Anyone that's defended McCoy

the combination of SJ, RR, and Buchanan is just bad. There’s probably more ways they can tweak the OL rotation to make it better, but Meriweather, Buchanan, and Congdon rotating at guard looked a lot better.
Exactly. The interior is much more in need of adjustments than Tackle. Playing musical chairs with 4 of the five starters isn’t smart. Let’s get the interior straightened out then go from there. With 66, 65 and 76 inside leaves too much of a liability with power and size. Not sure how they thought SJ was an answer at guard , there’s just no length , leverage or power there to move anyone.
 
No actually it’s mostly been questioning why he wasn’t just left at OT from spring. Now at this point the die has been cast and he is unlikely to play any OT this season…
My gripe was about the perceived awful job that McCoy's been doing at RT based on a few penalties in a blowout throwaway game.

But I agree with you about Cantwell playing guard. Congdon appears natural there but Cantwell played OT all spring while Samson was out, and it's a little odd that Cantwell is now back at OT and Meriweather is now a guard. It likely should have been that way since camp but we're not in a bad spot if Cantwell and Congdon are the first two off the bench (until Congdon eventually takes over at LG, if he hasn't already).

Feels like Meriweather will supplant SJ altogether in the guard pecking order, and SJ can focus on becoming the backup center since Woodrow fell off the face of the earth.
 
I’m not gonna read all that nonsense. The post that I first responded to of yours, you said that Cantwell should be our left tackle and I’m telling you that’s a bunch of ******* nonsense! Sampson is our left tackle and he might be the best left tackle in the country. End of story weirdo!
People wanting this are out of their **** minds. He’s not ready to be thrown out there and Pancake has been the best OL which makes it even more idiotic to mess with the chemistry of the most important OL spot. On top of that nobody should want a Fr protecting your most valuable asset. RT ? Sure, but game five isn’t when you start just blowing up the OL. Let’s get the interior fixed then things will suddenly look much better.
 
Last edited:
I’m not gonna read all that nonsense. The post that I first responded to of yours, you said that Cantwell should be our left tackle and I’m telling you that’s a bunch of ******* nonsense! Sampson is our left tackle and he might be the best left tackle in the country. End of story weirdo!
You’re legit a moron…Go back to arguing with Wiley’s dad
 
My gripe was about the perceived awful job that McCoy's been doing at RT based on a few penalties in a blowout throwaway game.

But I agree with you about Cantwell playing guard. Congdon appears natural there but Cantwell played OT all spring while Samson was out, and it's a little odd that Cantwell is now back at OT and Meriweather is now a guard. It likely should have been that way since camp but we're not in a bad spot if Cantwell and Congdon are the first two off the bench (until Congdon eventually takes over at LG, if he hasn't already).

Feels like Meriweather will supplant SJ altogether in the guard pecking order, and SJ can focus on becoming the backup center since Woodrow fell off the face of the earth.
Ay man if you believe SJ is actually going to lose Reps at Guard… I do not share your hopefullness there…
 
People wanting this are of their **** minds. He’s not ready to be thrown out there and Pancake has been the best OL which makes it even more idiotic to mess with the chemistry of the most important OL spot. On top of that nobody should want a Fr protecting your most valuable asset. RT ? Sure, but game five isn’t when you start just blowing up the OL. Let’s get the interior fixed then things will suddenly look much better.
Who are these people? Are they in the room with us now?
 
People wanting this are of their **** minds. He’s not ready to be thrown out there and Pancake has been the best OL which makes it even more idiotic to mess with the chemistry of the most important OL spot. On top of that nobody should want a Fr protecting your most valuable asset. RT ? Sure, but game five isn’t when you start just blowing up the OL. Let’s get the interior fixed then things will suddenly look much better.
@Calinative
1790625358709.gif
 
I’m not gonna read all that nonsense. The post that I first responded to of yours, you said that Cantwell should be our left tackle and I’m telling you that’s a bunch of ******* nonsense! Sampson is our left tackle and he might be the best left tackle in the country. End of story weirdo!
People wanting this are of their **** minds. He’s not ready to be thrown out there and Pancake has been the best OL which makes it even more idiotic to mess with the chemistry of the most important OL spot. On top of that nobody should want a Fr protecting your most valuable asset. RT ? Sure, but game five isn’t when you start just blowing up the OL. Let’s get the interior fixed then things will suddenly look much better.
Starting line for notre dame in your opinion is ? Samson, Ben, Rod, McCoy, Cantwell?
 
Starting line for notre dame in your opinion is ? Samson, Ben, Rod, McCoy, Cantwell?
Imo best potential long term for post season
63, 58, 76, 78, 79
Most realistic currently
63, 58, 76, 66 or 71 , 78

I don’t think the staff wants to start messing with tackle since there’s issues inside. If 78 slides back inside it’ll be there’s just no better options, a sign they’re desperate. I’ve been saying this for weeks but I get them not wanting to blow everything up and playing musical chairs. The one thing I’ve noticed is 78 doesn’t look natural at Tackle, he looks to be thinking rather than playing because he’s not sure of himself. Which is concerning.
 
Last edited:
Can you help then with the reasoning why Cantwell wasn’t at tackle to begin with? Seems this first month he could have gotten a lot of valuable reps at tackle and it was an opportunity missed. Mario and Alex are the best in the biz but it seems like they underestimated someone on the line whether that was Samson or McCoy to take a hold of that tackle spot
Number one I'm going to pacify this statement saying I don't know your football background or knowledge. So I'll just say it like I would most people with the assumption they don't understand the bigger picture. From what I've seen of your post before and what I remember I think you do have a little bit of football knowledge so I simply clarify. The problem with fans making assumptions that seem to be logical is there not looking at the bigger picture. Like I tried to explain to people last year when we knew we were going to be losing virtually our entire offensive line minus one person from the starters and we didn't know what we were replacing with them with in particular the simple logic was we're going to have four new starters and more than likely five new starters if you consider whether or not they were playing their positions then you have to realize the volatility that we're dealing with from snap to snap. And offensive line becomes good as a unit with reps with time that's not one camp that's years. Which is exactly why last season was so good. They had so much time together. Now you look at it as we have an entirely new offensive line yet we still have an almost 50 million dollar roster. We have a quarterback who is one of our bigger investments and that our season is dependent upon. Now how is it that you would deal with that if the decision was on your hands? Do you take the bookend left tackle of the future who has zero reps who has issues with his mechanics and say this is our time to work this all out so that the future of our team is in the best hands possible which also more than likely means you're going to struggle quite a bit inside of this season or do you just simply try and make pieces mesh where you can? I think the logic is simple with the approach that Mario took. As I've seen several people on here clarify before just because dmoney or somebody else talks about how great someone's looks inside of spring camp where there's no scheme applied doesn't make it accurate especially when most of them see things in small windows. Jackson struggled mightily throughout spring camp and fall he's certainly had his moments where you can see his future is amazing. CC was no different when he was a freshman either. He had issues all throughout camp. But you have to see the difference in where we were as a team at that time opposed to where we are as a team now. We didn't have expectations then we didn't have a roster then we weren't somebody that's capable of winning a national championship. The timing of that was very different from the timing of this. So while the future of our team says it would be great if we could count on Jackson at right tackle the logic is we can't just yet that's why he's getting reps in now with limited responsibility. I know I said a whole lot of s*** here just to get this point across and I'm sorry for anyone that took the time to read it all
 
Number one I'm going to pacify this statement saying I don't know your football background or knowledge. So I'll just say it like I would most people with the assumption they don't understand the bigger picture. From what I've seen of your post before and what I remember I think you do have a little bit of football knowledge so I simply clarify. The problem with fans making assumptions that seem to be logical is there not looking at the bigger picture. Like I tried to explain to people last year when we knew we were going to be losing virtually our entire offensive line minus one person from the starters and we didn't know what we were replacing with them with in particular the simple logic was we're going to have four new starters and more than likely five new starters if you consider whether or not they were playing their positions then you have to realize the volatility that we're dealing with from snap to snap. And offensive line becomes good as a unit with reps with time that's not one camp that's years. Which is exactly why last season was so good. They had so much time together. Now you look at it as we have an entirely new offensive line yet we still have an almost 50 million dollar roster. We have a quarterback who is one of our bigger investments and that our season is dependent upon. Now how is it that you would deal with that if the decision was on your hands? Do you take the bookend left tackle of the future who has zero reps who has issues with his mechanics and say this is our time to work this all out so that the future of our team is in the best hands possible which also more than likely means you're going to struggle quite a bit inside of this season or do you just simply try and make pieces mesh where you can? I think the logic is simple with the approach that Mario took. As I've seen several people on here clarify before just because dmoney or somebody else talks about how great someone's looks inside of spring camp where there's no scheme applied doesn't make it accurate especially when most of them see things in small windows. Jackson struggled mightily throughout spring camp and fall he's certainly had his moments where you can see his future is amazing. CC was no different when he was a freshman either. He had issues all throughout camp. But you have to see the difference in where we were as a team at that time opposed to where we are as a team now. We didn't have expectations then we didn't have a roster then we weren't somebody that's capable of winning a national championship. The timing of that was very different from the timing of this. So while the future of our team says it would be great if we could count on Jackson at right tackle the logic is we can't just yet that's why he's getting reps in now with limited responsibility. I know I said a whole lot of s*** here just to get this point across and I'm sorry for anyone that took the time to read it all
100% and I couldn’t have said it better myself. End of the day, cantwell just isn’t ready yet. But the future is bright for him.
 
Can you help then with the reasoning why Cantwell wasn’t at tackle to begin with? Seems this first month he could have gotten a lot of valuable reps at tackle and it was an opportunity missed. Mario and Alex are the best in the biz but it seems like they underestimated someone on the line whether that was Samson or McCoy to take a hold of that tackle spot
Number one I'm going to pacify this statement saying I don't know your football background or knowledge. So I'll just say it like I would most people with the assumption they don't understand the bigger picture. From what I've seen of your post before and what I remember I think you do have a little bit of football knowledge so I simply clarify. The problem with fans making assumptions that seem to be logical is there not looking at the bigger picture. Like I tried to explain to people last year when we knew we were going to be losing virtually our entire offensive line minus one person from the starters and we didn't know what we were replacing with them with in particular the simple logic was we're going to have four new starters and more than likely five new starters if you consider whether or not they were playing their positions then you have to realize the volatility that we're dealing with from snap to snap. And offensive line becomes good as a unit with reps with time that's not one camp that's years. Which is exactly why last season was so good. They had so much time together. Now you look at it as we have an entirely new offensive line yet we still have an almost 50 million dollar roster. We have a quarterback who is one of our bigger investments and that our season is dependent upon. Now how is it that you would deal with that if the decision was on your hands? Do you take the bookend left tackle of the future who has zero reps who has issues with his mechanics and say this is our time to work this all out so that the future of our team is in the best hands possible which also more than likely means you're going to struggle quite a bit inside of this season or do you just simply try and make pieces mesh where you can? I think the logic is simple with the approach that Mario took. As I've seen several people on here clarify before just because dmoney or somebody else talks about how great someone's looks inside of spring camp where there's no scheme applied doesn't make it accurate especially when most of them see things in small windows. Jackson struggled mightily throughout spring camp and fall he's certainly had his moments where you can see his future is amazing. CC was no different when he was a freshman either. He had issues all throughout camp. But you have to see the difference in where we were as a team at that time opposed to where we are as a team now. We didn't have expectations then we didn't have a roster then we weren't somebody that's capable of winning a national championship. The timing of that was very different from the timing of this. So while the future of our team says it would be great if we could count on Jackson at right tackle the logic is we can't just yet that's why he's getting reps in now with limited responsibility. I know I said a whole lot of s*** here just to get this point across and I'm sorry for anyone that took the time to read it all
Haha thanks my man, appreciate the insight. The greentree all American thing we all need to take with a grain of salt.

I guess I was hoping this first month cantwell woulda gotten more reps at tackle against the lesser teams incase god forbid we have an injury and he’s forced into action. For his own future and ours as a team, think it was an opportunity missed. But I realize these coaches would run laps around us all in terms of building a team and specifically an OL
 
The thing that baffles me with SJ is he gets beat so much for Quickness, usually smaller players are quick. So if he is not quick and is small, what is his upside?
 
Haha thanks my man, appreciate the insight. The greentree all American thing we all need to take with a grain of salt.

I guess I was hoping this first month cantwell woulda gotten more reps at tackle against the lesser teams incase god forbid we have an injury and he’s forced into action. For his own future and ours as a team, think it was an opportunity missed. But I realize these coaches would run laps around us all in terms of building a team and specifically an OL
The key is realizing even these lesser teams have athletes capable of ending our season with one unaccounted for blitz. Just think of that hit nickel took on Saturday. More than likely he had a concussion right there. That's honestly best case scenario in situations like that. In an ideal world we wouldn't have lost the entire offensive line from last season. We lose two or three guys instead of the entire line, you could afford to throw him in there because you already know who you can count on and where. This instance you got a veteran in McCoy who was the lone weakness to the last several years olines starting units & you got Samson with limited reps who's been a backup at guard. Nothing else is known but it's our only way to move forward. Trial by fire.
 
Number one I'm going to pacify this statement saying I don't know your football background or knowledge. So I'll just say it like I would most people with the assumption they don't understand the bigger picture. From what I've seen of your post before and what I remember I think you do have a little bit of football knowledge so I simply clarify. The problem with fans making assumptions that seem to be logical is they're not looking at the bigger picture. Like I tried to explain to people last year when we knew we were going to be losing virtually our entire offensive line minus one person from the starters and we didn't know what we were replacing with them with in particular the simple logic was we're going to have four new starters and more than likely five new starters if you consider whether or not they were playing their positions then you have to realize the volatility that we're dealing with from snap to snap. And offensive line becomes good as a unit with reps with time that's not one camp that's years. Which is exactly why last season was so good. They had so much time together. Now you look at it as we have an entirely new offensive line yet we still have an almost 50 million dollar roster. We have a quarterback who is one of our bigger investments and that our season is dependent upon. Now how is it that you would deal with that if the decision was on your hands? Do you take the bookend left tackle of the future who has zero reps who has issues with his mechanics and say this is our time to work this all out so that the future of our team is in the best hands possible which also more than likely means you're going to struggle quite a bit inside of this season or do you just simply try and make pieces mesh where you can? I think the logic is simple with the approach that Mario took. As I've seen several people on here clarify before just because dmoney or somebody else talks about how great someone's looks inside of spring camp where there's no scheme applied doesn't make it accurate especially when most of them see things in small windows. Jackson struggled mightily throughout spring camp and fall he's certainly had his moments where you can see his future is amazing. CC was no different when he was a freshman either. He had issues all throughout camp. But you have to see the difference in where we were as a team at that time opposed to where we are as a team now. We didn't have expectations then we didn't have a roster then we weren't somebody that's capable of winning a national championship. The timing of that was very different from the timing of this. So while the future of our team says it would be great if we could count on Jackson at right tackle the logic is we can't just yet that's why he's getting reps in now with limited responsibility. I know I said a whole lot of s*** here just to get this point across and I'm sorry for anyone that took the time to read it all

This. +10000

There are knock on effects that sometimes ... (sh$t, pretty much all of the time) ... coaches understand that fans simply can't see, because there is MASSIVE information asymmetry that goes beyond what is shown on the All-22. It sounds like a trite excuse, but that's the reality.

I saw multiple spring and fall practices, and there is no doubt that Cantwell (and Congden) have off the charts upside. But the reality is, neither one of them was ready to play tackle ahead of either Samson or McCoy. And that's me observing without the benefit of the aforementioned information disparity, which clearly adds to the complexity and nuance of the decision making.

The calculus is much more intricate than, "let's just kick McCoy inside because we need to get Cantwell on the field, and fix our interior line deficiencies." Could it happen? Sure, anything is possible. But if it happens, it probably won't be for the reasons (or on the timeline) that fans expect.
 
Back
Top