Aren't you guys really tired of...

Canes21

Junior
Banned
having 5 and 6 game seasons? That's all it has turned to around here anymore. We're 4 and 2 now, pretty much out of the Coastal race, left to play for nothing at this point. 10 years ago I would be ****ed after yesterday's loss, but after what we've been through I'm pretty much over it already. A loss used to keep me rustled for days. Now I just change the channel after the game and forget about it within an hour.

There is just always something wrong with this team. Our defense was awful the last 5 years under Gluten, now Diaz has that unit turned around and they are easily one of the top 20 in the nation. However, Kaaya can't throw an accurate ball to save his life right now and the offense has scored 53 points in the last three games combined. Richt isn't calling the best games, he could be more aggressive at times, but he is getting guys open. There were guys open downfield all day yesterday and Kaaya could not hit them to save his life or he simply refused to attempt to.

I didn't come into this season expecting Richt to fix everything wrong with this program. I am a big believer in culture being a huge factor in a team's success. I know a good amount of people around here don't buy into it, but after playing sports for 16 years of my life I think culture is extremely important. Richt can't change it in one year. Gluten created a soft team and it is still showing at times with this bunch. Once again, Kaaya, is another weakness here. He isn't fit to lead and you need a leader at the QB spot. He's too soft. Instead of getting onto the team when coming off of the field, he looks like he wants to cry half of the time. When they cut to the sideline when we're on defense he is never yelling or even talking to anyone, he's either blinking 90 times while trying to look up at a video board squinting or he is staring at the ground pouting.

I just want something to be excited for and right now there isn't a whole lot. I'm not a big moral victory type of guy. I get that the last two weeks we've fought back all game and never collapsed like a Golden team would have, and that gets me excited a tiny bit, but we still lost both games. When the defense was pitching its shutout all 2nd half and the offense finally got its act together I started to think back to the UCLA game. The team was fighting back, playing hard nosed defense, the offense was finally finding some rhythm. Then Yearby couldn't run it all the way in and the offense failed to get a TD in a crucial spot. I still had a little bit of hope, but then I saw the defense fighting some more and another sideline cut and I saw no fire from the sidelines. I knew we were going to lose.

The attitude just isn't there. That UCLA game had a sideline jumping all over one another making sure every man did their job. We just don't have that yet. The defense is very vocal right now and I credit a lot of that to Manny Diaz plus we have natural leaders over there both young and old. Shaq and Mike both seem like they won't let anyone lolly gag around, Corn, Carter, Quan, they look like they are going to hold everyone accountable. Where is that on the offense? It isn't there. That not only falls on Kaaya who is playing a spot where we need a leader, but I think it falls on Richt and the entire staff as well.

There needs to be a fire lit. Pouting all game long leads to the results we've seen the last few weeks. I don't think Kaaya is elite, but I don't think he is as terrible as he has played the last couple games. I think his confidence is shot, he's soft, and doesn't have the attitude to fight through struggles like a lot of successful athletes do. This is a bit of a different comparison, but look at Michael Jordan. Look at how many game winning shots he missed in his career. Why was he still so successful? Because he put every miss behind him and knew he was as good as the next shot. He had the confidence to bounce right back and put the team on his back. That is just missing on offense right now.

We're out of the Coastal race more or less. I've lost a ton of excitement for the season. There can still be plenty of growth shown the rest of the way, though, to get us fans excited again. I really want to hope that we see a fire get lit, I want to see this team just start clicking with the new staff. I get that it is year one and there will be growing pains, but I've grown to be pessimistic with this program. I want something legitimate to give me hope moving forward. I've already outlined what I am looking for. Will we see it?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back