anyone plugged in with high school baseball?

gogeta4

All-ACC
I got a group of kids just moving to south florida and would like to know the scene for high school baseball?> Whats schools are good to go to get recruited, what camps to go to or leagues to play in?. Anyone into it can ya help me out/.

Advertisement
I got a group of kids just moving to south florida and would like to know the scene for high school baseball?> Whats schools are good to go to get recruited, what camps to go to or leagues to play in?. Anyone into it can ya help me out/.
I have no clue about the baseball scene...but for some reason...I feel like Belen Jesuit and American Hertitage have good baseball programs

Not because I'm biased but I think Troy Cameron at STA is the best teacher of the game (at least in Broward County).

Obviously, Bruce Aven is a former MLBer and runs a top program at American Heritage.

When Archbishop McCarthy deemphasized baseball last year, all of their top players went to Monsignor Pace and all of the kids speak highly of Tom Duffin.

There are a lot of options for high school aged kids in South Florida.

A lot of it depends on their background. How old are they? Were they playing wherever they're moving from? If so, at what level? If they're not elite players now, taking them to a Pace or STA would be a waste of time. So, again, it really depends on your assessment of them up to this point.

Advertisement
Columbus High as much as I hate to admit it. American Heritage and I don't know if Brito is still any good but Manny Machado came out of there and is one of the highest high school draftees.

Baseball recruiting depends mostly on your travel team, not your high school team. The best travel team in South Florida is Elite Squad. Half of UM’s current roster played with Elite Squad (slight exaggeration). Past greats like Willie Abreu and Zach Collins played there as well.

American Heritage, Monsignor Pace, Columbus, Stoneman Douglas, Calvary Christian, St. Thomas Aquinas

Advertisement
Travel baseball is huge down here and the top squad down here is Elite Squad run by Richie Palmer, the brother of former Miami baseball player Tyler Palmer

In reality, it doesn't really matter what school you go to. If the kid can play early in his high school career and show-out, then schools will find him

A lot of it depends on their background. How old are they? Were they playing wherever they're moving from? If so, at what level? If they're not elite players now, taking them to a Pace or STA would be a waste of time. So, again, it really depends on your assessment of them up to this point.

Raw kids from out of the Bahamas. As raw as can be. But out of my fam we got out of the same small island 2 fam members drafted to MLB and one a good member of the Mets organization currently in the same years. I remember Pace to be real good when i grew up. Currently looking at Publics in Broward or so...How do you get on these travel squads, etc. You guys gave good info real quick.
I'll say if they even has a smidgen of talent of my other 2 cousins they would at worst be productive div 1-div 2 level baseball players with possibility for mlb growth.

Raw kids from out of the Bahamas. As raw as can be. But out of my fam we got out of the same small island 2 fam members drafted to MLB and one a good member of the Mets organization currently in the same years. I remember Pace to be real good when i grew up. Currently looking at Publics in Broward or so...How do you get on these travel squads, etc. You guys gave good info real quick.
I'll say if they even has a smidgen of talent of my other 2 cousins they would at worst be productive div 1-div 2 level baseball players with possibility for mlb growth.

High school doesn't really matter, college coaches don't go to high school games. Get them on a good summer team with connections to college coaches (Richie Palmer knows every college coach in the Southeast). Get them to the Elite Squad Tryout this Fall, they usually have a bunch of colleges present there too.

Is the guy with the Mets Champ Stuart?

Advertisement
This is not true.

Colleges "rarely" go to high school games. Their seasons are at the same time as high school, and colleges play/practice 6 days a week. In my last 2 years of coaching in Broward County, I saw a total of 0 college coaches.

See below, this is the WWBA World Championships in Jupiter. This is where kids get recruited, not on a high school field.

CveED7mVMAEoaeu[1].jpg

NCAA just changed a number of recruiting rules for sports other than football and baseball. Will definitely have a big impact on summer baseball

Advertisement
High school doesn't really matter, college coaches don't go to high school games. Get them on a good summer team with connections to college coaches (Richie Palmer knows every college coach in the Southeast). Get them to the Elite Squad Tryout this Fall, they usually have a bunch of colleges present there too.

Is the guy with the Mets Champ Stuart?

Thanks for the info.

Yup thats my younger cousin....Strong BLOODLINES. We got two out of the fam that were draft picks...Champ could likely play football div 1 level too with work with Prop Joe.

Colleges "rarely" go to high school games. Their seasons are at the same time as high school, and colleges play/practice 6 days a week. In my last 2 years of coaching in Broward County, I saw a total of 0 college coaches.

See below, this is the WWBA World Championships in Jupiter. This is where kids get recruited, not on a high school field.

View attachment 61131

**** looks like the s.fla football scene with college coaches. ****

Thanks for the info.

Yup thats my younger cousin....Strong BLOODLINES. We got two out of the fam that were draft picks...Champ could likely play football div 1 level too with work with Prop Joe.

I played against Champ in college. Fastest baseball player I've ever seen, dude can fly!

View attachment 61131

This is extremely misleading, because all of those guys are there watching one elite player on that one field, probably a pitcher. The other 1500 kids in the tournament paid $3,000 to play travel ball and most of them won't be contacted by a single school. That's where the relationship with a solid high school coach comes in. The high school coach, who actually knows the kid, can help establish relationships with smaller schools that didn't happen to see the kid play in a travel ball tournament.

Just this spring I saw Kevin O'Sullivan, St Leo's staff, USF's staff, several JUCO coaches, and several northern coaches in the RussMatt Invitational show up at high school games.

If we're fair to gogeta here, we have to stop advising him as though he's trying to find a place for Carlos Correa to play.

Advertisement
Back