Are Lingard and Etienne comparable?

It's not an indictment on him but I also thought I read reports from spring saying that he was more of a straight line runner. I don't care if he does or doesn't have some shake to him, I was just trying to draw a comparison. All I care about is that he balls out because his recruitment was very similar to Duke. Lingard was ALL CANE, and I thank him for that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's not an indictment on him but I also thought I read reports from spring saying that he was more of a straight line runner. I don't care if he does or doesn't have some shake to him, I was just trying to draw a comparison. I just care that he balls out because his recruitment was very similar to Duke. Lingard was ALL CANE, and I thank him for that.

It’s not a knock, it’s a style. I prefer one cut , straight line guys. They rarely miss holes and run physical. It’s nice if a kid has both but it’s ok to have different styles on the depth chart. DD and Cam have more wiggle, TH and Gawd are straight line, one cut dudes.

Until he develops on the college level, I think it is premature to compare him to other college and/or NFL players. All we know about Lingard, is what he did in high school and in the spring, when he should have still been in high school.

Brown is an excellent RB coach and Gus is an excellent S&C coach. Once he has gone through a full season with the proper college coaching and weight training, we will know a lot more regarding how he projects as an RB.

With that being said, he is the next Walter Payton. Lol

Nah, wiggle is very legit. There’s plenty of straight line runners without “wiggle” or shake “. Like Homer, he’s a one cut , straight line runner without much wiggle. Dallas has great wiggle but doesn’t get straight line like homer.

It’s more than a cliche. Just like a guy playing “stiff”.

Agreed. A RB with wiggle is one who is elusive, dances around, jukes the defender, makes him miss. The ultimate RB for wiggle was probably Barry Sanders. Gale Sayers also would be one of the best. Walter Payton also.

Hm, ok.
That doesn’t address the first question that I had but alright, your opinion.

To answer your question, no you don’t have to wait to have an opinion, it’s a message board. All opinions are welcome, as are contrarian opinions.

I just don’t put stock in how someone did something in high school vs how I project them if it’s already known they have huge talent.

For example, Lingard was probably so much more talented than the defenders he was mostly bullying in high school, I doubt he was ever reaching deep into his bag of tricks.

College is a different ballgame, he’s not getting chased or tackled by 5’7” 150 lb linebackers with 5.5 speed. He’s going to have to work harder and learn to be a college running back. Which by all accounts he is. So I personally think it’s shallow and foolish to pigeonhole him any which way until I’ve actually seen him develop over time against tough competition.

I don’t know what kind of running back he’s going to be, I just know he’s going to be fast...and probably really really good.

He’s only 17/18, there’s stuff he can do that he doesn’t even know he can do. College will squeeze a lot of those things out of him, in a good way.

Advertisement
Agreed. A RB with wiggle is one who is elusive, dances around, jukes the defender, makes him miss. The ultimate RB for wiggle was probably Barry Sanders. Gale Sayers also would be one of the best. Walter Payton also.

How many “dancing” running backs have we seen in the orange and green?

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone brought out the “dancing”, “juking around” card.

The fact is very few successful rb’s dance and juke around. Barry Sanders examples are null and void. There was only one Barry Sanders. How many RBs have you seen successfully reverse the field as often as he did. I’ll tell you. It hardly ever happens.

This “wiggle” stuff is just plain silly. There are just some very specific skills that some running backs employ.

For example, Duke Johnson and the jump cut (mentioned earlier in the thread). Duke did that very well to change direction or angle, or momentarily freeze a defender. That’s a very specific skill. That’s not “wiggle”

Duke was also very adept at using his blockers while cutting inside or outside, depending on what he saw in front of him. Again, more specific skill sets, not Duke wiggling his hips and making defenders miss. Not Duke “shaking and baking”

“Wiggle” - LOL silly talk.

Last edited:
To answer your question, no you don’t have to wait to have an opinion, it’s a message board. All opinions are welcome, as are contrarian opinions.

I just don’t put stock in how someone did something in high school vs how I project them if it’s already known they have huge talent.

For example, Lingard was probably so much more talented than the defenders he was mostly bullying in high school, I doubt he was ever reaching deep into his bag of tricks.

College is a different ballgame, he’s not getting chased or tackled by 5’7” 150 lb linebackers with 5.5 speed. He’s going to have to work harder and learn to be a college running back. Which by all accounts he is. So I personally think it’s shallow and foolish to pigeonhole him any which way until I’ve actually seen him develop over time against tough competition.

I don’t know what kind of running back he’s going to be, I just know he’s going to be fast...and probably really really good.

He’s only 17/18, there’s stuff he can do that he doesn’t even know he can do. College will squeeze a lot of those things out of him, in a good way.

Good point, completely understood.

Lingard gets yardage quickly and efficiently.

He reminds me of a smaller Eric ****erson coming out of high school....hits hole quickly. cuts and go as hard and fast as you can.

I remember in TX many thought ED wouldn't be as effective in college at SMU or in the NFL but speed kills...outstanding speed + power is very hard to stop

I think he'll do fine

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back