Arik Armstead ain't playin around

Advertisement
yuuup so he has his preference of classes when he begins his college career. i heard he wants to play with his bro who is transferring from USC. CAL is def the favorite but ND is in there too. we'll see...

Last edited:
How in the fug is Cal cleaning this much house in recruiting?

Cal is the Clemson of the West, it seems. Consistently mediocre, but they get ridiculous amounts of talent and produce a **** load of NFL talent. Yet, they never win a thing.

Baffles me.

Cal is the Clemson of the West, it seems. Consistently mediocre, but they get ridiculous amounts of talent and produce a **** load of NFL talent. Yet, they never win a thing.

Baffles me.

Hmmm...I guess perspective is everything. To me, the question is: why wouldn't Cal do well in recruiting? While Cal may some similar history of under performing, it otherwise has zero in common with Clemson.

It's a very solid program and a great education. A lot of NoCal and Central Valley (Sacramento down through Fresno) kids aren't SoCal type kids let alone Arizona types. Just culturally different for many (certainly not all) NoCal kids. And this year Cal is taking advantage of the fact that USC's scholarship restrictions have kicked in leaving some extra top players for other programs.

So what does that leave up in the northern part of the PAC-12 region? Most kids can't get into Stanford. Oregon is out of state and is a different place and not for everyone. And UW is a lesser choice these days. I dunno, I think Cal is a very attractive place for a recruit. <shrug>

Advertisement

Baffles me.

I don't get this one, Larry. Cal is crushing it this year, but they haven't necessarily be a recruiting force in the past. Don't discount USC's limited numbers, too. I would guess that both UCLA and Cal are the prime beneficiaries. Plus as an aside, along with Michigan, Virginia, UCLA, and North Carolina, Cal provides one of the best public educations available in one of the most beautiful parts of the country.

Cal's DL coach is a big-time recruiter. I've met him a few times; really personable, likable guy.

I think Cal stands to gain from USC's probation a lot more than UCLA.

Advertisement

Baffles me.

I don't get this one, Larry. Cal is crushing it this year, but they haven't necessarily be a recruiting force in the past. Don't discount USC's limited numbers, too. I would guess that both UCLA and Cal are the prime beneficiaries. Plus as an aside, along with Michigan, Virginia, UCLA, and North Carolina, Cal provides one of the best public educations available in one of the most beautiful parts of the country.

All of this. A Cal degree on the west coast is kind of a big deal. Right up there with SC, Stanford, etc.

Cal is a program similar to Florida pre-Spurrier waiting to explode. It is the state school in a talent rich state. Factor in the new facilities and top education, a great coach can turn it into a national power.

Shaq Thompson was pretty much a Cal lock though, I think my grandmother could have recruited him there. He could very well turn out to be the best player from this class.

Advertisement
Cal is a program similar to Florida pre-Spurrier waiting to explode. It is the state school in a talent rich state. Factor in the new facilities and top education, a great coach can turn it into a national power.

As my friends who graduated from UCLA, Davis, UCSD, etc. would say, it is one of the state schools. :)[/I][/I
I know what you mean, and I'm only teasing in case it wasn't obvious. The key difference between Florida and Cal is that football matters a lot more to FLorida than Cal. No way would UF keep a coach around who wins 7-8 games like Cal does. But I think when the stadium opens again, things will start to change a little, especially with Stanford doing so well lately.

Baffles me.

Cal has been able to get strong recruiting classes and high end players in the past. They do develop players well. They are a team that produces a **** ton of NFL talent...they have like 37 or so NFL Draft Picks since Tedford took over. It is one of the higher numbers, the highest of a team that hasn't been to a BCS Bowl, IIRC.

I don't know if I'd call them a recruiting "force", but as I mentioned, they are kind of like the Clemson of the West. They're always poaching some top talent from the elite, especially recently. I mean, early in Tedford's run, it was getting guys in battles against Oregon...but then he started going against USC and other big dogs and winning some...DeSean Jackson was a big one, Desmond Bishop, Jahvid Best, Keenan Allen, Viliami Moala, Todd Barr among others I don't recall off the top of my head.

Advertisement

Baffles me.

Cal has been able to get strong recruiting classes and high end players in the past. They do develop players well. They are a team that produces a **** ton of NFL talent...they have like 37 or so NFL Draft Picks since Tedford took over. It is one of the higher numbers, the highest of a team that hasn't been to a BCS Bowl, IIRC.

I don't know if I'd call them a recruiting "force", but as I mentioned, they are kind of like the Clemson of the West. They're always poaching some top talent from the elite, especially recently. I mean, early in Tedford's run, it was getting guys in battles against Oregon...but then he started going against USC and other big dogs and winning some...DeSean Jackson was a big one, Desmond Bishop, Jahvid Best, Keenan Allen, Viliami Moala, Todd Barr among others I don't recall off the top of my head.

I hear you. I would give Clemson a significant recruiting edge over Cal though. Cal's average rivals recruiting ranking over the last 5 years has been just over 25th.

Cal classes lack some depth. Then again I don't value the mailmen rankings too highly so who really knows?

Another item of note: The balance of power in Cali High school is currently all in the southern section (greater LA basin). Bay area HS football is really not anything special these days. The ball in socal is WAY better and much more competitive these days.

Quite frankly I blame De La Salle. They've single handedly destroyed norcal HS football. ****, even the other large, private school programs in the bay area (Bellermine, Mitty, Serra & St. Francis) have all backed out of playing against DLS on an annual basis. Since there is no playoff in CA football, this decision makes sense to them. For HS football fans it sucks.

Advertisement
Back