Are we wasting our time recruiting NYC football kids?

AQM is from NJ the talent level is way different than NY NJ is pumping out top D1 recruits every year

Advertisement
The original question is ridiculous. We will recruit top talent wherever the **** it is. This kid is a beast. And honestly our U brand does exceptionally well nationally. As evidenced by the survey of 2000 high school students and the University of Miami being tied for 1st among those chosen.

I really believe we should get as many gems as possible down here, but those that play games, **** em. And then go national for the rest of the elite that are interested.

Orien Harris was from Delaware, which is up there with NYC as far as putting out premium D-1 talent. Malcolm Bunche is also from Delaware, so this small state has been good to UM. I understand and respect everyone's opinion in reference to my topic. Thanks everyone for your input. Like I said I hope Holley ends up being the real deal and if he chooses UM I hope he succeeds. I'll reserve passing judgement until his career is done.

Wasn't Orion Harris DT from New York?

I think the great Bill Schaeffer on our mid-80's team was from Salesianum in Delaware.

That DE, Ishaq, that Notre Dumb got last year looks like a great prospect. You get great prospects from wherever you can get them. Kansas doesn't produce great football players overall either, but I'm sure Oklahoma State is happy they went there to get Barry Sanders.

Advertisement
The question is kind of dumb. If you find an elite player anywhere, and he fits your needs, you recruit. I can't see us spending a great deal of time and resources there, but you don't ignore a top talent who seems right for your program.

"Talent" is not a result of where you grew up and much as it is tied directly to genetics. If a world class female sprinter and a world class male sprinter have a baby boy and decide to raise that kid in Idaho, odds are the kid will still be pretty **** fast! Maybe the child wont be able to reap the full benefits of year round training, like kid that grew up in SFLA, but the kid will still be pretty **** fast!

You cant give up on recruiting specific states just because they aren't known for producing top-level talent. There are talented players everywhere... If the coaches feel like a DT from NYC gives us a better shot at winning a NC then the DT's we currently have on the roster from SFLA, I'm down!

I agree. If you want to recruit talent from the NE its in the states of NJ, PA, Ohio and Michigan. Even Syracuse doesn't recruit in NYC>

Advertisement
syracuse focus hard on nyc which is ironic because in basketball they focus on philly

To the people who keep referencing testaverde and McGuire, lets not forget both did a pg year at fork union. And most likely it was to hone their FB skills rather than grades. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure either was a big time recruit coming out of hs. I played at fork union the year before McGuire and heard some things. Don't think he was there for grades.

Advertisement
There aren't fences around states that signify each state as a recruiting zone individually. As far as I know recruiting is regional therefore AQM is fr the NYC/north jersey area. AQM is from a place 15 minutes from NYC so just because they're two different states doesn'tran they are completely different recruiting territories. It's regional
Not fenced in state by state.

Elegant, I wouldn't agree with that. Basketball is big in parts of north jersey, but, football is big in most of jersey. Football is not big on Long Island, heck lacrosse is probably king there. In NYC, bball is king. It's all concrete, very few hs football stadiums.
It's just the way it is.

Both those guys were elite talents who went to post grad because they were underrectuited. Most likely for the same reason we have this thread. NY is not a football state, but it's a big state with some talented kids, you just need to find them. Over the years, Ray Rice, Will Smith, and D'brickshaw Ferguson come to mind.

Advertisement
The sports culture in NJ is much better than NY. NJ might as well be south of Illinois because they have nothing in common with NY. Kids sports in NJ are serious buisness.

Exactly, they were under recruited. So, they really blew up at fork union, not Long Island or NYC.
Not sure they were elite talents in hs though. Or considered elite talents.

North Jersey and South Jersey are almost two completely different states. South Jersey affiliates with Philadelphia and North Jersey affiliates with NYC.

I guess all I was trying to say was its stupid to deem any region not worth recruiting. What it comes down to is if there is an elite talent anywhere in the country and he has interest in the Canes, we gotta go get em no matter where they are at.

Advertisement
Back