Anyone know the people in this pic?

In his free time, is butch learning in game coaching?

Because I was under the impression that is one of our biggest problems and one he isn't the best at solving.

because I thought our coaches are masters at in game coaching.

So replace bad in game coaching with bad in game coaching?

Say what you want but Butch has had more success at UNC than Golden has had here. Had he stayed at UNC we would not be worrying about Duke.

Really?!? More success?!? Butch was 20-18 thru 3 years at NC (28-23 overall) and Golden is 22-15 thru 3 years.

Really?!? Butch took over North Carolina who might as well have been Duke in its worst years as far as football is concerned. Golden took over Miami and is in the holy grail of recruiting backyards. The fact that Butch's first 3 years is that close is impressive.

Advertisement
Personally I would think coming back to coach college football in this day in age would be difficult for Butch. Times have changed drastically in the relatively short period of time since he's been away from coaching. Plus the energy level required in recruiting would be to much for an aging Butch to expend.
Sadly I think is time is up, especially at a program like Miami. Maybe a smaller less demanding program would be a fit.

If I'm Pete Garcia I'd have Butch in my sights.

That's a fair point. But believe it or not, Butch is actually younger than Nick Saban by 17 days and Saban seems to be managing a major program and expending energy just fine, even though their scenarios are completely different. I know the college game has changed since Butch left UNC, but I hope we can all agree that after one acclimation year Butch would hit the ground running. Butch's biggest strengths, other than his player evaluations, were his assistant coaching evaluations. He'd lock up talented coordinators that could recruit their pants off in a similar manner to Saban and Butch is a lot more likable in person than he is as far as recruiting down here and in general.

His time may be up, but the fact that he has all the good qualities I've named make him a smart gamble. The worst he could do is still be better than the three coaches that have succeeded him. The Butch-Saban comparison may be apples to oranges given the different circumstances, but with Butch's comments in mind, it shows me that he has enough energy to get after it and really try to correct a mistake he made in early 2001.

Last edited:
Personally I would think coming back to coach college football in this day in age would be difficult for Butch. Times have changed drastically in the relatively short period of time since he's been away from coaching. Plus the energy level required in recruiting would be to much for an aging Butch to expend.
Sadly I think is time is up, especially at a program like Miami. Maybe a smaller less demanding program would be a fit.

That's a fair point. But believe it or not, Butch is actually younger than Nick Saban by 17 days and Saban seems to be managing a major program and expending energy just fine, even though their scenarios are completely. I know the college game has changed since Butch left UNC, but I hope we can all agree that after one acclimation year Butch would hit the ground running. Butch's biggest strengths, other than his player evaluations, were his assistant coaching evaluations. He'd lock up talented coordinators that could recruit their pants off in a similar manner to Saban and Butch is a lot more likable in person than he is as far as recruiting down here and in general.

His time may be up, but the fact that he has all the good qualities I've named make him a smart gamble. The worst he could do is still be better than the three coaches that have succeeded him. The Butch-Saban comparison may be apples to oranges given the different circumstances, but with Butch's comments in mind, it shows me that he has enough energy to get after it and really try to correct a mistake he made in early 2001.

The most important part you mentioned, Butch brings in good assistants who know what to do with players. Golden brings in dorito, coley, and jethro. He fired freaking Petri for Jethro. I did think he had a good eye for coaches when he brought in Fisch, but I think he just got a good word from other coaches.

That's a fair point. But believe it or not, Butch is actually younger than Nick Saban by 17 days and Saban seems to be managing a major program and expending energy just fine, even though their scenarios are completely. I know the college game has changed since Butch left UNC, but I hope we can all agree that after one acclimation year Butch would hit the ground running. Butch's biggest strengths, other than his player evaluations, were his assistant coaching evaluations. He'd lock up talented coordinators that could recruit their pants off in a similar manner to Saban and Butch is a lot more likable in person than he is as far as recruiting down here and in general.

Saban started his Bama gig at like 54 or something and now has Bama on cruise control. Plus his budget is 10xs that of what Miami coaches have to work with making his job easier.
Butch would have to hustle more at an older age than when Saban took over Bama.

People just got to let go of the Butch idea. It really would not be a smart gamble. At this point Butch would just be a retread.
We don't need retreads.
The architects of the UM Dynasty and the Head Coaches that sustained it were all early to mid 40 coaches. They had just the right amount of experience and were reaching the pinnacle of their professional performance. Heck Butch in his mid 40's.
But to get a washed out retread at 62 to come back GTFOH with that bullcrap as if he was the only coach available.

Saban started his Bama gig at like 54 or something and now has Bama on cruise control. Plus his budget is 10xs that of what Miami coaches have to work with making his job easier.

People just got to let go of the Butch idea. It really would not be a smart gamble. At this point Butch would just be a retread.
We don't need retreads.
The architects of the UM Dynasty and the Head Coaches that sustained it were all early to mid 40 coaches. They had just the right amount of experience and were reaching the pinnacle of their professional performance. Heck Butch in his mid 40's.
But to get a washed out retread at 62 to come back GTFOH with that bullcrap as if he was the only coach available.

It takes a genius . . .

Like who are you going to get that can even hold Butch's visor when it comes to acquiring talent?

Who you going to get who actually built a program back up from ashes to field the National Championship team the following year?

Who are you going to get who already KNOWS South Florida recruiting like Butch Davis?

Who you going to get who can also pick some damned fine Coordinators and coaches?

Siht. GTFOH.

Advertisement

We don't need retreads.

I think the very fact that Butch has been through here before is why he wouldn't have to hustle as much. The relationships that Golden is still attempting to build and not having overwhelming success with are already in place if Butch comes back. There may be different coaches at those schools, but his respect is still in place. Just as important is that he won't be viewed as some Yankee interloper/outsider. Golden is still fighting that stigma.

The Butch idea is easily the best one on the table for the exact reason you just mentioned. We don't have the budget for a current high profile coach as it is and firing Golden would only make the problem that much worse with the buyout. Every hiring of a coach is essentially a gamble. Hiring Butch is a smarter one than any options that can be thought of now given the school's history of extreme cheapness.

What's wrong with a retread and why don't we need one? It's not like the last three coaches that weren't retreads were successful to this point. And if age is really your greatest concern, that's a gross oversimplification. Being 62 doesn't mean he can't recruit, evaluate talent, hire competent assistants, or put together a winning team. The drafting/recruiting of players like Lavonte David, Robert Quinn, and Quinton Coples speaks to his elite eye for talent and development especially, which I think has been missing the most from the Golden teams.

The fact that Butch is 62 and a, "retread," as you say it are not nearly the massive problems you're making them out to be. His being a retread may be a strength as he can sell coaching Ed Reed, Bryant McKinnie, Reggie Wayne, and Santana Moss. That luxury of NFL players we can brag about to recruits is closing and Butch would be able to salvage that by bragging that he actually coached them, despite the fact that their NFL production has dwindled.

He's not the only coach available, but if you have another real suggestion, I'd love to hear it even though it's only April. I think Butch would come back here and be very successful again, despite being old and a, "retread," as you say. He's also a likely hire to the administration because of his affordability and popularity with the fans. The only two things holding him back would be how he left in 2001 and the NCAA problems. He's not the only coach available, but he's the best available, smartest all-around choice available, and will likely remain that way come December.

Last edited:
because I thought our coaches are masters at in game coaching.

So replace bad in game coaching with bad in game coaching?

Say what you want but Butch has had more success at UNC than Golden has had here. Had he stayed at UNC we would not be worrying about Duke.

Really?!? More success?!? Butch was 20-18 thru 3 years at NC (28-23 overall) and Golden is 22-15 thru 3 years.

Really?!? Butch took over North Carolina who might as well have been Duke in its worst years as far as football is concerned. Golden took over Miami and is in the holy grail of recruiting backyards. The fact that Butch's first 3 years is that close is impressive.

Butch also had to deal with tougher schedules than Golden has had to

We don't need retreads.

I think the very fact that Butch has been through here before is why he wouldn't have hustle as much. The relationships that Golden is still attempting to build and not having overwhelming success with are already in place if Butch comes back. There may be different coaches at those schools, but his respect is still in place. Just as important is that he won't be viewed as some Yankee interloper/outsider. Golden is still fighting that stigma.

The Butch idea is easily the best one on the table for the exact reason you just mentioned. We don't have the budget for a current high profile coach as it is and firing Golden would only make the problem that much worse with the buyout. Every hiring of a coach is essentially a gamble. Hiring Butch is a smarter one than any options that can be thought of now given the school's history of extreme cheapness.

What's wrong with a retread and why don't we need one? It's not like the last three coaches that weren't retreads were successful to this point. And if age is really your greatest concern, that's a gross oversimplification. Being 62 doesn't mean he can't recruit, evaluate talent, hire competent assistants, or put together a winning team. The drafting/recruiting of players like Lavonte David, Robert Quinn, and Quinton Coples speaks to his elite eye for talent and development especially, which I think has been missing the most from the Golden teams.

The fact that Butch is 62 and a, "retread," as you say it are not nearly the massive problems you're making them out to be. His being a retread may be a strength as he can sell coaching Ed Reed, Bryant McKinnie, Reggie Wayne, and Santana Moss. That luxury of NFL players we can brag about to recruits is closing and Butch would be able to salvage that by bragging that he actually coached them, despite the fact that their NFL production has dwindled.

He's not the only coach available, but if you have another real suggestion, I'd love to hear it even though it's only April. I think Butch would come back here and be very successful again, despite being old and a, "retread," as you say. He's also a likely hire to the administration because of his affordability and popularity with the fans. The only two things holding him back would be how he left in 2001 and the NCAA problems. He's not the only coach available, but he's the best available, smartest all-around choice available, and will likely remain that way come December.

Everybody forgets the most important part with Butch Davis, and that is he is a direct tie to the Jimmy Johnson era for his early coaching experience. There was nobody better at the game of College Football coaching than Jimmy not even Nick Saban.

Advertisement
296.jpg

We don't need retreads.

I think the very fact that Butch has been through here before is why he wouldn't have hustle as much. The relationships that Golden is still attempting to build and not having overwhelming success with are already in place if Butch comes back. There may be different coaches at those schools, but his respect is still in place. Just as important is that he won't be viewed as some Yankee interloper/outsider. Golden is still fighting that stigma.

News to me that Golden is struggling in building relationships down here. Sounds more like unfounded conjecture than anything.
And the coaching landscape has changed since Butch was last here. To make it sound like he'll just pick up where he left off is being naive.
I dunno, Butch has gone through a lot.. Looks beat up. I question if he has the heart and energy to go through it again. Especially in this town with this fan base. Would be a glutton for pain if he does..

As for my suggestion.. You really don't have to look far for it.. Actually don't have to look at all as he's already here.
Like Butch was given 2000 to prove himself, Golden has 2014.

Advertisement

We don't need retreads.

News to me that Golden is struggling in building relationships down here. Sounds more like unfounded conjecture than anything.
And the coaching landscape has changed since Butch was last here. To make it sound like he'll just pick up where he left off is being naive.
I dunno, Butch has gone through a lot.. Looks beat up. I question if he has the heart and energy to go through it again. Especially in this town with this fan base. Would be a glutton for pain if he does..

As for my suggestion.. You really don't have to look far for it.. Actually don't have to look at all as he's already here.
Like Butch was given 2000 to prove himself, Golden has 2014.

If you don't think Golden has struggled to build relationships then you're the one being naïve. Every moderator on this site has implied it and the ordeals with Booker T. Washington in 2013, Champagnant this year, and Dwyer speak to that. That's why he hosted his coaching clinic in the first place: To attempt to build relationships that he doesn't yet have.

I didn't say Butch would pick up where he left off. I said that it took him 6 years before through the course of some horrendous circumstances to get the machine running. That experience would prepare him for a similar project down here. He has the Miami experience that Randy had with the recruiting skill of Golden. It's foolish to think that the local coaches have remained the same. It's also foolish to think that Butch would not be able to acclimate to them quickly based off of his history.

Butch does look haggard, but I certainly think he has the heart and energy to take over an easier situation than the one he took over in 1995. You can see it in his quotes how enthused he is at the prospect of returning and getting the chance to right a wrong. He knows the fan base is part of the job and he's dealt with us at our absolute worst. But let's not pretend that if he was hired back he wouldn't be met with cheers and praises at his return, at least temporarily. He may be a glutton for pain, but I think that he's willing to endure it in exchange for chances at a national championship which is the reason he would return here: To win national championships.

The major portion of your response that I agree with is that this entire argument is a moot point if Golden rises to the occasion this year. 2014 is do or die for him and not winning the Coastal or going less than 8-4 and he should pack his bags and beat it. This discussion will only be relevant come December of this year.

Last edited:
Our fan base have female shoulders, protecting an unproven commodity in Golden. I would love to be wrong, unfortunately we have a coach who has shown zero evidence that he will turn it around

Other side note about Butch. When it looked like Golden was Penn State bound and Butch was the only name being connected to the job, you should have seen the reactions on the Florida State and Florida boards. Their unabashed terror at the prospect of Butch returning might have been one of the most satisfying moments I've ever experienced.

Advertisement
Other side note about Butch. When it looked like Golden was Penn State bound and Butch was the only name being connected to the job, you should have seen the reactions on the Florida State and Florida boards. Their unabashed terror at the prospect of Butch returning might have been one of the most satisfying moments I've ever experienced.

Wish I could have seen it. Everyone knows how good Butch is except Miami fans.

Wish I could have seen it. Everyone knows how good Butch is except Miami fans.

just knowing that Butch is unemployed and would probably jump at the chance to come back here and we are just sitting tight with the worst coach we've had since at least the late 70s makes me sick

Advertisement
Back