Off-Topic Archeological Finds

Advertisement
What has been your latest discovery?
IMG_4598.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Any finds in this area? Calosahatchee River have anything of value? Or is it more northwards towards Central Florida that's the better area to find artifacts?
Northward.....there's not much Lithic wise from Sarasota southward. Mostly shell, bone, and Pottery. The cutoff is pretty much Sarasota Northward. Best areas are in North Central Fl....Polk, Alachua, Levy, Hernando counties...etc...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Considering getting a pole mounted light (Mini Swamp Eye ... soft white light) along with a small underwater camera to do some checking of the St Johns River along Hontoon Island and Lake Beresford using my Boston Whaler. Ever pull anything interesting out of that area? (besides gators and water moccasins!!).

2 Agatized Coral Points. Both Middle Archaic about 6,000yrs old. (Both Soaking in Mineral Oil) the one on the right is Striated Coral, meaning the Indian went with the grain (easier for them to knap a point) the one to the left was Knapped against the grain, you can see the little Coral Starbursts/Polyps when you enlarge the Pic. The Mineral Oil inhances the true colors, and cuts through thousands of yrs of Hazy Patina.
20200610_202131.jpg

Advertisement
@JD08 @SpikeUM @Rickd Not really Archaeological in a sense, but cool nonetheless. I'm moving to Sarasota next week. And I figured it'd be a good time to go on one more Arrowhead/Indian Artifact hunt near the St. John's River before the move. I have a friend who lives close to Jacksonville. Together we've found incredible stuff, most notably in Palatka (Pea Creek) throughout the yrs. Yesterday he took me to Green Cove Springs, about 20mins north of Palatka. We ended up walking up to this old wooden dock, that had an incredible view of the Springs. Come to find out. This Dock in the pics is where Ronnie Van Zant basically wrote Sweet Home Alabama and other Lynyrd Skynyrd songs. Supposedly not only was he an avid fisherman, but this was his favorite spot to fish at if not in a boat. There were several people (Locals) close by who also confirmed the story. Thought it was pretty cool.
FB_IMG_1680576623329.jpg
FB_IMG_1680576462815.jpg

Advertisement
Back