Are we wasting our time recruiting NYC football kids?

LatinCane

Sophomore
I don't know much about this kid Holley but are we wasting our time recruiting these NYC football kids? I trust the coaches on their evaluations and respect their effort, but are these NYC kids a waste of football scholarships?

Reason I ask is because these NYC guys just end up being ok in football. When was the last time a guy that played football in NYC was a dominant figure not just at UM but on any premier football team? I know UF got Easley out of Long Island and he ended up decent, but besides Testaverde (Long Island) and Stephen McGuire (Brooklyn) who was the last player out of NYC that made a significant impact on the U? Leon Williams? Williams was the best football prospect to come out of NYC in the last 25 years when he signed with UM, he just ended up being decent at best and it took him awhile to grasp football at this level. WR Boateng was suppose to be amazing before he got to UF and he ended up transferring and continued to being mediocre at Cal. Is it maybe because football is secondary to basketball in NYC and the surrounding area? I've never been able to figure it out. I know there are athletes in NYC but the football guys just never seem to pan out.

I know New Jersey is a different animal, but consider me unimpressed with NYC football guys. Upstate NY guys are even less talented. No disrespect to Jimmy Gaines, but he is serviceable at best and I don't see his game developing a tier or two better before he leaves. Maybe Gus Edwards is different, but it just seems when these guys get down here or any where big time, they just end up being ok at best. Thoughts?

Advertisement
Most major football programs want Holley. So who do you think is making the mistake you or a whole bunch of coaches making millions recruiting him?
Also at this point does signing a mediocre DT really sound that bad after the past few years? Holley is going to be a baller in college. I dont care if he is from NY and has only played 8 games of football. He is smart hard working and athletic

Last edited:
Short answer: No

Long answer: Get talent where ever it is available. South Florida is becoming more of a **** show every day. Dealing with Lice, DrUMBond, Uncle Puke, Choade Wilson and the rest of these "coaches" is becoming more and more of an extreme hardship and a waste of time. There is no question that South Florida has talent beyond talent and we will always get kids from the area (the majority of the class) but if there is talent in NY-area or Maryland or Colorado (etc), go out and find that talent.

As I mentioned, I trust the coaches, but historically NYC kids have never panned out. Give me a 3-star DT out of the SE or Texas or Cal before bringing in a Four or Five Star prospect out of the NYC area. Maybe Holley is a difference maker, maybe he is the exception, but my $ is on this kid just being ok at best when you put him in a competition with talent out of traditional football breeding grounds. Holley is not the first nor will he be the last player out of NYC to be heavily recruited, my question however is who was the last player out of NYC that was dominant at a major program? These guys are few and far between. Why? I have no idea.

Advertisement
no kid is a waste of time as long as there is a plan b, c, d, e and f in place. our brand is among the strongest in the business.

It's not like these South Florida kids are lining up to come to Miami. Plus, guys like Ice Harris promotes waiting to signing day and playing recruiting games. The staff can't wait for these kids like last year and they don't come.

Consigliere, I completely understand that UM should recruit these players regardless of where they are, but NYC guys rarely seem to pan out. I mentioned Easley (Long Island) but besides him It's been quite some time since these guys made an impression at any program much less UM. I hope Holley commits to UM and is the real deal because we need the DTs, but if Moten, Clark or a any decent DT out of the SE wants to come to UM then give me these guys all day over the NYC football guys.

Advertisement
You recruit a kid based on their skill set and abilities not where they are from. Holley is an elite recruit at the biggest position of need for us, so yes you waste all your time on him if you have to.

I would assume Holley 2 or 3 on our list of DT's in this class. He's not a waste of time. Leon Williams may not have been an all-american here but kid was a decent football player. We just signed Gus edwards from up around there.

Have to agree with the previous that talked about the politics of South Florida recruiting, it makes getting OOS kids a priority more than maybe it should.

Does he have a good get-off?
Is he tough?
Is he strong?

I'll take him. Don't care if he's from Egypt.

One thing I respect about our coaches is that they are relentless when it comes to recruiting and I understand that there is a learning curve to understanding and playing SoFL politics, but I just hope this kid is not our Plan A DT. I understand all the accolades he is receiving but consider me a skeptic to his level of talent based on historical results out of NYC football All-Americans and highly touted NYC kids. As far as Leon Williams, here was his football resume before he stepped foot on campus. I know he had a decent game here and there but overall, based on his pre-UM resume I would have at least expected second or third team All Big East or All ACC.

Brooklyn Canarsie...dubbed by one publication as the best college football prospect in the New York City area in 25 years...Parade All-American...USA Today first-team All-American...Gatorade Player of the Year for the state of New York...recorded 98 tackles, 12 quarterback sacks, recovered four fumbles and intercepted three passes as a senior in 2000...played tight end during his junior season, catching 20 passes for 219 yards and three touchdowns...SuperPrep All-American and a member of SuperPrep's Elite 50 top national prospects...No. 27 prospect overall, regardless of position, in the nation by SuperPrep...No. 1 prospect overall in the state of New York by SuperPrep...timed at 4.55 in the 40-yard dash...coached by Mike Camardese.

I would assume Holley 2 or 3 on our list of DT's in this class. He's not a waste of time. Leon Williams may not have been an all-american here but kid was a decent football player. We just signed Gus edwards from up around there.

Have to agree with the previous that talked about the politics of South Florida recruiting, it makes getting OOS kids a priority more than maybe it should.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Consigliere, I completely understand that UM should recruit these players regardless of where they are, but NYC guys rarely seem to pan out. I mentioned Easley (Long Island) but besides him It's been quite some time since these guys made an impression at any program much less UM. I hope Holley commits to UM and is the real deal because we need the DTs, but if Moten, Clark or a any decent DT out of the SE wants to come to UM then give me these guys all day over the NYC football guys.

I don't know what to tell you.

In the end the HC will succeed or fail because these little battles (recruiting the NYC Area) add up.

I understand what you are saying, I just look at it as part of OOS recruiting in general.

http://www.databasefootball.com/players/player_bystate.htm?state=NY

I think it is easier to recruit a DT out of NY than FL. Less local competition there and South Florida has a desirable climate. The NE lacks athletes but not big boys. If he can handle the big boys up there, I think it is worth a shot.

Advertisement
I agree with everyone in this thread. lol

OP is correct in that the OVERALL TALENT LEVEL of Nu yak high skool football is subpar IMO. That said, there is individual talent everywhere. I liken it to taking a Florida or Texas kid who played lower level high school ball.

I thibk holley is the best player to come out of NY in a long time. golden and CO have to try and get him.

Easley is a really good football player and he puts every single of our dlineman in his back pocket... Ishaq Williams is doing good at ND and should be a beast this year

The difference is the number of player, NYC don't have a lot of great football player, so of course when 1 of them fail, it's easy to see. When a kid from Florida bust, there's 100 other highly rated kids waiting their turn to take his place while there's maybe 2-3 in NYC.

Holley looked good at The Opening against the best players in the country, so who cares where's from?

I trust the scouting of the staff. I don't think we are a staff that is just offering players off of stars and who else is offering, i think we are making our own Evals. Golden isn't flying coaches to NY because Notre Dame offered, its because his scouting has led him to believe this is a guy that can help.

I'm all for the staff reaching out and spreading the brand of UM. Some of our best players have been out of staters. If you can ball, I want us to be finding you if its in wyoming.

Advertisement
Back