scott and Dorsett are unproven, as much as I'm excited about their potential. TE's will need to take a lot more of the load... Walford and Cleveland seem to have the ability to catch 20-25 passes, but they are unproven as well.

I don't know if James + Clements will be rushing for 1,200 yards combined if they are averaging 4 yards a carry, which is what they've basically been doing over the Spring.

If a Freshman WR and Duke Johnson blow up and have monster FR campaigns, this offense could be better than last year's. But I won't be expecting it - how can anyone, there are too many unknowns.

Advertisement
I agree that we see a big improvement on the D. 2 years into the system, better conditioning, and more skill in key areas (CB). On O, if MOrris can settle into a solid role as a contributor, we'll be fine. The RBs are good enough.

Advertisement
Back