anyone plugged in with high school baseball?

This is extremely misleading, because all of those guys are there watching one elite player on that one field, probably a pitcher. The other 1500 kids in the tournament paid $3,000 to play travel ball and most of them won't be contacted by a single school. That's where the relationship with a solid high school coach comes in. The high school coach, who actually knows the kid, can help establish relationships with smaller schools that didn't happen to see the kid play in a travel ball tournament.

Just this spring I saw Kevin O'Sullivan, St Leo's staff, USF's staff, several JUCO coaches, and several northern coaches in the RussMatt Invitational show up at high school games.

If we're fair to gogeta here, we have to stop advising him as though he's trying to find a place for Carlos Correa to play.

If you've ever been to that tournament in Jupiter, you would know that there are over 1000 scouts there (all MLB teams, D1, D2, D3, JUCO, NAIA, etc.), and they are not looking at just one kid. There are 88 teams that play over 5 days. They are looking at all talent abilities, not just top draft picks. You cannot get this kind of exposure anywhere else.

The RussMat Invitational is one of the biggest spring break tournaments in the state of florida. It is during spring break when college coaches can get away for a day or 2 to recruit, and it is a tournament so they can see a ton of possible recruits at one time. It is rare to see a college coach at a regular high school game that isn't a tournament or between 2 powerhouse programs.

The school I coach at had 4 division 1 players, and all 4 guys were seen by these schools in the summer and the fall playing for their respective travel teams. They all were recruited through their travel coach/organization, not high school. Can the high school coach help? Absolutely, and they are often contacted for more info on a kid. A good high school coach is obviously not a bad thing, but getting with the right travel organization with the right connections is more important.

Advertisement
There was a player a few years ago who came over here from the Bahamas and played with Elite Squad. He was very raw, but had unbelievable athleticism/upside, and was seen on the travel ball circuit, not at a high school field. Luicius Fox ended up signing for 6 million dollars with the San Francisco Giants. Pretty cool story below (with a Roger Tomas reference for Canes fans).

6 Million Dollar Man: The Lucius Fox Story – Elite Squad Baseball

If you've ever been to that tournament in Jupiter, you would know that there are over 1000 scouts there (all MLB teams, D1, D2, D3, JUCO, NAIA, etc.), and they are not looking at just one kid. There are 88 teams that play over 5 days. They are looking at all talent abilities, not just top draft picks. You cannot get this kind of exposure anywhere else.

If you perform during those five days AND your skill set matches up with the level and needs of someone who happens to see you AND it fits your personal situation regarding finances, location, and major, then you can find an opportunity at the next level. For the majority of kids who spent money to play travel ball, they could have ended up with the same opportunity by paying $300 to go to that school's camp. For the top-level kids, yes, travel ball is a necessity. But most high school players (and their parents) have been brainwashed into believing that "you have to play travel ball to be seen!!" Outside of the few top-notch programs, most travel ball organizations are happy to take your money and let you continue to believe that.

The RussMat Invitational is one of the biggest spring break tournaments in the state of florida. It is during spring break when college coaches can get away for a day or 2 to recruit, and it is a tournament so they can see a ton of possible recruits at one time. It is rare to see a college coach at a regular high school game that isn't a tournament or between 2 powerhouse programs.

RussMatt is a college event, not a high school event. I think you misread what I wrote.

The school I coach at had 4 division 1 players, and all 4 guys were seen by these schools in the summer and the fall playing for their respective travel teams. They all were recruited through their travel coach/organization, not high school. Can the high school coach help? Absolutely, and they are often contacted for more info on a kid. A good high school coach is obviously not a bad thing, but getting with the right travel organization with the right connections is more important.

That's great for those four kids, and I have no doubt that many elite players get their offers in the summer. But most high school players in Florida aren't going D1. The high school coach can help guide the other kids without letting them hope that the right coach is standing there at the right time at the East Coast 2018 17U Elite Round Robin Championships.

If you perform during those five days AND your skill set matches up with the level and needs of someone who happens to see you AND it fits your personal situation regarding finances, location, and major, then you can find an opportunity at the next level. For the majority of kids who spent money to play travel ball, they could have ended up with the same opportunity by paying $300 to go to that school's camp. For the top-level kids, yes, travel ball is a necessity. But most high school players (and their parents) have been brainwashed into believing that "you have to play travel ball to be seen!!" Outside of the few top-notch programs, most travel ball organizations are happy to take your money and let you continue to believe that. QUOTE]

There are some very bad travel organizations out there, who are ready to take your money and run. It is definitely important to do your homework on what kind of team you're playing for. Also, if you don't have the skill set or talents, you're better off training all summer and fall until you have the acutal skills to showcase. You are 100% right.

There are a few really good organizations that do it the right way and connect players with programs they fit with. If you can get placed with a good organization with connections, it will make the recruiting process so much easier.

I will say that going to a school's camp is only beneficial if their is legitimate mutual interest and a coach personally invites you to the camp (not a mass email sort of thing). Otherwise, you are wasting your $. This mutual interest can come from them seeing you at one of these tournaments.

The success stories of the top players getting offers after summer tournaments is putting a false sense of hope in all of the other players. It's like the people who are telling EVERY kid to focus on launch angle because "Mookie Betts is only 5'9"!! Look at his power!!", and the result is a bunch of 5'9" high school players flying out to center.

Advertisement
Also, if you don't have the skill set or talents, you're better off training all summer and fall until you have the acutal skills to showcase.

Honestly, though, sometimes a kid just is who he is, and he will never be noticed by anyone at any showcase. But that kid still might have the talent to play at an NAIA program or a lesser D2 like a Barry or Lander or Augusta.

Honestly, though, sometimes a kid just is who he is, and he will never be noticed by anyone at any showcase. But that kid still might have the talent to play at an NAIA program or a lesser D2 like a Barry or Lander or Augusta.

If you're throwing 80 MPH, you're better off training all summer to get to 86-88 instead of throwing 80 in a PG tournament and watching the scouts walk away after 5 pitches. Or if you are 5'9" and 140 pounds, you might be better off lifting all summer until those flyouts turn into doubles/homeruns.

If you're throwing 80 MPH, you're better off training all summer to get to 86-88 instead of throwing 80 in a PG tournament and watching the scouts walk away after 5 pitches. Or if you are 5'9" and 140 pounds, you might be better off lifting all summer until those flyouts turn into doubles/homeruns.

Yeah, I agree that you need to keep training, but my point is that a showcase event isn't going to end with an offer for everyone, even for the kids who have talent to keep playing. There is some pretty mediocre college baseball out there, which means that there is a place to play for just about every senior in Florida. But most seniors in Florida don't get offers in Jupiter. They end the year with no offers without realizing how many teams there are in America that weren't standing behind home plate when he was batting at the showcase.

It's not all about the travel ball events, anyway. If that kid magically goes from 80 to 88 over the course of a summer, he can go to Marty Smith's JUCO camp for $150 and walk away with two years of free college from someone. The kid doesn't need to spend three grand to play for SWFL Elite just for the opportunity to pay 75% of his college costs at an NCAA school.

Advertisement
I played against Champ in college. Fastest baseball player I've ever seen, dude can fly!

Hes likely the fastest in the mets organization. Its the bloodlines...i can run as well and i was an ol.My father ran track in college, champs dad played baseball and made it to the orioles organization. We got a whole bunch of speed in the fam. As his power gets up..once he gets on base hes a problem.

Hes likely the fastest in the mets organization. Its the bloodlines...i can run as well and i was an ol.My father ran track in college, champs dad played baseball and made it to the orioles organization. We got a whole bunch of speed in the fam. As his power gets up..once he gets on base hes a problem.

He should make it to the bigs just on his speed alone and defensive ability. Rooting for him!

There was a player a few years ago who came over here from the Bahamas and played with Elite Squad. He was very raw, but had unbelievable athleticism/upside, and was seen on the travel ball circuit, not at a high school field. Luicius Fox ended up signing for 6 million dollars with the San Francisco Giants. Pretty cool story below (with a Roger Tomas reference for Canes fans).

6 Million Dollar Man: The Lucius Fox Story – Elite Squad Baseball
Didnt know much of Lucious....but knew of Anfernee.

Dude earned that money big time...The other kids are all playing in the minors now as well.

Advertisement
Back