Are the answers already on the staff?

BWCD

Junior
Is there a scenario anyone can see where either Thomas Brown/Donk Dugans could be the answer as a playcaller? They're Co-OC's at the moment. I think we're all in pretty much agreement that Richt calling plays is the main issue (along with replacing Perry w/Rosier)...but are Brown/Dugans at least capable if given the reins, but not in a position to really do anything since Richt won't let go of the playcalling duties?

We're not going to see a wholesale scenario where we fire one of Patke/J. Richt over the bye week and bring in an OC...that's a pipe dream. So...if we're looking at realistic changes...could anyone see the scenario where Richt gives the playcalling duties to either Brown/Dugans, and we turn this thing around after the bye week?

I know Brown is a Richt disciple from his playing days at UGA, so that may not be the answer we want. Dugans played for Richt at FSU, sure, but it's not like his coaching career has been tied to Richt like Brown's has been - could make him be a little more willing to challenge Richt on offensive schemes/playcalls. On the flip side though - maybe Brown being a little younger makes him have some more dynamic ideas than what Dugans might have.

I don't know the answer to these questions - just tossing this out there as something that is realistic and possible at this point in time as opposed to firing Richt and making wholesale staff changes. Thoughts?

Advertisement
I would like to see a competent offensive line first. So perhaps we start with that coach.

Would coach Brown and/or Donk calling plays from their own playbook, or would they be using Milk Toasts play leaflet?

I don't think anyone great is gonna happen like hiring kendall briles but if richt starts out by firing Searles then it shows he actually dooes want to win and is not just helping out old buddies

Advertisement
Back