Are There Any Members on the Board Who Can Be Proactive for Once?

CaneinBroward

Recruit
Does the Board of Trustees have an "Athletic Committee"? If not, it would be nice to see a commission be formed to review the Athletic Department. In reality, their job would be to find a replacement for Blake James on the down low. They need to be forward thinking and proactive. This would lead them to the conclusion that James' usefulness at Miami is done. James gets a lot of flack on here and deservedly so in most cases (although the personal shots at him and his family do go overboard at times). In any case, James' biggest flaw is his lack of success and effort in his coaching hires.

Most people on here seem to view administrators and coaches as good or bad, there is no gray area. However, in Blake's time here, he did do some good. Practice field improvements, weight room, facilities, and indoor practice field all occurred on his watch. By the way, there is nothing wrong with HRS as a facility. If the team is a winner, that place can get juiced like the OB in the day. If you were at the ND game in 2017, you know that place can get rocking when there is a team there worth getting excited about.

Now that the infrastructure is in place, it is important to get the coaches necessary to build the program. I'm not even talking just football, but basketball as well. Coach L has only so much time left either by age or his lack of success lately on the court. Blake simply has not shown the ability to take the bull by the horns and make a solid coaching hire. Frankly, he doesn't even put in the effort. When Golden was fired, he set up an entire committee to find a new coach (including Vilma, BOT members, and other Cane dignitaries) to make the coaching hire (Richt). Obviously, he didn't feel like he could take the responsibility himself. When Jim Morris retired, he hires DiMare who was on Morris' staff for 19 years. Richt retires, he hires Manny. He just phones it in.

This "committee" on the Board needs to do its research now. They need to find an AD that has greatly improved an athletics program at a lesser P5 school or a Group of 5 school. Someone who has made great coaching hires. Perhaps most importantly, the new AD needs to confident enough to follow his or her own vision. Don't try to please everyone all the time because then you'll never please anyone. I think part of Blake and Manny's downfalls as leaders are they listen to too many outside voices (especially those of us nutjobs on here). If it was up to us, Butch never would have had the chance to build the 2001 team.

Anyway, do the research and make the right AD hire as soon as possible because Manny is a dead man walking and Coach L will be leaving soon as well. These coaching hires need to be done correctly.

Advertisement
the bot better make Blake or whoever’s ad use a firm to conduct the search and go after A-listers only

Does the Board of Trustees have an "Athletic Committee"? If not, it would be nice to see a commission be formed to review the Athletic Department. In reality, their job would be to find a replacement for Blake James on the down low. They need to be forward thinking and proactive. This would lead them to the conclusion that James' usefulness at Miami is done. James gets a lot of flack on here and deservedly so in most cases (although the personal shots at him and his family do go overboard at times). In any case, James' biggest flaw is his lack of success and effort in his coaching hires.

Most people on here seem to view administrators and coaches as good or bad, there is no gray area. However, in Blake's time here, he did do some good. Practice field improvements, weight room, facilities, and indoor practice field all occurred on his watch. By the way, there is nothing wrong with HRS as a facility. If the team is a winner, that place can get juiced like the OB in the day. If you were at the ND game in 2017, you know that place can get rocking when there is a team there worth getting excited about.

Now that the infrastructure is in place, it is important to get the coaches necessary to build the program. I'm not even talking just football, but basketball as well. Coach L has only so much time left either by age or his lack of success lately on the court. Blake simply has not shown the ability to take the bull by the horns and make a solid coaching hire. Frankly, he doesn't even put in the effort. When Golden was fired, he set up an entire committee to find a new coach (including Vilma, BOT members, and other Cane dignitaries) to make the coaching hire (Richt). Obviously, he didn't feel like he could take the responsibility himself. When Jim Morris retired, he hires DiMare who was on Morris' staff for 19 years. Richt retires, he hires Manny. He just phones it in.

This "committee" on the Board needs to do its research now. They need to find an AD that has greatly improved an athletics program at a lesser P5 school or a Group of 5 school. Someone who has made great coaching hires. Perhaps most importantly, the new AD needs to confident enough to follow his or her own vision. Don't try to please everyone all the time because then you'll never please anyone. I think part of Blake and Manny's downfalls as leaders are they listen to too many outside voices (especially those of us nutjobs on here). If it was up to us, Butch never would have had the chance to build the 2001 team.

Anyway, do the research and make the right AD hire as soon as possible because Manny is a dead man walking and Coach L will be leaving soon as well. These coaching hires need to be done correctly.
Thats why you hire experienced coaches. Richt was an average coach but there is a reason he went 9 wins and 10 wins off rip. He had experience. Diaz problem is not that he listened to outside voices. Its that he has no idea how to build a team muchless a power 5 team that can win championships. Miami HC needs to have power 5 HC experience or high level NFL experience. We have had 3 learn on the job new HC, one very little HC experience at Temple and one burnt out average coach who was the best of the bunch. Every successful coach we had had serious experience, NFL guys like Howard and Butch and power 5 HC like Jimmy.

We should seriously search the NFL ranks imo. It has served us well. They are used to dealing with grown men and not worrying about if they are friends with the players

Advertisement

Letting Blake James hire a coach is like letting Attila the Hun hire the preacher.

'Bout as smart as sitting behind an off-balance, cross-eyed discus thrower.

I always wonder when we switch HC's in football, do we consult JJ???? everyone else in the sport seems to pick his brain
yet i do not hear of JJ being consulted on hires..... he bleeds orange & Green.....
need money close down Donn's vanity project U health costing us a ez 7 figures in a losses year

I always wonder when we switch HC's in football, do we consult JJ???? everyone else in the sport seems to pick his brain
yet i do not hear of JJ being consulted on hires..... he bleeds orange & Green.....
need money close down Donn's vanity project U health costing us a ez 7 figures in a losses year
Don't know if we consult him but he liked the Shannon, Golden, and Manny hires so maybe he's not much help.

Advertisement
The Board is well aware of the situation at the AD. They are also well aware that UM's President does not care about athletics, and if it was up to him, would likely cut their budget even more. The BOT Chair is a proactive person that does not like Frenk, and that is no secret amongst those involved in the conversation. I do not see Frenk coming back to UM. University ranking has dropped, fund raising is nothing special, etc. Frenk wanted to use UM as a stepping stone for the Harvard job and that wont happen anymore.

I expect Manny to make it to November and then be dismissed. I do not see Blake being fired. He is well liked and has done a decent job in fund raising.

The Board is well aware of the situation at the AD. They are also well aware that UM's President does not care about athletics, and if it was up to him, would likely cut their budget even more. The BOT Chair is a proactive person that does not like Frenk, and that is no secret amongst those involved in the conversation. I do not see Frenk coming back to UM. University ranking has dropped, fund raising is nothing special, etc. Frenk wanted to use UM as a stepping stone for the Harvard job and that wont happen anymore.

I expect Manny to make it to November and then be dismissed. I do not see Blake being fired. He is well liked and has done a decent job in fund raising.

Not disputing your info, but "has done a decent job in fund raising" is simply not true. What is it going to take for the BOT to see that? I get the "well-liked" part, Blake has spent over a decade cultivating contacts with the well-heeled, but the fund-raising is nothing special. And even if some Trustees thought his fund-raising WAS "decent", why wouldn't they upgrade to "average" or "slightly above average" or even, and I know this sounds crazy, but "GREAT"? Honestly, why do they think fund-raising could possibly decline under a new AD? That is the most "abused girlfriend" mentality I have ever heard.

Advertisement
Not disputing your info, but "has done a decent job in fund raising" is simply not true. What is it going to take for the BOT to see that? I get the "well-liked" part, Blake has spent over a decade cultivating contacts with the well-heeled, but the fund-raising is nothing special. And even if some Trustees thought his fund-raising WAS "decent", why wouldn't they upgrade to "average" or "slightly above average" or even, and I know this sounds crazy, but "GREAT"? Honestly, why do they think fund-raising could possibly decline under a new AD? That is the most "abused girlfriend" mentality I have ever heard.

I dont disagree with you, and I am not a Blake fan. But that is what I was told by people that talk to BOT. At least that is the way they see it.

Advertisement
Back