article about Sony Michel today

Advertisement
Great to hear Sony has recovered well from that ACL tear. Cannot wait to see him play his junior and senior seasons!

Good stuff. Probably the top player in the state this year if he didn't get hurt. 3,000 yds as an 8th and 9th grader is crazy.

Good stuff. Probably the top player in the state this year if he didn't get hurt. 3,000 yds as an 8th and 9th grader is crazy.

That is crazy, but isn't that a lot of miles by the time he gets through HS, much less college? Not denying his talent, but that is much wear and tear.

Advertisement

That is crazy, but isn't that a lot of miles by the time he gets through HS, much less college? Not denying his talent, but that is much wear and tear.

Well especially considering his injury I think its safe to say he will he used less this year. His coaches obviously feel very strongly about his future so no sense in risking it before it begins. Not sure about how many carries he was getting but yeah I don't expect an earth shattering year from him just because he won't get the touches. Just my opinion though.

Not sure to be honest, he missed most if not all of last year so that saved his legs some. It would be Interesting to see how many HS career carries he has compared to that Florida RB commit, his name slips my mind, but the dude has outrageous carries throughout his career.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I can't think of any instances where a heavy workload in HS hampered an elite player's career or shortened it. I know in college and in the NFL that may happen, but these dudes are premier athletes playing against mostly kids that they are physically superior to.

I definitely understand the concern (been on varsity since 8th grade and is coming back from a major injury), just don't think it really happens with higher level athletes in HS.

Even if he carries the ball every play for his team, that is still less of a workload than a player going every play both ways (which a lot of really good HS players do)

Advertisement

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I can't think of any instances where a heavy workload in HS hampered an elite player's career or shortened it. I know in college and in the NFL that may happen, but these dudes are premier athletes playing against mostly kids that they are physically superior to.

Bobby Washington maybe? Obviously he had some other issues with grades/attitude/people around him but he racked up a ton of miles in high school and flamed out completely in college despite seeming like a guy that couldn't miss. Kelvin Taylor and Michel will both be interesting to watch at the next level. The pounding that you take in high school isnt the same as what you take in college, but elite high school backs can rack up 40 carries a game at a time when their bodies aren't ready for it.

Bobby Washington maybe? Obviously he had some other issues with grades/attitude/people around him but he racked up a ton of miles in high school and flamed out completely in college despite seeming like a guy that couldn't miss. Kelvin Taylor and Michel will both be interesting to watch at the next level. The pounding that you take in high school isnt the same as what you take in college, but elite high school backs can rack up 40 carries a game at a time when their bodies aren't ready for it.

Yeah it will definitely be interesting to follow. And wonder what it was that happened with Bobby Washington. I just think of some one like Noel Devine who was his HS team for 4 full years and had a successful college career (only being somewhat limited by size, not wear and tear).

I'm sure there's a few kids whose HS workload has hampered them, but there's a bunch of examples of kids getting the rock a ton and having no issues in college (see the plethora of workhorse kids from TX and FL who went on to have great careers after carrying their HS teams). This issue seems to catch up a lot more at the next jump, between college-NFL... at least, that's what my brain is telling me this early in the morning when I try to think of examples.

Advertisement
I would be interested to see what his YPC looked like (could probably Google but really just too lazy). A guy like Duke had a ton of yards but didn't need as many carries as a guy like Kelvin Taylor or Ty Moss (just the first guys I thought of, maybe bad examples but you catch my drift) to get them. If Michel is getting all those yards between the tackles and taking a lot of abuse (which from his tapes I HIGHLY doubt), it is a different story than if he is averaging, say, 13 YPC.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back