Aranda not worth that kind of $$

Cane01

Redshirt Freshman
I like Aranda and would prefer him to Diaz, but the money he got at LSU is a huge overpay IMO. Here are his results at Wisconsin. Basically the teams that should score points, did against his defense. He has gotten away without playing Michigan and Michigan State all three years. Only played PSU and OSU once each in the regular season. They got destroyed by OSU in the Big 10 championship game once as well. Those are the 4 most talented teams in the Big 10. That is Wisconsin's measuring stick, not Purdue, Rutgers, Indiana. Also, has not done well against the SEC. SEC teams are averaged 32 points and 435 yards in the 4 games. SEC teams ran for a lot of yds vs his scheme. Again, he's good but not elite IMO.

Arizona St. 468 yds, 32 points
Ohio St. 390 yds, 31 points
Illinois 391 yds, 32 points
Penn St. 465 yds, 31 points
South Carolina 438 yds, 34 points

LSU 365 yds, 28 points
Iowa 412 yds, 24 points
Ohio St. 558 yds, 59 points
Auburn 435 yds, 31 points

Alabama 502 yds, 35 points

Advertisement
Advertisement
If you wouldn't pay a few extra hundred thousand to be in the NC playoffs, then you are just not that serious about winning.

All athletic salaries are insane these days. If my choices are: $1M per year, No Aranda and we get Diaz, or
$1.3M per year, we get Aranda and LSU gets Diaz...
then he's worth the extra $300k per year to be here.

I like Aranda and would prefer him to Diaz, but the money he got at LSU is a huge overpay IMO. Here are his results at Wisconsin. Basically the teams that should score points, did against his defense. He has gotten away without playing Michigan and Michigan State all three years. Only played PSU and OSU once each in the regular season. They got destroyed by OSU in the Big 10 championship game once as well. Those are the 4 most talented teams in the Big 10. That is Wisconsin's measuring stick, not Purdue, Rutgers, Indiana. Also, has not done well against the SEC. SEC teams are averaged 32 points and 435 yards in the 4 games. SEC teams ran for a lot of yds vs his scheme. Again, he's good but not elite IMO.

Arizona St. 468 yds, 32 points
Ohio St. 390 yds, 31 points
Illinois 391 yds, 32 points
Penn St. 465 yds, 31 points
South Carolina 438 yds, 34 points

LSU 365 yds, 28 points
Iowa 412 yds, 24 points
Ohio St. 558 yds, 59 points
Auburn 435 yds, 31 points

Alabama 502 yds, 35 points

I agree with the OP, 100% and I argued this the last two days. His defenses got fat off the weaklings in conference and OOC, but his defenses were shredded by any team with an offensive pulse. I was praying we didn't hire him

I think he's a better version of Dorito, and that's it. LSU is going to regret paying him that kind of coin

Advertisement
Wisconsin had a top 12 defense both seasons BEFORE he got there.

Utah state has had an equally good defense AFTER he left

Obviously wish we got him but don't think he's the god many believe him to be

Also I swear even if we got Diaz. These same complainers on Diaz would be saying stuff like.. But but but.. He lost 59-0 to Ohio state in the big 10 champ game... He hasn't played any legit competition (which is true)

Also to be taken into account is how much protection Wisconsin's dominant time of possession offense affords their defense. Wisconsin has been ranked 4th, 6th and 5th in the country in TOP the last 3 years.

Why go after Aranda, we should have hired a guy who finished in the top 15 in total defense in 2014.

2014 FBS (I-A) College Football Team Statistics Leaders for Total - ESPN

Oh wait, that guy is Mark D'Onofrio. Stats are completely misleading, especially if you feast on weak teams. Paying Aranda in the 1.5-1.6 million (his salary apparently has escalators that could move it north of 1.3 mil) is a bad investment. Take that saved money and hire better assistants and position coaches, that makes a d coordinator's job a **** of a lot easier. Aranda priced himself out of contention- move on to the next guy on the list. Now you have a DC who comes from the best football conference who almost certainly is plugged into S.Fl recruiting, at least moreso than a guy from Wisconsin. That's not bad hiring by Richt or cheapness on the part of UM, that's called smart business.

Is there a salary cap on coaching salaries? If not and that's what it takes to attract the best in the business, then he's worth the money.

Advertisement
No one is worth that kinda coin, IMHO, BUT that's the going rate nowadays. U either play or get left behind. Now, knowing or HEARING that we offered $1 million to Aranda, I would be a little miffed if we gave Manny that kinda cash! Anyone kno what we offered him?

Dude, are you serious right now?

I'll eat my own words, just read that his salary STARTS at 1.3 and is going to increase for each of the 3 years he is under contract. That's a lot of coin...

Still think Aranda is the goods, but don't think our program can pay him that until we start generating some real money.

Advertisement
Aranda is a good DC but the 1.3mil is LSU attempting to demonstrate their commitment to winning. His contract is not tied to Miles job status either.

If a guy gets that kind of coin then apparently he is worth it. That being said, if this was 2013 and all he showed was a #73 and #82 total defense at Hawaii and #15 at Utah State no one would want him. He is good, will probably be a head coach within 2 years and do well. There are other good coaches though.

Advertisement
Back